• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Merry Christmas to you also Andy.

This discussion doesn't need insults, and doesn't need to get personal. I'm not just singling you out there are quite a few people on this thread getting off topic. The issue is about what we want as a community, and how we act as a community is important.

Planning and compatibility issues don't need to be about social status, income or education levels.

I apologize once again for getting off the subject of the thread. The maintenance of the unique status of SoWal is of utmost importance to me. Back to the subject at hand.

Last edited:

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Irregardless of how locals and visitors feel about the proposed Hampton and any potential impact on traffic in the neighborhood let us consider this one fact. Beach access in the proposed area is limited at best with the erosion problem by Eastern Lake along minimal parking areas. Ramsgate to the west of Eastern Lake has a beach access however parking once again an issue. Less then two miles to the east lies Prominence and this development has NO BEACH ACCESS for this planned community. Deer Lake to the west is a State Park with paid beach access only. It seems to me that the pristine beaches in the nearby areas will continue to be overused and overrun with the growth in the area. What is the sense of encouraging more people to come to the beach when there is no place for people to access them? Hello McFly.. Is anyone home? BTW Happy Holidays to all our posters!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Me neither, but Carson lives right next door to Luke Bryant.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
Frankly, as a fairly frequent visitor to Seagrove Beach and the Beaches of South Walton, I don't find the area all that unique. What's charming about a mishmash of houses and condos jammed up next to each other and new ones going up all the time? It may be unique that there seems to be a lot of elitist property owners in the area.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
Frankly, as a fairly frequent visitor to Seagrove Beach and the Beaches of South Walton, I don't find the area all that unique. What's charming about a mishmash of houses and condos jammed up next to each other and new ones going up all the time? It may be unique that there seems to be a lot of elitist property owners in the area.

You are correct. Being able to pay a million bucks cash for a second home is pretty elite, financially speaking.

A lot of the structures are a mishmash, some would say eclectic. But what makes the area unique is the diversity between the planned communities - Rosemary, Alys, Seaside, WaterColor, etc. These are embedded in a mishmash of old cottages, concrete bunkers, and other beach homes, townhomes, and condos that are all over the map. I find Grayton Beach, Blue Moutnain Beach, Dune Allen also charming and somewhat unique from each other.

What really makes SoWal unique is the natural landscape. Sadly it is being killed off and a chain hotel is just another nail in the coffin.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the bay and everything south of the bay had been made a national park a hundred years ago? We caould all be staying in chain hotels on the interstate or in Freeport to visit.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove

I live in Seagrove and I have been literally to every beach town in Florida from the Floribama to the Keys to Fernandina Beach and there is no other area like South Walton. Outside of the obvious natural beauty, the towns are very diverse. Being a new fulltimer and having vacationed here for almost 20 years, I can say there is a clear distinction between the two. There are a lot of other things that you come to appreciate. So I respectfully disagree, the food, the arts, the culture, the lifestyle are the best in the state in my opinion.

unclecarl

Beach Comber
Feb 9, 2013
I have to agree with those who feel that the county planning commission will most likely side with the developer of this project, against the wishes of the majority of the residents. I am not a regular at the commission meetings But in those I have attended it is rare that the commission rejects new development, regardless of how well the opposing views are expressed.