• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hollibird

Beach Lover
I guess shelly really didn't know what I meant. Of course I dont want my value to be raised up to my neighbors. I think they should all be lowered even more. I was stating that the values were all over the place and gave that example. I couldn't sell my house in this market for $740K if I tried. They over assessed me, but they practically raped my neighbor.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Hollibird said:
I guess shelly really didn't know what I meant. Of course I dont want my value to be raised up to my neighbors. I think they should all be lowered even more. I was stating that the values were all over the place and gave that example. I couldn't sell my house in this market for $740K if I tried. They over assessed me, but they practically raped my neighbor.

I believe the disconnect came when you mentioned in your post that you were going to petition your tax rate--even though it was lower than your neighbor's, who had a house inferior to your own.

For your own protection, you may want to check with everyone on the block, because if you go down there alone, you may let loose the tax hounds who will sniff out some more "best kept secrets" in the 'hood. ;-)

jhelms

Beach Comber
May 24, 2006
Otherwise, I feel that taxes should be fair and equitable for everyone who owns property in the area. We may not live there full time as of yet, but surely have a vested interest in what goes on politically in all aspects.

The people who bought for the long run, or have second homes DO have a vested interest in the area. Just because fiscally they can not live there full time, doesn't mean that they don't care.

Amen!

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Got our proposed tax bill for a property we own in Santa Rosa and it went down a little - still nothing on the condos - but I am sure they will be in the mail soon as well.

jhelms

Beach Comber
May 24, 2006
While 2nd homeowners and investors should pay more than those in a primary residence (which they do if they have no homestead exemption), any attempts 'stick it to the interlopers' as it were could backfire. Whether it is a primary home or not, a luxury or not, increasing taxes and insurance on those folks to unreasonable levels does not do anyone any good either. Many of the 2nd homeowners have owned in the area for a long time and are no more speculating that someone with a primary residence. They may have a reasonable mortgage and enough income to support the property, but if you tax everyone out of the market, which home do you think is going to go up for sale or into foreclosure? Not the primary residence, wherever it may be. And of course while that would not be as serious as someone losing their primary residence, a bunch of foreclosures/defaults/properties for sale doesn't help the local economy either.

Face it, the area is a tourist area and is supported to a great deal by 2nd homeowners and renters of those properties.

Totally agree... great statements.

laurawood

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2006
my property taxes are 30% more this year than last year. Homeowner insurance on a double wide trailer that cost $30,000 altogether was $120 a month for me, my insurance carrier notified me that it will be triple this year. $360 a month to insure a trailer in defuniak?????!!!!!!
does anyone know of a better insurance company?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
my property taxes are 30% more this year than last year. Homeowner insurance on a double wide trailer that cost $30,000 altogether was $120 a month for me, my insurance carrier notified me that it will be triple this year. $360 a month to insure a trailer in defuniak?????!!!!!!
does anyone know of a better insurance company?

I met someone last week who is facing the same thing. Her doublewide in Citrus County was up for renewal by Citizens and it was going to cost her $3300/year. She dropped it and talked to her mortgage company about getting insurance only for the amount of the balance of her mortgage, and they found her such a policy. Saved her a lot but offers very little protection. :sosad:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
There are lots of things going on in Tallahassee(gov and legislature). Ya'll might think about contacting your representatives and writing the governor
with your insurance concerns.

Even those who are not Florida residents have the ability to make an impact on our leadership because of the tourism/second home economy factors.

Just a thought--let those who have the power to make a difference, know how you feel! (in another life, I was a lobbyist)::D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
For anyone planning an appeal for the taxes, if you need some comps pulled on closed sales or listings which haven't sold at prices higher than your assessed value, feel free to ask me, and I will help you when I am able. I am uncertain if it will carry any weight in your appeal, but you can use it if you feel it will help state your side of the case.