• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
A lowball offer doesn't make you a vulture - no law says that they have to accept it!

Only in the land of crazy real estate are people "so insulted by your lowball offer (for 1.5 to 2x what they paid for it a few years ago) that they won't dignify it with a response. :roll:

I have some quality phrases to describe someone crying poverty and hardship to justify wanting to sell unimproved vacant land for 5-20x their purchase price a couple years ago ............;-)

For starters scooterbug, the property listed on this thread was purchased almost 7 years ago, I haven't seen a poverty declaration, and futher, I do not think there are any listings out there from sellers asking 2X what they paid a couple of years ago. It's quite evident from your naivette that you neither own property or are in the market for real estate.

I found it rather gauche for someone to comment on someones low cost basis and potential profit, hence my comment, which has brought forth so much debate.
For the record, I have researched cost basis when buying property and would do the same in the current Sowal real estate environment if I were in the market to buy "Investments" that I planned to hold short and sell for profit. The point earlier I was trying to make is if one is an end user, (someone who wants to live on said property or use as second home) and other lots are selling for significantly higher in the same development that the one I may be interested in is, and one is ready to buy now, the sellers cost basis is irrelevent when there is a meeting of minds on price. A buyer could lowball an offer all they like, but there is a price point where a seller will wait for their price when they have a low cost basis. If the property is well priced, the buyers will come.

I know someone selling a home due to relocation.(not in Sowal) She dropped her price and had 16 showings in one week.
Five families coming back next week for second viewings, however one clown decided to throw out an offer for significantly less than the reduced asking price, and has been doing this all around town.
People like this waste the time of realtors and sellers.
With five families returning next week, I think there's a good chance she will come to a meeting of minds with one of them.

joehomes4me

Beach Comber
Mar 22, 2006
Is this the same land / lot, wherein the auction head earlier this year, with a starting / min bid of $200K yielded ZERO buyers?

Does the buyer believe the new price which is approx 30% higher than the previous auction NO offers price of 200k will yield a sale. If so, what does indicate about auctions if the property sells for a price higher than 200k?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Regardless of the 'dry powder' that someone has, this is a tough market that many people wouldn't do again if they knew the current situation -well researched or speculator.

Maybe not Real Estate....but folks with a need for greed will go along with the next "no risk/high reward make-money-fast scheme" that comes down the pipe.

At what point did we stop working to earn our fortune and start searching for easy ways to quick wealth?

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Maybe not Real Estate....but folks with a need for greed will go along with the next "no risk/high reward make-money-fast scheme" that comes down the pipe.

At what point did we stop working to earn our fortune and start searching for easy ways to quick wealth?

I can't speak to the "we" as a society, not yet anyway I'd have to research a bit. But for me personally it was my 26th birthday.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Never thought I'd see the day when TN property was more expensive that beach property :blink:
I suspect your market is strong for all the right reasons. I further suspect this market will once again swing upward wildly because of the beauty of the area. I find it ironic that all the gratuitous, negative, self-serving comments come from people who are obsessed with this area, and desperately want a piece of 30A. The negative posts on this board are only indicative of the poster's reality. The typical pattern here is the Realtor posts, and then the snide comments ensue, and nothing new is learned, other than a few choice folks here have major issues.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
I don?t begrudge anyone making a profit and I agree that the owners of this parcel had wonderful insight to purchase when they did. I sincerely hope they get their asking price. I do believe that researching cost basis is an important part of the equation if someone is contemplating a purchase. There are plenty of examples out there of properties purchased in 2004/2005 that are now for sale with an asking price 30% ? 50% greater than the buy price. I?m sorry but that really wasn?t that long ago, and if someone bought at the height of the bubble, then ?oh well?. I really think this is one of the main reasons that the market isn?t moving.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
I suspect your market is strong for all the right reasons. I further suspect this market will once again swing upward wildly because of the beauty of the area. I find it ironic that all the gratuitous, negative, self-serving comments come from people who are obsessed with this area, and desperately want a piece of 30A. The negative posts on this board are only indicative of the poster's reality. The typical pattern here is the Realtor posts, and then the snide comments ensue, and nothing new is learned, other than a few choice folks here have major issues.
Is that post positive or negative? And what new something should I glean from it?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Some of you are new and the rest of you should already know that we don't editorialize on threads that offer property for sale. In the future, please start new threads for that.

Let's be fair to the thread starter and help them sell - thanks!