331 Cafe trades sushi for oyster bar

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by SoWalSally, Mar 5, 2007.

1. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Color me there. Oli, I hope you have invested in lots of soda crackers, Crystal and Tabasco.

Considering your location and traffic, there is some potential there to absolutely corner the SoWal oyster market. Other than Acme down at Baytowne (who serve Louisiana, not Apalachicola oysters), I don't know of many places in the immediate area I'll eat them. And there are so many different things you can do with them - Rockefeller, chargrilled, Mosca, en brochette, etc, etc.

And while I love me a California roll, give me a dozen (or two) bivalves and a cold Heineken anytime.

Wise decision and probably a signficantly lower overhead to boot.

2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Hey Oli..... Ever considered a Sowaller discount??? :scratch: Kinda like Amore's "secret code word" :D

3. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1: count us in! we love some appalach oysters. I think this is grayt ! We will all have to come in spring break and see just how many we can eat!:clap_1:

4. rapunzel

rapunzel Beach Fanatic

Ummm...chargrilled...my favorite. I love Drago's (in New Orleans) chargrilled oysters with the butter/garlic/parmesan baste. Please, Oli, do chargrilled!

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

JB, you can eat my Saltines. Those things are just meaningless filler for the smaller oysters. With good oysters, all I need is a touch of good cocktail sauce.

RiverOtter, $4/dz raw and $2 beer IS the SoWaller discount. Oli is just giving it to everyone without the fancy code words. ;-)

Unfortunately, if I go to the 3Thirty1 during the next six weeks, I have to fight college students for a seat at the Oyster Bar. :bang:

6. Indigo Jill

Indigo Jill Beach Fanatic

:clap_1: I totally agree JB. Great biz decision, Oli! I bet you will attract more tourists, also, as you can go pretty much anywhere in Sowal and order sushi now...but trying to find fresh oysters (and maybe steamed bay shrimp or something else local?) is tough!

I would really market the heck out of this. Have you ever considered doing steamed seafood platters/buckets...like Old Bay Steamers on Okaloosa?? I still can't believe no one is really doing this - well, Bayou Bills is but....I won't say more about Bayou Bills.

7. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Oh, I don't eat crackers. But most do. And I rarely use cocktail sauce. I just loosen the oyster from the shell, add two shakes of Tabasco and empty the contents into my mouth. Follow that with a nice pull from a longneck and I'm in heaven.

8. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

Me too, that is just the way I like 'em!!!! YUMMY!

9. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Just save the pearls for me.

10. kathydwells

You got it.

11. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

KDW....I think this calls for a run over there when you are down next week! I am ready!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  12. kathydwells

:clap_1: And we will drag TripleB with us. Not that he needs any oysters or anything..if you know what I mean. ;-)

13. drsvelte

drsvelte Beach Fanatic

Very good idea:clap_1: We'll drop in next week, so stock up on the horseradish! Chargrilled are now the rage in South Louisiana and they would be a great complement.

14. janalea

janalea Beach Comber

Can anyone tell me where the 331 Cafe is located? Coming down next month and would love to try it!

15. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

Rte 331 just north of US98 - right near the bridge - west side. Seabar is across the street.

16. janalea

janalea Beach Comber

Thanks! Can't wait to try it. I'm on my 3 week countdown! I can almost smell the salty air now...:chill:

17. KY oyster eater

KY oyster eater Beach Lover

I have to warn you Oli, the last time I was in Panama City I went to Dusty's three days straight and consumed something like 258 oysters give or take a few.......Appalachacola is the way to go! I will be visiting you in July.....love your prices and am willing to spend the kids hair braidin' money on more than a few dozen of those succulent morsels.....I can taste 'em now........Ky oyster eater

18. KY oyster eater

KY oyster eater Beach Lover

Not being overly family-ilier with exactly where the 331 Cafe is located, could you steer this Kentucky boy to abouts where it is and what it is by? Be down in July, save some of those succulent medium sized bi-valves for us!

19. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

On Hwy 331, on the southwest end of the bridge. Seabar is directly across the street. So coming from Louisville, as your crossing the 331 bridge and yelling "woo woo woo were are here!!", look directly to your right as you come off the bridge and you will see the restaurant.

20. oli

oli Mr. Potato Head's worst nightmare

thanks buddy we will be there come during happy hour ,they are 4 $ a dozen shucked in front of you, if you know what i mean......plus 2$ for long necks you might have a few bucks left for the kids hair.....