• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
so so so true. absolutely no need - at least for you and me. I have family and friends who drive into SoWal, check into their condo or house (or my house) and the first vacation activity is a half day trip to Destin Walmart to buy stuff. I have never understood and I shall never understand, but some folks (and I know and love several) thrive on the mere thought of going to Wallyworld to buy stuff.

I do not buy the "people who are budget conscious" argument. People absolutely do not have to go to Walmart in order to live within a budget. In fact, not going to Walmart will probably save the average Walmart shopper thousands per year.. not going to Walmart is a good step towards becoming a more thoughtful consumer. (no doubt there are those who do shop at walmart and buy only what they need, giving consideration to their budget and what they need v. what they want, as a thoughtful consumer. I just don't know very many of them. including myself whenever I venture into wallyworld once in a blue moon).

I was going to let this thread go to but then someone makes that statement. Well I have done the not going to wally for a yr and going to wally for a yr deal and compared cost, we saved around 1100$ by going there as opposed to just going to publix and kroger all the time. Now that was my savings, I dont know what the walmart haters buy but 1100$ is a big start for saving for the next trip to Sowal.

Please explain how I can save "thousands" buy NOT going to wallyworld, Im all ears..

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I was going to let this thread go to but then someone makes that statement. Well I have done the not going to wally for a yr and going to wally for a yr deal and compared cost, we saved around 1100$ by going there as opposed to just going to publix and kroger all the time. Now that was my savings, I dont know what the walmart haters buy but 1100$ is a big start for saving for the next trip to Sowal.

Please explain how I can save "thousands" buy NOT going to wallyworld, Im all ears..

I believe the premise is that since, as a whole, the price of food is much, much higher at Publix than at Walmart, the consumer will be forced to take time to budget and make shopping and meal lists (at the risk of running out of money) rather than flying by the seat of one's pants when food shopping. Additionally, since Publix does not sell many items other than food, one isn't tempted (or shamed by Little Snotly and his bratty sister's screaming and pleading) into buying toys, games and clothes when one only popped in to buy low-priced milk and bread off the day-old rack.

But, if one is already following sound budget practices (making lists and buying only what one needs), then Walmart will blow any retailer out of the water when it comes to saving money.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I believe the premise is that since, as a whole, the price of food is much, much higher at Publix than at Walmart, the consumer will be forced to take time to budget and make shopping and meal lists (at the risk of running out of money) rather than flying by the seat of one's pants when food shopping. Additionally, since Publix does not sell many items other than food, one isn't tempted (or shamed by Little Snotly and his bratty sister's screaming and pleading) into buying toys, games and clothes when one only popped in to buy low-priced milk and bread off the day-old rack.

But, if one is already following sound budget practices (making lists and buying only what one needs), then Walmart will blow any retailer out of the water when it comes to saving money.

It boils down to self-control. You either have it or you don't.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Here's another example. Suppose I need ink cartridges for my printer. Where am I supposed to get them? I have no choice but to go to Destin. I can go to Best Buy, I think Office Max, or maybe Wal-mart. We need something close by for things like that. Walmart can fill that void. They sell the same ink cartridges as anybody. Everyone says buy local. One way to improve the odds of me doing that is to bring in businesses that are more accommodating than what we currently have. I guarantee you that when I do end up in Destin I inevitably head over to the Fresh Market over there rather than shop at a local Publix. That's just how it is. You want me to shop local? Then quit giving me so many compelling reasons to shop elsewhere.

Call me old fashioned, call me a geek (I was the kid in class who always had extra pencils), but I try to keep extra cartridges etc. on hand for when one runs out, and keep a list of items needed from anywhere not in central South Walton. Then I pick up these things all in one trip rather than going all the way in for one item every other day or whatever. I usually "go to town for provisions" about once a month or less, and manage to stay supplied with all necessities, while saving gas, time and peace of mind and doing what I can to reduce the trip load on our roads. On my best behavior, I call a couple of friends before going in to see if they need me to pick up things for them while I'm at it. So I just don't see a need for big boxes any nearer than they already are.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It is simple for my family. I now "split" the grocery list. Some stuff gets purchased at Walmart, the rest at mostly Publix plus a few specialty places. Believe me, Publix is making plenty of money off our shopping habits. :lol: I didn't go to Walmart for years, and I loved being smug about that, but in 2009 I can't choose feeling superior about my shopping choices over my checkbook. It's economics for us.

I don't load up my cart with a bunch of crap at Walmart- I buy the things on my list that I know for certain that is cheaper and that's it. Walmart is not a store that I like to wander around looking at stuff- it is ugly, utilitarian, and too big- I get my needs and I'm out.

Target is the one place that gets me in trouble- the slick marketing, up-to-date merchandise, and clean store makes me (and many others) want to throw everything in the cart with abandon. I avoid Target now for that reason- only going every now and then has saved me a lot of money. I find them no different than Walmart in their effect on local businesses- they both are probably detrimental in many ways.

When it was all Publix, all the time, I spent approx. $300-400/month more. And I am tracking it because I have to- when we first moved here, I noticed immediately that our grocery bill was much more than we were used to spending. I went along with it for awhile, but why should I spend more on our basic necessities if I don't have to? People's shopping habits are going to reflect their economic condition and desire to watch their money, and I found a way to save us money -the split system is working very well for us.

I was trying to figure out how Walmart came to the decision to build a new store here- I believe they ask for a zip code at checkout. There must be a bunch of 32459-ers shopping at the area Walmarts.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Call me old fashioned, call me a geek (I was the kid in class who always had extra pencils), but I try to keep extra cartridges etc. on hand for when one runs out, and keep a list of items needed from anywhere not in central South Walton. Then I pick up these things all in one trip rather than going all the way in for one item every other day or whatever. I usually "go to town for provisions" about once a month or less, and manage to stay supplied with all necessities, while saving gas, time and peace of mind and doing what I can to reduce the trip load on our roads. On my best behavior, I call a couple of friends before going in to see if they need me to pick up things for them while I'm at it. So I just don't see a need for big boxes any nearer than they already are.

We do this as well. I will wait a few days until I have 2 stops or more. I don't even go to Miramar unless there are a couple of destinations!:lol:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

for one, you are only saving on certain products. but my point was this: when you go to Walmart, you are going to do a lot more impulse buying of things you didn't need or plan to buy. when you did your analysis, did you take into consideration all the incidental items purchased while at Walmart that perhaps you did not need, plan or budget for? maybe you did. not sure how you could. I do wonder how much $$ the average consumer spends at walmart or sam's - say per year. versus those who stick to their local grocers and smaller stores.

based on my own experience over the years, shopping at Walmart and/or Sam's is exhausting and takes more time and money than I had planned. nearly every time. but, that's just me, and others I know and :love:. maybe I didn't go often enough like some folks. so when I do go, I feel I must stock up on this and that, and some of those and hey isn't that new fangled toilet brush cute?

I would rather just go to my local stores and get in and out. for me, I do much better on time and money.. not to mention quality and customer service. the savings on time, especially driving to Destin, truly is signficant. Going to Destin is now almost never. thankfully.

yes, jdarg - Target is a time/dollar waster when you browse around and shop - they do have some good stuff. But, I am happy to have it at Pier Park - very convenient but not too convenient. Target is way more my style (than Walmart) but truthfully - I can do without Target and anything in the store just as I can do without Walmart I guess its just a personal choice, and we are fortunate we have those choices to make.

Michael's is the one that gets me in trouble.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal

To each his own.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Target is the one place that gets me in trouble- the slick marketing, up-to-date merchandise, and clean store makes me (and many others) want to throw everything in the cart with abandon.

That, and Target's whole business model of 80% constant stock, 20% special items leads me to tend to overbuy their clearance selection when they're changing over their special items. I have not been camping since high school there, but I ended up buying a tent a while back from them because it was like $30 on 75% off clearance.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

Not sure how this morphed into a Publix vs. Walmart which is a true apples vs. oranges argument. I happen to be a Publix today and noticed they sell Christmas trees, Christmas decorations, firewood, dvds, newspapers, cleaning supplies, toys, cameras, batteries, light bulbs, extension cords, air freshener, candles, tools, flowers, balloons, school supplies, dishes, cookware, paper towels, toilet paper, shampoo, cosmetics, razors, magazines, books, and who knows what else. In the summer they stock up on beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, sandals, water toys, styrofoam coolers and all the other cheap crap made in the same countries other stores sell. They are out get your impulse dollars like every other retailer.