• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There will always be moments when you need something immediately. The bottom line is that in Sowal aside from food, there ain't much you can get locally.

What exactly does one need immediately that you can't get in Sowal or if it is important/specialized enough, make a trip to PC or Destin? :dunno:

Food, TP, medicine, emergency care, car repair are all easily available ............. other things can be delivered within a day or two.

Is there some major item I do not own that requires a Wal-mart within a 10 minute drive in case it breaks?

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
What exactly does one need immediately that you can't get in Sowal or if it is important/specialized enough, make a trip to PC or Destin? :dunno:

Food, TP, medicine, emergency care, car repair are all easily available ............. other things can be delivered within a day or two.

Is there some major item I do not own that requires a Wal-mart within a 10 minute drive in case it breaks?
I don't see how your needs and requirements pertain to mine. :dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Just trying to understand WHY you think we need Wal-mart or box stores in Sowal.

I can't think of anything I urgently need from those stores and am trying to solve the riddle.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Just trying to understand WHY you think we need Wal-mart or box stores in Sowal.

I can't think of anything I urgently need from those stores and am trying to solve the riddle.

The answer to the riddle is that life is about more than simple survival and need in this great Country and let's hope it stays that way.:D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

I don't think you will find many here who think we need big box stores in SoWal, but this thread has evolved to a discussion of why some of us shop at Walmart, why some of us don't., and why some of us do and wish we didn't have to!:lol:

We all have to find a balance of what works for our families economically and philosophically. Expecting everyone to have exactly the same ideals and follow the same norm is a bit unrealistic, but maybe everyone will take even a small part of this discussion and consider it.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

...along that line, here in SoWal do we really "need" 10 pizza places; 15 resort wear shops; 38 upscale shops that sell handbags, candles, shells & potpourri ; and 1500 Realtors?

After a strip of cloth to cover the nether regions; a pair of sunglasses; a trailer; an A/C; a store that sells ramen and wine; and a granite countertop fabricator...everything else in SoWal is just a "want."

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That explains it - I am just a freak - no Wal-mart shopping, no ramen eating, no granite countertops, no potpourri................. :D

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
No, I am saving on every product I purchase there, if I didnt it would defeat the purpose of going there. Two, I am not an impulse buyer and go in with a list. If I see something I think I want I ask myself do I need it? 99% of the time the answer is no. We do also go to publix for a few items that wally does not carry. I am not saying that the shopping experience at walmart is a pleasant one but when on a budget it is the place to get 97.6% of the things we need.

Like I said what we save through the yr allows us to come down to "your" area and spend our dollars and support your local economy, we stay and dine in sowal and do not spend any $$ in destin or pcb. I believe, correct me if Im wrong, that is a win-win situation for you and your areas local merchants?

I will also speculate that there is a very large number of tourist who do the same thing I am describing. I also understand the argument of why you would not want a walmart there, but from what I see it will not be in the scenic area. How do you fight a giant such as walmart? Only way I see that happening is for the nation to boycott them, but we all know that is not going to happen.

you sound like a very thoughtful consumer PC. I appreciate your comments.

It boils down to self-control. You either have it or you don't.

well, that is true I suppose, at least to an extent. super stores have super marketing strategies that do a real number on consumers, including myself. the entire purpose of a super store is to have consumers walk through the door and consume as much as possible. people are drawn in with those low prices (never considering the real cost of those low prices) and then they become convinced that walmart is the best place to shop for all their needs and it literally becomes a way of life. from what I have seen and heard all my life, it seems we are a country of walmart shoppers.

Lots of people absolutely LOVE walmart. and I think that is fine for them. I never did, but I still walked the aisles like a good little zomble for years. No more - I have lived without a nearby walmart for long enough for me to be able to shout out loud to the world that I do not need walmart and I do not have to shop there!!! contrary to what I was told, by someone - I do not know who or how I thought walmart was a mandatory weekly event. maybe its an Alabama thing.

yes, many consumers are very thoughtful about their budgets, planning and shopping. shopping at Walmart is a great place to find a deal. Shopping at Walmart suits some just great. not so for others. its all a personal choice I believe (except for the zombies).

I completely concur with jdarg in that we all have our reasons and choices and views on the pleasures of walmart shopping. this discussion has certainly helped me to know much more about a huge range of thoughts and opinions on the subject. I can appreciate the whole range of views and experiences - shopping for our homes and families is one of the most important things we do.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
...along that line, here in SoWal do we really "need" 10 pizza places; 15 resort wear shops; 38 upscale shops that sell handbags, candles, shells & potpourri ; and 1500 Realtors?

Oh, let me dream a little more. I'd love it if there were only 1500 Realtors in ECAR. :roll: Unfortunately, there are more like 2500.

On the pricing thing, even Miley Sirus (Hannah Montana) was complaining about the price of razors at Publix. I grew accustomed to grocery prices in South Walton long ago, but on the occasion when I do go to Walmart, I cannot help but to compare the prices of things on my grocery list. I'd say about 40% of my typical grocery list is somewhere around 50% less at Walmart.

Let's get real. This proposed Walmart location will not include a full grocery selection, so let's stop comparing prices of groceries. Earlier, I got all sidetracked into thinking that this Walmart will cut prices at Publix and it won't, except for maybe soap, sunscreen, and deodorants, etc. Walmart will however be competing with the smaller mom and pops for many things which tourists buy.