78,000 sf Walmart coming to SoWal [opening June15]

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by Kurt Lischka, Dec 3, 2009.

1. NunYa

NunYa Beach Comber

Pick and choose your battles.
    This is one you will loose. Period. Doesn't matter how many reports you post on here.
    This one you will loose. I am not a huge fan of Wal-mart, rarely shop there anymore, if ever, don't care for it building where it is, but I cant do a damn thing about it so I'm spending my energy elsewhere.
    Now I'm not telling you guys to shut up because that wouldn't be a proper response
    not only is it rude it would just create more negative energy. I'm simply saying we live in a peaceful area. Lets keep it peaceful, and use our energy toward something positive.
    I firmly believe approximately 60 to 75% of the population doesn't care for it and wont shop there, however, what about those coming into our area on vacation?
    Do you think they are going to say "NO WE WONT GO"? I mean really.
    Yes WE as a community can boycott it but WE are not what they are counting on.
    Have a great day!!

2. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

You make so much sense. I plan on shopping WAL-MART for items that no mom and pop around here sells-laundry detergent, paper towels, etc. Sure, you can occasionally score these items on sale at Publix, but the majority of time the friendly folks at Publix make a killing on sundries. I plan to continue to patronize our great local stores like Yellow Fin for fishing tackle and advice. I'll still be making the groceries at Publix. There is plenty of money to go around and I suspect most locals will spread it in a similar fashion. I just don't get the 'all or nothing' hysteria WAL-MART brings out in some folks. Have a great day!:wave:

3. WeLoveSowal

WeLoveSowal Beach Comber

I am sorry, we don?t have Publix in Germany. I was trying to say that we got companies you can compare with Publix, Walmart and others.

4. bluecat

bluecat Beach Fanatic

Going to WalMart has never been in my vacation plans.Love the stores and shops of Sowal.

5. 30A Skunkape

I hear that! I just don't understand people who come down here and go to bad chain restaurants like Red Lobster and Bonefish grill where local seafood isn't even on the menu. Bleech!!

6. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

They do have Aldi there.

7. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

I SO hear that! I have an in-law like that; who will still opt for Red Lobster despite my printing out local favorite menus at various price ranges.
    Like I'd REALLY poison ya:roll:?

Geesh... why bother traveling if you eschew the unique in favor of (yet again) experiencing that which you can get Anytown, USA?

8. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Many people do not realize just how terrible shopping at Wal-mart is. It's my job to tell them.

Every dollar NOT spent at Wal-mart has incredibly positive results for our community.

Ignoring the issue has incredibly negative results for our community.

Battle picked - the consequences of this one are just too big to ignore.

9. 30A Skunkape

Go get 'em, Scooty Quixote! [​IMG]

10. scooterbug44

:wave:

11. NunYa

NunYa Beach Comber

I understand your passion Scooter,and everybody has heard your cry, and I do not dispute your points.
    As stated above I would approximate that 60 to 75% of So-wal population wont be shopping at this particular Wal-Mart, or at least they say they wont.
    Now my issue is the tourist, they WILL shop there. Period. Not all of them but most will.
    So What will you do? Stand at the intersection of 331 and 98 on Saturdays advising each and every one not to shop there because of_____________________, or the entrance of Mid Bay Bridge?
    And also here is a thought, a lot of people may already know the "evils" of Wal-Mart and not care, or just flat out dont want to be educated.
    I mean really, this Wal-Mart IS being built AS WE SPEAK. This Wal-Mart WILL have profits.
    It is what it is.
    I mean no harm here, Im simply suggesting that all this energy be poured into something that is useful. Because as far as I and a lot of others are concerned, this issue is a dead horse.
    :wave:

12. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

It is not useless to continue to be vocal regarding Wal-Mart. If it encourages or reminds people to shop local, it is always worth the energy. All should continue to be vocal in an attempt to keep more money in the local economy and stave off, as much as possible, losses from local businesses.
    Just because Wal-Mart is built doesn't mean I will buy stuff there when I come to the beach. Yes, many will. But hopefully MANY won't! ...:dunno:

13. scooterbug44

Reread this thread and you will find many posts dismissing exactly the concerns cited in the article I posted. The reason I posted it wasn't because I am unaware/unaccepting that this Wal-mart is already being built - but because it specifically shows just how bad Wal-mart is for a community.

Not based on feelings, misconceptions, and anecdotes like many claim, but based on studying 50 recently opening stores and their effect on the community.

THE ONLY WAY TO FIGHT THEM NOW IS TO CONVINCE PEOPLE NOT TO SHOP THERE AND FOR ME TO CONTINUE TO NOT SHOP THERE.

That aside, Wal-mart will want to build more stores in the future (and is already opening more in this area) and tourists/out of towners also read these forums.

No plans to picket or anything like that, the anti-Wal-mart reminders and rants are just a small part of my efforts to promote local businesses and food production.

You have your chosen issues, I have mine ................ and doing what I can to keep Wal-mart from destroying my community and the US economy is one of them.

Every little bit helps.

14. 30A Skunkape

I think the article you posted was citing union propaganda.

15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Unfortunately, SB44 does either not recognize this or chooses to ignore it. I WILL shop at WalMart. I WILL patronize local businesses whenever possible. It is not an either, or. To even intimate that local businesses always provide adequate health insurance, retirement and other benefits for their employees is ludicrous. They, on average, do no better, and probably a lot less so than WalMart. It is a fruitless argument. WalMart has its place as do the "mom and pop" businesses. I shall patronize both and keep as much of my savings as possible.

16. NunYa

NunYa Beach Comber

It is what it is.
    Let me know how this argument worked out for you in five years.

17. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

They should rename their stores ChinaSlaveMart. The greeters can hand whips to the shoppers to show the WalMart employees their love. No unions, and no American made goods. It's the perfect setting for those that have theirs.

18. PAbeachlover

PAbeachlover Beach Comber

At home, I shop at WalMart only occasionally because I really don't care for their tactics. When we go on vacation we try our best to frequent local business and restaurants because we like the feel of where we are. In SoWal, we love places like the Modica Market. Even though we may pay more there than at WalMart, we choose to do that as part of our vacation. We just say, "Hey we're on vacation, what does it matter what it costs." At home, we have the best regional grocery store in the Northeast - Wegmans. It may be a little pricier than WalMart or Giant Eagle, but is far far superior. So when we visit SoWal at the end of the year, we shall be shopping and eating local.

19. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

It really is small for a walmart.
    http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1166

It looks like about the size of a publix but it is actually more like twice the size of a publix.

I imagine they will sell a lot of beer, snacks, fishing tackle, beach toys, towels, umbrellas, bathing suits, t-shirts, sunscreen, etc.

20. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

Looks like scooty's campaign might be working. . .

Wal-Mart, humbled king of retail, plots rebound

Still:

Wal-Mart, humbled king of retail, plots rebound - Yahoo! News