• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
So please look to my post a page or so back and tell me why it is perfectly acceptable to many if one shops at Target but not Walmart. There's a great article on it I linked to on my post. I am genuinely puzzled. (others who shop at Target buy not Walmart please feel free to chime in too)

Target as Bad as Wal-Mart? You Decide | Corporate Accountability and WorkPlace | AlterNet

It isn't that Target is 100% good and Wal-mart is 100% bad (more like 75% good and 99% bad), it's that if you MUST shop at a big box store, Target is far better in a wide range of categories.

1) Target stores are more attractive and blend into a community better - they typically are smaller than a Wal-mart, have landscaping, and maintain their space to avoid becoming an eyesore. Target will move into an existing building and renovate it instead of always building new - even though this is a very expensive practice. They work with local guidelines and radically change the architecture and layout of their stores to fit into an area.

2) Target is one of the most philanthropic companies in the US, gives a minimum of 5% to charity (vs. less than 1/10% at Wal-mart), provides long term housing for families of St. Jude patients, and has a credit card program where you can donate to a local school (more than $150 million to date). They donated $6 million to help renovate the Washington Monument.

During disasters they not only contribute millions in dollars and goods, they spearhead fundraising efforts, and volunteer their stores as command centers for relief efforts.

They started their own forensics laboratories to combat crime in their stores that are so successful they are in great demand by a wide variety of law enforcement agencies - pro bono of course.

In addition to their partnering with United Way and the Salvation Army for holidays, they are also the corporate sponsor of many events, including providing free or reduced admisison to a variety of museums.

3) Target employs more than the national average of minorities in all jobs and an even higher percentage in management. They seek out vendors owned by women and minorities. Target gives domestic partner benefits and was named one of the "100 best companies for working mothers."

Target partners with vendors and suppliers instead of taking them over.

4) Target refuses to sell firearms or tobacco products and will only sell children's toy guns if they cannot be in any way mistaken for a real gun.

5) In addition to not gouging consumers for items shipped to our military as beachmouse posted, Target does not charge service fees or have expiration dates on its gift cards.

6) Target is much more environmentally friendly. Their stores only use LED or flourescent lights, have low flow restrooms that use 30% less water, have recycling programs (ranging from cardboard and hangers to ceiling tiles and shopping carts), and certain stores have green roofs/roof gardens or run solely on wind power (all Oklahoma Targets). Target is working to reduce their use of plastics, switching from PVCs to safer products, making gift cards from corn resin, and phasing out plastic wrapping of its merchandise.

I wish Walmart would buy out Target. I just think it would be cool to see big blue balls out in front instead of red ones.

Giant blue balls are the only benefit I could see from such an arrangement. :D

P.S. I don't want a Target in Sowal either!

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Target is a much more pleasant shopping experience. You won't see a 10'X10' island dedicated to Prilosec. Their selection is a little weak in some areas. It's actually pretty strong when it comes to mindless consumer kitchen gadgets and appliances that I'll never need or want. Due to the color scheme it's nearly impossible to find the Valentine's display aisle.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
It isn't that Target is 100% good and Wal-mart is 100% bad (more like 75% good and 99% bad), it's that if you MUST shop at a big box store, Target is far better in a wide range of categories.

1) Target stores are more attractive and blend into a community better - they typically are smaller than a Wal-mart, have landscaping, and maintain their space to avoid becoming an eyesore. Target will move into an existing building and renovate it instead of always building new - even though this is a very expensive practice. They work with local guidelines and radically change the architecture and layout of their stores to fit into an area.

2) Target is one of the most philanthropic companies in the US, gives a minimum of 5% to charity (vs. less than 1/10% at Wal-mart), provides long term housing for families of St. Jude patients, and has a credit card program where you can donate to a local school (more than $150 million to date). They donated $6 million to help renovate the Washington Monument.

During disasters they not only contribute millions in dollars and goods, they spearhead fundraising efforts, and volunteer their stores as command centers for relief efforts.

They started their own forensics laboratories to combat crime in their stores that are so successful they are in great demand by a wide variety of law enforcement agencies - pro bono of course.

In addition to their partnering with United Way and the Salvation Army for holidays, they are also the corporate sponsor of many events, including providing free or reduced admisison to a variety of museums.

3) Target employs more than the national average of minorities in all jobs and an even higher percentage in management. They seek out vendors owned by women and minorities. Target gives domestic partner benefits and was named one of the "100 best companies for working mothers."

Target partners with vendors and suppliers instead of taking them over.

4) Target refuses to sell firearms or tobacco products and will only sell children's toy guns if they cannot be in any way mistaken for a real gun.

5) In addition to not gouging consumers for items shipped to our military as beachmouse posted, Target does not charge service fees or have expiration dates on its gift cards.

6) Target is much more environmentally friendly. Their stores only use LED or flourescent lights, have low flow restrooms that use 30% less water, have recycling programs (ranging from cardboard and hangers to ceiling tiles and shopping carts), and certain stores have green roofs/roof gardens or run solely on wind power (all Oklahoma Targets). Target is working to reduce their use of plastics, switching from PVCs to safer products, making gift cards from corn resin, and phasing out plastic wrapping of its merchandise.

Giant blue balls are the only benefit I could see from such an arrangement. :D

P.S. I don't want a Target in Sowal either!

WOW WEE! That was a great post. :clap: Thanks very much for taking the time to compose your answer. I appreciate your view and learned a lot. I think I will make a trip to Target soon :D

G

You left out that they have better commercials ;-)

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Cheaper, Cheaper, Cheaper that is what I seem to read as the most appealing nature of Wal-mart to all the pro Wal-Mart advocates on this thread.

One thing to consider while you are spending less at this big chain, is the fact that it is the small, local owned businesses that are the sponsors of the local sports leagues, schools, bands, year-books, charities like 'kicking it for Jason", Caring & Sharing, Alaqua and many many more. These things are at the Heart of what makes a community.

Be careful what you wish for, especially if you are one of the people that always asks the local business owner for donations for your community needs. The Local Owner just might not have funds and little Joey just might not have a league.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Cheaper, Cheaper, Cheaper that is what I seem to read as the most appealing nature of Wal-mart to all the pro Wal-Mart advocates on this thread.

One thing to consider while you are spending less at this big chain, is the fact that it is the small, local owned businesses that are the sponsors of the local sports leagues, schools, bands, year-books, charities like 'kicking it for Jason", Caring & Sharing, Alaqua and many many more. These things are at the Heart of what makes a community.

Be careful what you wish for, especially if you are one of the people that always asks the local business owner for donations for your community needs. The Local Owner just might not have funds and little Joey just might not have a league.

I'll say it for a 3rd time. At present people are not buying Walmart or Target type items from the small locally owned businesses. If these businesses are surviving now , they will continue to survive and may do better due to the fact that people will be spending more time in SoWal and less money on gas. i hate to break this to you, but the consumers have the upper hand in this one, not the local businesses trying to gouge the customers on life's essentials.

Last edited:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I'll say it for a 3rd time. At present people are not buying Walmart or Target type items from the small locally owned businesses. If these businesses are surviving now , they will continue to survive and may do better due to the fact that people will be spending more time in SoWal and less money on gas. i hate to break this to you, but the consumers have the upper hand in this one, not the local businesses trying to gouge the customers on life's essentials.

I have to mostly agree on this point. What do I buy at any chain store be it Walmart, Publix or Target :)wave: scooter) at this point that would hurt local business? Batteries? Toilet paper? I am looking over my last purchase ticket and there was also some toe nail clippers that I bought oh and drinking straws.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yes, there is not a 100% overlap between the goods sold at a Wal-mart or Target and what is sold by local businesses.

The problem is that when these behemoths come to town, people buy similar or substitute items at the big box stores instead of from a local retailer..................... or bypass the local stores altogether once they have done their one stop shopping.

I am hard pressed to think of any local shop (aside from a dedicated jewelry store) that will not be affected.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Yes, there is not a 100% overlap between the goods sold at a Wal-mart or Target and what is sold by local businesses.

The problem is that when these behemoths come to town, people buy similar or substitute items at the big box stores instead of from a local retailer..................... or bypass the local stores altogether once they have done their one stop shopping.

I am hard pressed to think of any local shop (aside from a dedicated jewelry store) that will not be affected.

Isn't that true when anything new comes to town? People might buy their tortillas from Publix now instead of El Mercadito. Or their organic flour at Publix instead of FTHOI. I am certain that people often pic up their agave nectar at Publix while doing their normal grocery shopping now instead of making a special trip to FTHOI.