Adorondak chairs and such

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by soozie58, May 28, 2005.

1. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I like the thrift store sofa on the porch. Just get a new one every couple of years. :laughing1

2. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Re: Adirondak chairs

That's amazing. Those didn't look that sturdy. Were they about $100? Do they have coordinating chaise longues? If they last three years, I might give them a try.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  3. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

One more question, Paula. Was your furniture on a covered porch? Our furniture on our covered porches does well, but the furniture on uncovered porches and around our pool deteriorates in just one season. That is, unless we use the ubiquitous resin, shudder-shudder. :bang:

4. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Yes, our furniture is on a covered porch. So, that may make a big difference. At our home in Michigan, we have LLBean adirodack chairs and they seem to be holding up well outdoors. However, we bring them in for the winter and I believe they're only one to two years old. And they were pricey.

And the wicker looks nice in our little community with the style of our cottages. It may not look as nice everywhere. But one option is to get just one of those inexpensive chairs from home depot (they come in a variety of styles) and see how it makes it through the next season/year outdoors. They do tend to need cushions and those can be pricy and don't last as long.

Hope this helps.

5. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Thanks, Paula.

6. lollygal

lollygal Beach Fanatic

I think you are talking about a gal named Alice. She has been making adirondacks for several years and has had a profitable business. She's getting married and out of the biz, tho. She did terrific work. I bought chairs for two houses through her -- they still look great!

7. jfrances

jfrances Beach Comber

I looked a long time for a quality adirondack chair ( needs stainless screws ), but finally purchased Poly Wood. It is made from recycled plastic polymer ( milk jugs ) and is not supposed to be " affected by sun, rain, mildew, saltwater, etc." The web site is www.Polywoodinc.com. We looked at it and found it to be very comfortable. It is more expensive. We needed it for our tower deck and wind was a concern. This stuff is heavy! This is our first season, so I can't confirm the literature.

8. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I've seen those - they're very heavy? They're like trex decking.

I probably wouldn't mind it if it's under cover but if it's like trex it smells like plastic burning under a hot sun. Because it is plastic burning in the hot sun? When I walk across trex and I smell that I can't help but think I'm breathing in something I shouldn't.

9. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

Trex stinks.

10. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

I've seen the polywood, but I just couldn't spend that much money for it. The casual observer would think it was Wal-Mart furniture, when in fact it costs 20 times more than resin chairs cost. So I cheaped out, bought Wal-Mart stuff, and am procrastinating shelling out a lot of money until I find something that is as attractive as what we had, but lasts more than a year.

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Beach Lover

Anybody serious about wooden chairs should check out a craftsman in Cedar Key, FL. My family bought several about 6 years ago and they are holding up great. We painted them with exterior paint and keep them outside in the sun and weather. No problems so far.

I don't know the carpenter's name, but anyone in Cedar Key could tell you. We found him by just riding around. He has an interesting workshop and makes other items too. We bought the mother-in-law a 6' porch swing and never did anything to it. I looks great and has been on her screened porch in Georgia for years.

Cedar Key is a neat place, so it is worth the trip even if you don't buy furniture.

Good luck. :cool:

12. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

Redfish Exteriors on Hwy 98 Santa Rosa Beach right at 393 has great Adirondak Chairs made our of resin high density plastic with fade resistant colors. You never have to paint them. These are not your Wal-Mart chairs. They also have other nice outdoor furniture. Personally, I like the metal spring chairs with great thick cushions.

13. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

We just purchased a bunch of Adirondack chairs in a range of beach pastels and colors from Scavengers and were extremely happy with the service and product. Joseph e-mailed us photos of the chairs and all the colors they can be painted. Unpainted chairs are $50 and they'll paint them any of their colors for an additional $25. They also offer those little Adirondack footrests and small tables. All have stainless steel screws, no nails. Our order will take a week to paint and deliver, with a $60 delivery charge to Grayton. This looks like a very fine product for a remarkable price, and I found Joseph extremely helpful. Just couldn't stand the thought of that awful plastic stuff, in spite of its longevity. :rofl:

14. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

How much do they cost?

15. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

I was a purist about the wood, too, until our cypress Adirondacks with marine varnish and $79 worth of stainless-steel screws in each one died in a year. I also wish I hadn't been so totally into aesthetics and built our house with those plastic-framed, projectile-proofed windows instead of the wooden ones those won't withstand a low-grade hurricane without boarding them up.

I dunno. There are always trade-offs.

16. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

phdphay- Not sure what the cost are, but you can give Redfish Exteriors a call 622-3272. Have a Great 4th.

the hutch

17. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Thanks. And a happy 4th to you and yours.