• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Try the Econfina Creek Canoe Livery in Youngstown, FL. We went there and canoed two years ago. Nice canoe trip. You stop at the first bridge, which is 7 miles. There are 6 or 7 springs off to the side for viewing. Two older women came down to where we were being picked up on kayaks. They had their truck parked at the pick up point. Calm water, have to maneuver around a tree or two which is challenging. Great place.

Here is their website: www.CanoeEconfinaCreek.com

We did this several years ago and it was beautiful, did not see any gators dka! chomp chomp!! But I agree with SJ and Mermaid, that don't want to eat ya!!:D I have only known of problem gators on Eastern Lake and they were 2-3 feet, aggressive teenagers!!:roll:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Oh DA, I feel for ya.

You know, several years back I had similar run ins with alligators and other creatures.

I set out on what was to be a leisurely day on the water, outfitted only for a short camping trip, when I found myself pursued by alligators and was forced to canoe deeper into the Choctawhatchee swamps. Soon, all measure of strange creatures were chasing me, including dangerous encounters with dinosaurs, particularly a Tyrannosaurus rex I nickname "Grumpy". I also had to tangle with menacing Sleestak and ambiguous "cave-men" called Pakuni -one of whom, Cha-Ka, I befriended.

It was only thanks to the help of Cha-Ka is was able to find my way home.

Be careful out there- it?s a weird, weird world.

sleestacks.gif

Look out for Sleestaks in the swamps of South Walton

:lolabove: :rotfl: But they look so cute with those big eyes and all. :rofl:

Just stay out of the way of the big ones, especially during mating season. Otherwise, most of the ones around here don't want anything to do with a man in a kayak. ;-)

DKA and I want to know when mating season is? :evil:

Last edited:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
We did this several years ago and it was beautiful, did not see any gators dka! chomp chomp!! But I agree with SJ and Mermaid, that don't want to eat ya!!:D I have only known of problem gators on Eastern Lake and they were 2-3 feet, aggressive teenagers!!:roll:

Since we got done with our trip in about 3 1/2 hours, didn't canoe up into the clear water springs, wish we had, will next time, we had to hang out for about two hours at the pick up point, which just happened to be a swimming hole for the college crowd. We spent a couple of hours swimming there. Was nice and relaxing. Did encounter a couple of groups of college kids that showed up to swim, they were jumping off the bridge into the water. I wasn't that brave though. :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
5367.jpg

Alligators love the spring water. ;-)

May is the peak Alligator mating season. They will be seen moving across land, as they go from one waterhole to another. After a dormant winter season, they try to eat quite a bit of food, so keep the pooches at the house.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
5367.jpg

Alligators love the spring water. ;-)

May is the peak Alligator mating season. They will be seen moving across land, as they go from one waterhole to another. After a dormant winter season, they try to eat quite a bit of food, so keep the pooches at the house.

We went canoeing the end of August. We didn't go up in the springs. And anyway, I assumed the actual springs at Econfina Creek are deep water springs, but since we didn't go up in them, I don't know. There were a few people up in the springs in boats. I wouldn't swim in one. I do believe the water is quite cold in a spring, but the creek water was perfect.

Last edited:

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Hey gang. I'm in search of Alligator Free Kayaking. My own lake is "infested". I have about 5-6 that 'hang out' at the edge of property in my back yard.:eek:

I drove to Tyndall AFB on a couple of weeks ago, saw a trail of bubbles around me NOT caused by my oars, only to see a sign that read, WARNING -Alligator habitat. :bang:

Having been victim to undertow 3 times in two summers, I'm not fond of the Gulf either. If an accident can happen it will happen to me.:shark:

I have lived around the corner from Econfina and didn't really know it, have never been there and am looking for more info.:doh:

I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two if I make a day or overnight trip of it. I believe in safety in numbers...open to invites!:D

Short of a swimming pool, any suggestions?:dunno:

dka:drink:
Got any pics? :dunno:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Got any pics? :dunno:

It took us about 30 to 35 minutes to get to Econfina Creek from Inlet Beach. BTW, watch out for rope swingers if you go. You feel like you are canoeing in a scene from Deliverance. Rope swings hanging everywhere above. The guy that owns the place said Bay County police had to be called several times because of people swinging out on the ropes and landing in your canoes turning you over. We didn't see anyone but a man sitting up on his little deck above the creek reading, or pretending to be anyway. :D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
dka...I must come clean. Before you knew me, I was not the go to person for kayaking that I am today. On my first attempt in Western Lake, I fell in...not once, but twice.