• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

homeboy

Beach Lover
Jan 2, 2010
I don't own property in Alys Beach. All of SoWal is my business.

Millenia :lol:

Dodging the question not you are? Do you do business with EBSCO/Alys? Yes or no. My guess is definitely yes, and probably a decent amount of business.

Oops, I meant eons. :lol:

homeboy

Beach Lover
Jan 2, 2010
As far as construction, energy efficiency, and hurricane resistance go; you have no clue what you are talking about.

My point was also that you can find homes similar to or exactly the same as the architectural style of WaterColor in many other places along 30A. Alys Beach is pretty much that, Alys Beach, can you name another subdivision that offers that style of architecture?

Please read my post again. I stated that Alys homes are more hurricane resistant. Makes perfect sense being concrete and concrete block. But, that was not my main point. You compared the Alys homes to being a rolls royce (or something to that effect) to the other homes along 30A as lexus'. I said you were dead wrong about that because it takes more than hurricane resistance to make the homes in Alys "better" or "rolls royce like" than other homes along 30A. I could build a bomb shelter that would be hurricane proof but that would not make it a "rolls royce". The interior finishes and exterior finishes (not hurricane resistance) in the other properties along 30A in many cases are much above those in Alys.

It is unique. You are correct. That will be both a blessing and a curse for Alys in the long run. So far, it hasn't helped them sell a huge number of properties (excluding the 2005 frenzy). Time will tell if it is more of a blessing or a curse.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Dodging the question not you are? Do you do business with EBSCO/Alys? Yes or no. My guess is definitely yes, and probably a decent amount of business.

Oops, I meant eons. :lol:

I have nothing to hide or disclose, and don't see how it's relevant. You're barking up the wrong tree.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Homeboy - on a strictly apples to apples scale, the finishes and materials at Alys Beach tend to be of higher cost and quality than those in other 30a developments like Watercolor etc.

I am not saying that the materials and finishes in other places are not still of high quality, or that there aren't exceptions to the rule, but part of the reason prices are higher in Alys Beach is because they are willing to shell out the $$ to do things right and keep quality high.

And before you ask, I do not do any business or have any financial interest in the development.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Please read my post again. I stated that Alys homes are more hurricane resistant. Makes perfect sense being concrete and concrete block. But, that was not my main point. You compared the Alys homes to being a rolls royce (or something to that effect) to the other homes along 30A as lexus'. I said you were dead wrong about that because it takes more than hurricane resistance to make the homes in Alys "better" or "rolls royce like" than other homes along 30A. I could build a bomb shelter that would be hurricane proof but that would not make it a "rolls royce". The interior finishes and exterior finishes (not hurricane resistance) in the other properties along 30A in many cases are much above those in Alys.

It is unique. You are correct. That will be both a blessing and a curse for Alys in the long run. So far, it hasn't helped them sell a huge number of properties (excluding the 2005 frenzy). Time will tell if it is more of a blessing or a curse.

Let me explain my point more clearly.

Can you remember the last time you saw a Rolls Royce? I'll bet even if it's been a while you can remember it. Do you look twice when a Lexus drives by, probably not.

homeboy

Beach Lover
Jan 2, 2010
SO, how many sales in Alys so far in 2010 during the busiest selling season of the year?

Until prices in Alys equal the value you are getting, sales will be non existent.

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010
SO, how many sales in Alys so far in 2010 during the busiest selling season of the year?

Until prices in Alys equal the value you are getting, sales will be non existent.

Alys is a development that I have a love/hate relationship. I admire the Developer, his team, concepts, etc. Takes a good set of "hangars" to do what they did. Their commitments to sustainability are laudable...especially considering the somewhat unknown saleability when combined with the premium price that comes with it.

But Alys comes off architecturally stark, (over) sanitized and a bit forced. I don't believe this much white works even in Anguilla. :lol:

I spoke to three of the original architects and all three had asked for more color with an emphasis in roofs and trim. Back to admiration.

White roofing makes for a much cooler home. Rewind to stark. :bang:

Ad infinitum.

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010

I believe you have missed the marketing call for Alys. Alys will attract Buyers who like the Alys product.Alys has no direct competition. The better question is how many unique, Alys Buyers are there?

My guess is that good times or bad, not enough to meet reasonable sales goals over a typical real estate development and sales cycle.

WTS, the Developer may look entirely differently at his pro forma. He has owned the property for decades so he has a very, very low land acquisition number. Zero. :D

He may have a twenty or thirty year sell plan which he can financially stomach.

:dunno:

wadecool

Beach Lover
Jul 17, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Let's all pray that oil spill does not reach SoWal beaches! If it does however, Alys Beach owners and their "Rolls Royce's" will be in the same boat as everyone else. A concrete bunker may protect against hurricanes, but not against sweet crude.