• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I just dig the vibe and the quality. I get so sick of Florida cottage and wood rot. This place just feels right to me. I can not grasp the exact words but when I visit I think, "wow, now finally someone gets it." They are on another level of any other PUD in the area. I hope they have the strength to survive. I also strongly feel if they can hold out this will be one of if not the number one resort destination in the south east.

For anyone looking to rent the property that might be apealing, but why would anyone want to live full time in a location destined to become this?

For that matter, is Aly's really that great of an investment for full time living? I'm not sure what the cost of ownership is for a home there, but I imagine it has to be pretty high. Paid in full, I'd guess somewhere around 25K - 30K a year for one of the "average" homes in the back. (taxes on value, insurance, hoa fees, maintenance) Lets say you take your 650K and invest it in something that returns 8%. You're passing up 52K in income you could spend, vs a drain of 30K a year on other income, assuming you never recoup the equity gains.

You need money to burn to live like that, and I'm not so sure the quality of life (having lived on a resort now for nine years) is all that great either. It makes far better financial sense to purchase a less expensive house where your cost of ownership is less than the return you could make on the equity minus rent. Aly's and pretty much every other planned community down here don't fit that mold.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Ownership in Alys isn't for the faint of heart. Maybe some well-to-do people buy property more for the pleasure than for the investment. Most ecomomist say homestead ownership(as oppose to investment homes) is usually a break-even proposition anyway.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I am a fan of Alys Beach in part because of the architecture and planning (it's certainly not everyone's style, but it is stunning from an architectural perspective), and even more so because of how gracious Alys Beach is to the surrounding community. They are open and giving of their community, clever and artistic in the activities they have during the year, and they welcome children and families. I'm glad they're in my neighborhood and can't wait to attend some of their events this summer.

Every community on 30A has its own personality architecturally and each has it's own culture of openness or closedness, laid back or fancy, etc. That's the charm and advantage of South Walton as far as I'm concerned - it's certainly not a cookie-cutter community and it's fun to explore and appreciate the different communities regardless of our personal styles and preferences (at least that's what I like to do).

I wish Alys Beach nothing but the very best and they've added quite a bit to culture and activities on 30A.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
My impression has always been that Alys Beach is going after the buyer that's an income level above the typical SoWal buyer. They're not going to blink about price or carrying costs. They've worked hard for the family business during the day and helped give away $10 million in the family foundation this year at night, and just want a nice quiet family retreat that lets them enjoy a beach vacation without the time of hassle of going overseas.

And yes, they're a small group that is rather picky because they've got so many options out there, but if Alys Beach thinks that they can get enough of those buyers over time, it's a community that really will be wonderful at build out.

homeboy

Beach Lover
Jan 2, 2010
I hope they have the strength to survive. I also strongly feel if they can hold out this will be one of if not the number one resort destination in the south east.

With only two sales in the first five months of the year and only a handful in 2008 and 2008, its going to be a LONG, LONG wait.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't know why you are so negative, Alys is a great community that is putting itself on the map with its events.

Even with the smaller crowds in town due to the media/oil, they sold out Digital Graffitti and had the party at the pool packed past midnight.

beachkids

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
You can't deny the appeal that Alys adds to 30A even if the architecture it is not to your particular taste. IMO, Alys also adds to neighboring property values. I admire the long term look they are taking considering the timing is not great. 30A offers something for everyone.

xaa

Beach Comber
Aug 17, 2008
North of LA
With only two sales in the first five months of the year and only a handful in 2008 and 2008, its going to be a LONG, LONG wait.

there was another 2010 sale in Alys Beach that won't show up on the Walton County Record Search. It was auctioned for $358 per SF. If AB would set their prices in that range, I bet they'd start selling their inventory.