• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Smilin,

I will try. The property would be a 2nd home and an investment. Price is always an issue - meaning the property must combine good value & upside for the purchase price. I like all 3 communities. The location and style of Alys intrigued me - but I have not been down there in about a year. A place in Alys would not be a stretch, but if the value/upside/stability of Alys were not on the same level as any other communities, style and architecture become a secondary consideration. It seems that the price/SF in Alys is much larger than other areas, and question whether it is worth it.

Everyone has different opinions as to what they like and where they like it. I appreciate all of the feedback and enjoy reading why people feel a certain way about it - You folks know the area a helluva lot better than I, and am trying to gain as much local "scoop" as possible.

If you like Alys, but do not like the pricing. The developer seems to be finally reacting to the current state of the market. It appears that the developer is slashing prices on lots and homes (see separate thread on Alys Beach pricing). So, if you like Alys and you believe the market is near a bottom (not my opinion, but others feel differently), you might consider taking a second look and making a lowball offer on something that catches your eye.

Again, I know lots of people that have looked at Alys and the other areas you are interested in and the general consensus I hear (with a few exceptions) is that Alys is too monotone and too cramped. Very few people I know that have searched the area really like Alys after taking a hard look at the product and the community. On the other hand, these people seem to really be drawn to Watercolor and to a lesser extent Watersound due to the natural beauty of the developments and the amenities.

Good luck.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
i believe people are basing the 'cramped' statements on the courtyard neighborhood of alys, the only one that is readily available to walk around in. like every other developement on 30a, there is more there than currently meets the eye. i think the use of 'zero lot lines' with regards to the entire development is innacurate.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
i believe people are basing the 'cramped' statements on the courtyard neighborhood of alys, the only one that is readily available to walk around in. like every other developement on 30a, there is more there than currently meets the eye. i think the use of 'zero lot lines' with regards to the entire development is innacurate.

According to the marketing data I saw, the majority of the houses will be courtyard homes. However, there will also be a large number of larger homes and compounds. Regardless, there won't be nearly as much natural vegetation/greenery as in Watercolor and Watersound. Nor will there be the abundance of bike trails or lake access as in these other neighborhoods.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
According to the marketing data I saw, the majority of the houses will be courtyard homes. However, there will also be a large number of larger homes and compounds. Regardless, there won't be nearly as much natural vegetation/greenery as in Watercolor and Watersound. Nor will there be the abundance of bike trails or lake access as in these other neighborhoods.

agreed, with regards to the amount of greenspace, st. joe has more than they know what to do with. and, they happen to have property on inland dune lakes, which alys doesn't. so, when you have less shoreline... with regards to bike trails, who knows what will be installed on the north end of alys? again, based on the amount of acreage, anything will be less than st. joe can do.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
Again, I know lots of people that have looked at Alys and the other areas you are interested in and the general consensus I hear (with a few exceptions) is that Alys is too monotone and too cramped. Very few people I know that have searched the area really like Alys after taking a hard look at the product and the community. On the other hand, these people seem to really be drawn to Watercolor and to a lesser extent Watersound due to the natural beauty of the developments and the amenities.

Good luck.

I tend to always go the opposite direction of the consensus and why I believe, as others have pointed out here, Alys will attract the "whos who" and hold value.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
I tend to always go the opposite direction of the consensus and why I believe, as others have pointed out here, Alys will attract the "whos who" and hold value.

IJ,

Ask the people who bought in Alys in 2005 and 2006 what they think about the value of their homes after the developer just undercut the prices they paid by 30-40%.

I am unaware of any whos whos buying in Alys, but their might be some. However, there are a couple whos whos I know of in Watercolor including the esteemed (or maybe not esteemed depending on your point of view) Senator and Dr. Bill Frist (and don't forget the world renowned SueShore:D ).

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005

So being the go against the grain kind of person that you are, does that mean that you were selling your real estate holdings in 2003, 2004 and 2005 during the mad days of speculation, but now you are buying everything in sight during the "crash"? Likewise, in 1998 and 1999, were you selling all your equities and then you started scooping them up like crazy in 2001 and again in 2003, and now you are selling them off again?

Also, I guess that means the Hilton palace next to Rosemary is your favorite house along 30A.;-)

Last edited:

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
IJ,

Ask the people who bought in Alys in 2005 and 2006 what they think about the value of their homes after the developer just undercut the prices they paid by 30-40%.

I am unaware of any whos whos buying in Alys, but their might be some. However, there are a couple whos whos I know of in Watercolor including the esteemed (or maybe not esteemed depending on your point of view) Senator and Dr. Bill Frist (and don't forget the world renowned SueShore:D ).

If they purchased in Alys Beach, or WC, WS, or ANYWHERE in Sowal in the last few years like a stock trade, I'm sure they aren't happy but I have no sympathy whatsoever. The people who purchased for the long term, and the "lifestyle" each community affords them (and that is totally subjective) are the ones I'm talking about. Prices in Alys Beach are higher than the other communities but Alys Beach is "remarkable" (and I mean that as unique - it's what we call in marketing "a purple cow") in every sense, pricing included, and why IMO it's a great place to be and why I believe in the future will be "the place" for the who's who to be. And it's the who's who crowd that has the big money and will spend accordingly :)

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
With all due respect you are stating quite a few inaccurate facts about Alys Beach.

Alys will not have the abundance of nature trails that WC has because of its size compared to WC. There will however be more than enough places for kids and adults to bike through. You are correct in stating that Alys will not have as much green space ? again that is because of its size. You also state that for every 1 positive comment you hear you hear 10 negative ones, which may indeed be the case ?I respect that - however I can tell you that for very 1 negative one I hear, I hear 20 positive ones. You define an all white courtyard house/community as monotone and cramped ? I describe it as harmonious, beautiful and serene. There is equal emphasis at Alys on the private realm as the public ? which means that a lot of the green that may be seen as lacking from the exterior is actually visible and lush in the private courtyards (hopefully to the enjoyment of its owner!)

Finally, it is of course perfectly OK to dislike Alys and prefer WC ? but all I can say is that Alys has not yet completed its landscape along its street, swales and path so you are still judging at an incomplete, unfinished look.

Thanks for reading!