• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We need to tally the number of complaints about this guy- on SoWal and in the press combined. I have yet to read or hear anything positive about him. Someone tell me the story of why he is the sheriff?:dunno:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Thats what I have been asking???? Way back...even when he was a candidate the first time running. It blew my mind that he was elected. Step up to the polls and be heard!!!

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Just a general comment on complaints where elected or employee complaints are concerned for any county office. I know many will say where there is smoke there is fire and that maybe so, but we have to wait for these investigations to be concluded, before we know the facts and they are put on record. Even as a member of the media, I believe people should not be tried in the press or by rumor. If what is being said is true then it will come out through the investigations and appropriate action will ensue.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Aleonard. That is certainly true and should be kept in mind. However, elections have a time certain date and most of the convictions happen after the election. Then, it is questionable if appropriate action ensues. One could recommend to a candidate to do whatever it takes to get elected. Say anything. Spend whatever. Make Machiavelli proud. You'll get elected and the punishment will be minor. Voters will forget about it by the next election. In the meantime, you have two or four years to do whatever. Therefore, a lively discussion beforehand by the public is important if we have any hope of electing honest representatives with the public's best interest in mind.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Aleonard. That is certainly true and should be kept in mind. However, elections have a time certain date and most of the convictions happen after the election. Then, it is questionable if appropriate action ensues. One could recommend to a candidate to do whatever it takes to get elected. Say anything. Spend whatever. Make Machiavelli proud. You'll get elected and the punishment will be minor. Voters will forget about it by the next election. In the meantime, you have two or four years to do whatever. Therefore, a lively discussion beforehand by the public is important if we have any hope of electing honest representatives with the public's best interest in mind.

I agree 100% with your quote above and all factual evidence and quotes should be gathered by the media, investigating officials and the public and put into the public eye for discussion before elections.:clap:

But, speaking personally, I know people talk. Sometimes it's sound, sometimes it's not. I can only hope if I ever had to be in the public eye as an official, I would be judged by the public on facts and not speculation.

I am asked very often why these issues are only in the spotlight sometimes during an election year. My answer from my experience so far is that's when we see the majority of complaints filed. Not all, but many. I'm not going to speculate about that except to say I believe the reasons are very varied.

ps......I'd like to add that this is my opinion and only my opinion concerning all elected offices or other type of public or private figures in the press these day.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There are always rumors and gossip - even more so in an election year I would imagine.

The stuff I am hearing is directly from a source who could care less who was sheriff - the incidents are problems w/ sheriff's department personnel, not the sheriff himself and are severely in the WTF category and being investigated.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Money $$$ ???

There are always rumors and gossip - even more so in an election year I would imagine.

The stuff I am hearing is directly from a source who could care less who was sheriff - the incidents are problems w/ sheriff's department personnel, not the sheriff himself and are severely in the WTF category and being investigated.

Are you refering to the missing money from a traffic crash investigation that took place in Freeport? :shock:

sweetgal

Beach Comber
Jun 13, 2008
Defuniak Springs Florida
Just remember this, that there are alot of good people in that department. They work hard, and do a good job.