• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
As an outsider/vacationer, I read these things. Makes me not want to visit there but then we still do.
So, we try to do our part when we are there. We mostly park our van and either walk or ride our bikes. We should buy groceries more than we do, but we end up eating out at least once a day. (We also take food back with us for the ride home and the next day:)
We don't leave our things on the beach and certainly never leave trash. We do bring our own chairs and umbrellas and try to 'plant' ourselves around/beside the vendor chairs, the best we can. (Last visit was awful with nouveau owners who should have bought in PCB but want to brag to everyone that they own a house in Seaside. Maybe they've lost money on the stock market and can't afford it anymore. Knoxville TN folks.)
Lots of public beach access without fewer private homes would be wonderful. Wouldn't it be lovely if people who started building these big homes down there would build on the north side of 30A and buy the land across the street and donate it to be a preserve forever?
Doing that, they would still have their beach views and really close beach access but a gift for many generations to come. It would only take one family to start it.
Let me know what else I can do.
Ellen

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
If the new rumor is true, Walton just lost one of its Beach Access Walk Overs...

Yeah for Private Property owners...?...?...

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
As an outsider/vacationer, I read these things. Makes me not want to visit there but then we still do.
So, we try to do our part when we are there. We mostly park our van and either walk or ride our bikes. We should buy groceries more than we do, but we end up eating out at least once a day. (We also take food back with us for the ride home and the next day:)
We don't leave our things on the beach and certainly never leave trash. We do bring our own chairs and umbrellas and try to 'plant' ourselves around/beside the vendor chairs, the best we can. (Last visit was awful with nouveau owners who should have bought in PCB but want to brag to everyone that they own a house in Seaside. Maybe they've lost money on the stock market and can't afford it anymore. Knoxville TN folks.)
Lots of public beach access without fewer private homes would be wonderful. Wouldn't it be lovely if people who started building these big homes down there would build on the north side of 30A and buy the land across the street and donate it to be a preserve forever?
Doing that, they would still have their beach views and really close beach access but a gift for many generations to come. It would only take one family to start it.
Ellen

Ellen, thank goodness for you!

You are a voice many need to hear.

Our area, once a high end vacation destination, has been transformed into a first class poop hole of trashy tourists.

Blame here falls squarely on Dawn M., past TDC Director, who took orders from our BCC...

Glad you see the issues here and we hope to bring this area back to its highpoint soon.

You are the exact type of visitor I want to service, provide beach chairs for, wait tables for, etc.

Your opine is priceless.

Thanks.

Rainlr

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2016
Ellen

Thank you Ellen for continuing to come and support our community. Mr. Gildewell made an excellent point; the TDC should use their millions to purchase existing vacant beach property and improve on what we already have instead of spending more to attract tourist to an already over-stressed and overcrowded beach. You ask what you can do to help. Call or write the TDC and our county officials with your concerns, you bring an important prospective to the conversation. Thanks again Ellen people like you are vital to our area.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
What a bummer. The beach should be shared by all and taken care of by all.

Y'all forced me back onto Sowal from my recent lurker status. Had to get a new name because I couldn't remember how to get back onto the old one. Kurt! For those who've been around for many years down there, some might remember me as ASH.
We lived and worked in Santa Rosa Beach over 5 years.
Met many of you at some of the Soiree's on the beach. Miss you guys like crazy!!

I did submit a letter to the commissioners in support of keeping the beaches public. We'll be there in April to assist the local economy for a week or so. Please don't drive away the folks who want to help keep places like Santa Rosa Beach thriving.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013

Y'all forced me back onto Sowal from my recent lurker status. Had to get a new name because I couldn't remember how to get back onto the old one. Kurt! For those who've been around for many years down there, some might remember me as ASH.
Met many of you at some of the Soiree's on the beach. Miss you guys like crazy!!

I did submit a letter to the commissioners in support of keeping the beaches public. We'll be there in April to assist the local economy for a week or so. Please don't drive away the folks who want to help keep places like Santa Rosa Beach thriving.
Be careful what you WISH for! Also, hope a vendor doesn't try to bully you and your family from your beach space if he wants it.....Vendors are running a profitable business on public property with NO SITE cost. #sweatdeal

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Welcome back! Changed back to ASH - Let me know if you need password and email change.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
How is this legal? At some point people need to figure out that a public road, a public right of way, and a public beach access leading to a public beach do not belong to them!

Where are our elected officials? The most important part of both local and tourist life is the beach! The parking nonsense was bad enough, but letting them take away accesses is insane! We need to be buying up land and adding more access, while expanding the existing ones, not letting a few neighborhood people who don't even live there full time dictate every else's rights!