• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
Here's the recipe our painter gave us: (1pt JOMAX & 1 qt. Clorox in 2 gal. water). Spray it on with a garden sprayer, let it sit awhile, and hose it off. He does not recommend frequent power washings as he believes that shortens the life of the paint.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
Don't mix your chemicals. :blink:

Especially, Bleach and Ammonia. It will make you only :puke:if you are lucky. The gas created by mixing these two can kill you. (insert dead smilie here.)

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
drsvelte said:
Here's the recipe our painter gave us: (1pt JOMAX & 1 qt. Clorox in 2 gal. water). Spray it on with a garden sprayer, let it sit awhile, and hose it off. He does not recommend frequent power washings as he believes that shortens the life of the paint.
I think that is the way that we used it. The bleach takes away any mildew already there and the jomax keeps it from returning. It sounded logical.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Maybe the Jomax will enable me to bleach the porches less often. I did it in May and there was a lot of mold in July and August already.

Also, we have hardiplank. Are there any special instructions for cleaning hardiplank (what to use and not use).

I'm very happy someone says powerwashing isn't necessary because it's much easier to use a hose (we're only one story so we don't have to have the power to reach second stories or higher).

Nick

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
I have used Jomax on my home. I followed the instructions on the bottle and it worked great. Spray it on, wait couple of minutes, spray it off. I got some (not on purpose) on some bushes up against the house and it didn't affect them at all. Of course I sprayed the bushes down with water real well after spraying the walls down. I didn't scrub once, I don't think there is anything easier to clean siding. I have vinyl siding and have heard that using pressure washer is not good b/c the water will get up under the siding when spraying upwards at the high points. Jomax just washes off with a hose.

Nick

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
FYI: it took less than an hour to clean the entire siding on my house. (One story, 3 bdrm, 2 bth + 2 car garage)

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Nick said:
.... I have vinyl siding and have heard that using pressure washer is not good b/c the water will get up under the siding when spraying upwards at the high points. Jomax just washes off with a hose.

:clap_1: Thank you so much! We were planning to use scaffolding if pressure washing because of the potential of water getting under siding.
This stuff is sounding better all the time!

KD - Home Depot and I'm sure other places. Container for less than 20 bucks should do our 2-story and garage. Heck, if not we'll spring for another bottle! :rotfl:

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Check Franks Hardware in Mystic Porte, north of Grayton, before driving into Destin. Frank's has most everything and they are reasonably priced, local too!