• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
Since someone brought this up.....
A 3.2% increase in tourism means an additional 2.5 million visitors over last year.

Welcome y'all! (This is from WOAI in San Antonio).

Florida tourism expected to jump 3.2 percent next year
LAST UPDATE: 12/15/2005 10:14:20 AM

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - About 3.2 percent more visitors will come to Florida next year, despite worries from the public about the busy hurricane seasons, the state's tourism marketing agency said Thursday.

That outlook is higher than the national forecast of 2 percent more visitors to the U.S. next year, Visit Florida said.

The agency recently said that Florida is on track to surpass the 80 million visitor mark for the first time this year. If that figure holds, and the forecast is correct, that would mean an additional 2.5 million people would visit the state in 2006.

"If we did not have the challenge of hurricanes, our visitor numbers could be higher," said Bud Nocera, president and chief executive of Visit Florida.

Tourism is Florida's biggest industy, with annual revenues of about $57 billion.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Just_In_Thyme said:
Things just don't look that glum do they Shelly?

Not for me...but that's because I'm not hoping to unload pre-construction condos--I have no dogs in this hunt. They say the markets run on greed and fear; we've already experienced the former (which IMO destroyed my state), now the latter is just beginning to kick in. The big real estate plays for the next couple of years will be auction houses and manufacturing "For Sale" signs.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
WiLe said:
Why don't you read your link? A 3.2% INCREASE is not a "slower" tourist season.

It is "slower" if one experienced a 7% increases in years past. Let's put it this way: If condo prices increased 25% in the last 3 years and now condo prices will increase 5% in 2006 year versus 25% in 2005 that would be "slower" appreciation--No?

Personally, I think tourism will do OK as long as folks who recently bought rental houses/condos at SKY-HIGH prices (and increasing costs) don't expect to crack a profit. Nothing will scare the tourists away faster than being told their "usual" rental condo went from $1400 to $2500 per week. :eek:

WiLe

Beach Comber
Nov 24, 2005
Why didn't you say that then? A "slower" tourist season (which is what you said) and slower RATE OF GROWTH (which your link stated) are two entirely different things. Kinda think you really meant to imply that less people are planning on vacationing in Florida this summer so you'd have yet another reason to call people who aren't smart as you fools. You do that quite a lot you know.

Some of your points are obviously true and the key word there is OBVIOUS. What makes you think that you know more about the RE market than someone who actually has money invested in it? If there was "greater fool theory" at work, that point was passed several months ago and the last person who threw money in it at the peak and can't hold on until things get better, probably already knows he's in hot water at this point, don't you think?

This too shall pass as it always does and the doers who are invested and can afford to stay that way will be rewarded. Boom, bust, boom, bust, boom, bust..... The guy who bought just before the first bust is in pretty good shape at the last bust ... much better of than the feller (er lady), who stands on the sidelines observing and commenting.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:
It is "slower" if one experienced a 7% increases in years past. Let's put it this way: If condo prices increased 25% in the last 3 years and now condo prices will increase 5% in 2006 year versus 25% in 2005 that would be "slower" appreciation--No?

Personally, I think tourism will do OK as long as folks who recently bought rental houses/condos at SKY-HIGH prices (and increasing costs) don't expect to crack a profit. Nothing will scare the tourists away faster than being told their "usual" rental condo went from $1400 to $2500 per week. :eek:
I don't understand how you interpret the information to mean that we will have a "slower tourist season." If more people come, does this mean that the lines to get into restaurants will be longer and thus slower to move, or does it simply mean that service will be slower because more people are here? I guess it could also mean that traffic will be slower. :funn: You really know how to state your case, Shelly.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
I don't understand how you interpret the information to mean that we will have a "slower tourist season."

Gee....and I even typed it slow to help you understand :dunno:

(P.S. You are right about two things--service and traffic will be slow this vacation season regardless of the number of visitors who come.
Definition of 'SLOW' in the above context: Not moving or able to move quickly; Taking or requiring a long time.)

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
WiLe said:
If there was "greater fool theory" at work, that point was passed several months ago and the last person who threw money in it at the peak and can't hold on until things get better, probably already knows he's in hot water at this point, don't you think?

Nope...hence the name "greater fool."