• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
even we didn't eat possum, or racoon either.....too greasy, as you said. And we didn't have "armadillo night", like some do with meatloaf....it was another means to eat when times were rough (don't laugh, we could be heading toward "armadillo night" now!). We also ate gopher and rice (florida land turtle, now protected), alligator, squirrel, wild turkey, wild hog, pigeon, dove, goat, sheep, lots of rabbit (yum), and a &*%$load of chicken from our friends' commercial egg operation. With edibles from a large, packed garden, and a house surrounded by every kind of citrus you can think of, the only thing we needed from "the store" were dry goods. We even made our own butter, "yogurt" (clabber), cheese, and even (sugar) cane syrup. We were poor, but we were happy, and knew more love and "family" than most who "eat good, and live well" now.

Times change......

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
Humans have eaten this stuff for millinea...only recently in history, with our culture of gluttony and waste, have these food sources gone out of fashion. It's interesting how and what other cultures consider food. Bizarre Foods on the travel channel is funn to watch!

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Humans have eaten this stuff for millinea...only recently in history, with our culture of gluttony and waste, have these food sources gone out of fashion. It's interesting how and what other cultures consider food. Bizarre Foods on the travel channel is funn to watch!

You are 100% right--also love Bizarre Foods!

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Douglas - it would be hard for me to get past the following even though those spices etc... look great - lol there are armadillos recipes!

Although there has been some concern about humans contracting leprosy from wild armadillos, this is not a common occurrence. My understanding is that most instances of humans contracting leprosy from armadillos involve people who have eaten undercooked armadillo meat.

LOL Aggie! I imagine them to be pretty greasy and the leprosy thing is a huge negative!

G

Leprosy, Ive got leprosy!
There goes my eyeball
Into my highball
There goes my fingernail
Into my ginger ale
There goes my ear
Into my beer

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!

You mean like No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain? I love the show!!

So right - what we now call food is so often not even close.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
even we didn't eat possum, or racoon either.....too greasy, as you said. And we didn't have "armadillo night", like some do with meatloaf....it was another means to eat when times were rough (don't laugh, we could be heading toward "armadillo night" now!). We also ate gopher and rice (florida land turtle, now protected), alligator, squirrel, wild turkey, wild hog, pigeon, dove, goat, sheep, lots of rabbit (yum), and a &*%$load of chicken from our friends' commercial egg operation. With edibles from a large, packed garden, and a house surrounded by every kind of citrus you can think of, the only thing we needed from "the store" were dry goods. We even made our own butter, "yogurt" (clabber), cheese, and even (sugar) cane syrup. We were poor, but we were happy, and knew more love and "family" than most who "eat good, and live well" now.

Times change......

Fascinating!!!!!! A heck of a lot better than going to Walmart and getting a piece of meat from a cow that was fed a diet of grains instead of grass, was pumped full of meds, was crammed in with other cows and then slaughtered and shipped across country.

Was this in FL btw? I am not much of a meat eater but if I were, I would totally want to depend on the types of game you mentioned. Low in fat and all natural AND the animal lived a free life.

Thanks for interesting post I'd love to hear more and see pics if there are any. Totally cool! :cool:

G

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Fascinating!!!!!! A heck of a lot better than going to Walmart and getting a piece of meat from a cow that was fed a diet of grains instead of grass, was pumped full of meds, was crammed in with other cows and then slaughtered and shipped across country.

Was this in FL btw? I am not much of a meat eater but if I were, I would totally want to depend on the types of game you mentioned. Low in fat and all natural AND the animal lived a free life.

Thanks for interesting post I'd love to hear more and see pics if there are any. Totally cool! :cool:

G

I agree that those things were probably better for us to eat than today's "food".....I don't remember us being fat! Such was the life of a south Floridian.

Ironically, in later years, the Air Force took me to places (like Africa, where they had a great restaurant called The Carnivore) where I was privileged to eat fun things like giraffe, wildebeest, ostrich, gazelle, zebra, wart hog, gnu, blood sausage, bear, alligator, ceviche, and more.....if I'd only have known I could have been the first correspondent for "Bizarre Foods"! And, of course, one would be remiss if not to mention the "fru fru" foods like snail, tongue, kidney, eel, duck (which should be called "yuck"...it's GREASY), goose liver, beef tartar, squid, and "sushi" (better known as raw fish!).

If you are what you eat.....then I guess I'm just a mess!!:blink:

Michael Varley

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2007
Good Luck! We have an armadillo residing under our porch. He tunnels from spot to spot and enjoys digging up the yard looking for grum worms and bugs to dine on. I called a professional traper for advise. He suggested three things I could do, shoot him (not), trap and relocated him myself or hire him for $500 to get rid of the little fellow (not). The trapper said armadillos have several homes. They can tunnel and burrow from yard to yard. We've filled the tunnels with concrete only to have the critter dig a new passage. If you are thinking about trapping them they usually feed at night and in early morning. Our garden is covered with mesh fencing to keep the armadillos, coons, deer and all the other critters out. I've decided to leave the animals be, as long as they don't get really destructive. This area was there home before I built my home here. I'm also a Cajun and admitt to have eaten some unusual things, but not an armadillo! Good Luck!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
The fact that Y'all know it's greazy is grossing me out~~~~~~~~