• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
..and, if you want to eat Thai, Indian or Mexican, I've got the scoop.

I also have an annual pass to the Aquarium, and I've been missing my penguins and otters. Hit me up.. :love:

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
JB said:
Is the Buckhead Diner still around? Don't get over there much anymore, but we always loved that place.

JB, Still there and crowded as ever. We have not been in a year and a half. Last time we went they had just put a new chef in charge and we did not like it as well.
There are plenty of great places here. One of my favorites is Dish in Va.Highlands area.

We are creatures of habit and tend to go to the same restaurants over and over. Here's our current list of favorites:

Favorite special occasion restaurant: Bacchanalia. Although the menu varies, a typical meal would start with an appetizer such as lobster bisque (outstanding) or their signature crab fritters with citrus slices (although sometimes the citrus is too juicy and gets the fritters wet and soggy). A typical selection of entrees might be sea bass with porcini mushrooms, salmon with spinach, or a beef filet (not as tender as one would expect). If you are a cheese lover, you must try the cheese course instead of a salad as your third course. One can choose from cow's cheese, goat's cheese, sheep's cheese, and blue cheese, with choices ranging from mild to sharp in each category. I personally prefer the chocolate cake for dessert, although my husband and daughter prefer a souffl?. The tab for three of us, one of whom does not drink, is typically around $400 - ouch!

Favorite special occasion restaurant when we?re missing Tuscany: Antica Posta. The bruschetta is good, although frankly I think that my daughter's is better. The fagioli appetizer is wonderful, with a bit of butter, olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. The filet with balsamic vinegar is absolutely divine. Next time I'm getting the osso bucco - always the best thing on the table. The grouper is quite good, but then we're spoiled by getting the freshest of fish at the beach. Still it's a luxury just to dine at a place that *gets* Tuscan food. BTW I'm hooked on their Pasquini olive oil.

Favorite place for comfort food and to just plain be comfortable: Houston?s. We like the West Paces Ferry/Northside Parkway location the best (love the food, love the atmosphere, love everything) - it's more "clubby" - guess it's the influence of the Buckhead neighborhood in its proximity. The price is right, too. My new favorite is the Ahi tuna salad - awesome! I love the house Chardonnay, Selaks. I adore the lime grilled chicken salad. When I want to go wild with calories, the ribs are awesome. They do a fabulous grilled salmon. The fries are our family's favorite. My husband loves the burgers, especially on Saturdays when they have chili. He also likes the prime rib. The house salad is fabulous, too (if you don't like eggs or bacon, don't order it). Another surprise is the brussels sprouts - I'm not a fan of this vegetable, but it tastes absolutely fabulous - I'm a convert! The good thing about Houston's is that you can spend under $10 or do the full 9 yards. And for dessert, you MUST try the five-nut brownie. Order a shot of Kahlua on the side. They also have the best iced tea on the planet. My daughter and I decided that the only thing we don't like about Houston's is that they always ask you, "Do you want an appetizer? Maybe our fresh spinach dip?" We always are reminded of the question, "Do you want fries with that?" ? la McDonald's.

Favorite gourmet Mexican restaurant: Taqueria Del Sol. What a great place for lunch or a light dinner! We go there so much it's embarrassing. I promise you that tacos here are to those at chain Mexican restaurants as hand-cut pasta at floataway is to Chef Boy R Dee. I loved the fried chicken taco (filled with fried chicken strips, lime jalapeno mayo, lettuce, and tomato), the fish taco (Tilapia dipped in egg wash, rolled in masa and deep fried, with poblano tartar sauce and pickled jalapenos), the veggie taco (refried beans, queso blanco, and roasted tomatillo salsa). The turnip greens are incredible (cute with the fried chicken taco), and the shrimp corn chowder is awesome. And none of these items are more than $1.95!!!!! Most of the stuff on this menu isn't even in the vocabulary of the Mexican chains! Warning: don't go right at noon on a weekday because the line to get in is a mile long (the food is that good).

Favorite Tex-Mex Mexican restaurant: Nuevo Laredo Cantina. I know why Nuevo Laredo has been voted best Mexican restaurant in Atlanta so many times. The steak diablo, fajita beef in a red chili guajillo sauce, was awesome. Loved the enchiladas de chorizo - Mexican sausage enchiladas topped with Monterrey jack. The chicken taco especiales was nice, too, with lots of fresh cilantro. WARNING: if you have GRD, don't order anything with chorizo. I had the chorizo tacos there one night; the next day I started having chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack. After an EKG, echocardiogram, stress test, and heart scan, it was determined that I just had indigestion (some pretty expensive tacos, huh? LOL!) Nevertheless, we'll be back, even though the last time my daughter went, she got food poisoning. Hey, that can happen at the best of places.

Favorite inexpensive restaurant that happens to be Asian: Doc Chey?s. This place is SOOOO good. It reminds me of the little out-of-the-way noodle houses in Tokyo. I love the way Doc Chey's makes use of fresh basil, cilantro, and mint. Why would you spend $60 per person on a meal when this place is divine for a max of $6? My new favorite is the lo mein. I like my wine, but the tea they serve is so good, especially on a cold winter night. I also love the basil rolls, the Japanese ramen soup, the Chinese chicken soup, the awesome Thai coconut chicken soup, the Thai spicy basil chicken, the Chinese chicken in black bean sauce, the Vietnamese vermicelli bowl, the Szechwan vegetable stir-fry. Heck, I love everything on the menu (except the Japanese yakisoba and udon) ... On second thought, you could order everything on the menu here (we came close to doing that once) and not spend as much as you'd spend in Buckhead.

Abe Drinkin

Beach Lover
Oct 22, 2005
atlanta
kurt said:
Sounds sort of like a Brokeback invite. :lol:

Yah, well Kurt if you want to come up, I can tell you how to get to the gay bars down on 10th street! I am sure you can find somebody to put a sticker on!

:eek: I don't think that So So Def defines dining in Atlanta.

I don't see the hip-hop crowd at Bacchanalia, even though where Cherish recorded "Do It To It" is just blocks away, and there are posters on every telephone pole nearby advertising that fact. The hip-hop crowd might define the club scene and the music scene and perhaps The Cheesecake Factory scene, but when Lil Flip in the song "Sunshine" implies that the ultimate in cuisine is "spaghetti, shrimp, and steak" ... well, you get my drift.

ME ON JUNIPER: I run every red light. No way I'm stopping.

The halfway-house people attack you and your car when you're stopped at a red light (especially at Juniper and Pine). It's really scary, but it's faster to take Juniper to 75/85 at The Ted than get on the connector at 10th.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
One of my current favorites is Oakhurst Grill in Decatur/Oakhurst--it's run by this one chef with creole-inspired food, great atmosphere, on the square in a hip decatur neighborhood, great prices. Everything on the menu is a winner. One of the only places I'll eat Gulf Shrimp when I'm not actually on the gulf.

Udipi Restaurant in Decatur - Best Indian in Atl, arguably. It's vegetarian, but you never even think about that while you're there.