atlanta invasion, resaurant opinions needed

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by laurawood, Jul 24, 2006.

1. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Luckily they are all sleeping in when it is brunch time at Einsteins. I don't even know if that place is still open. It was pretty much a gay hangout when Mrs Skunk used to take me there. She lived on 8th and Piedmont which was quite the colorful neighborhood. The crackheads were delightful and didn't bite :floor:

2. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We've found that waiters assume that all females dining in Decatur are lesbian (as has happened to us at Watershed). So we don't go there anymore. When a waiter makes comments alluding to that when you're there with your daughter, it ticks me off.

3. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Oh, nowwww... don't cut yourself off from all the delicious Decatur restaurants simply because of one experience...I mean, Watershed, being owned by Indigo Girls Emily does get a larger than usual share of lesbians sometimes, but so what? (Hey, might as well take it as a compliment that someone thinks you're hot and happening enough to be dating a 20-something! :floor:)

Decatur/Oakhurst are the cheeriest, most lively neighborhoods ITP right now. Lots of life happening there, and yes, the fun is in the mix.

Two other places in that area worth mentioning:
    --Wahoo!, a seafood bistro that everyone raves about, havent been yet
    --Brick Store Pub, on the Decatur square. Recently voted one of the top 10 world-class pubs, and its here in the south! Dripping with history, wooden beams, belgian brews and good food.

4. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    KB my family took me to Wahoo for my birthday last year. We had a great night to sit outside in their great dinning courtyard.

None of us were too happy with our meals though. It could have just been an off night for the cook and wait staff. We all got a variety of items from the menu. It ranged from being cold, to under cooked, to overcooked.

I'd probably give them another try just to test my theory about the off night. The look and feel of the place was wonderful. Let me know if you go, what you think.

5. skippertoo

skippertoo Beach Fanatic

Make sure you order the homemade pretzels

6. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

I'll let you know how it goes when we try it. And make a point to try the Oakhurst Grill for dinner sometime, GTTBM, I don't think you'll be sorry. He has a way with soups and sauces... :wub:

As for bad meals, it really is all about who's cooking that day. I actually had a not-so-great meal at Tamarind Thai recently, and for years their food has usually been, well, pretty much perfect. But I was eating at an off hour.

7. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we

We'll definetly try Oakhurst Grill and Tamrind Thai. I heart Thia!

8. Beach Runner

You're right about Watershed. If we're ever in that 'hood, we'll try out your suggestions. I have a new BMW from Nalley in Decatur, but we haven't decided if we're going to get our maintenance done there or at Hank Aaron which is a lot closer.

Oh, and we love Tamarind Thai. Never had a bad experience there. For an appetizer, try the basil rolls and the dumplings (Ka-nom-jeeb). The red curry chicken (Kai-pad-prik-kingk) with string beans and kaffir lime leaves is very good, as is the green curry chicken (Gang-khew-wan) with eggplant, basil and coconut milk. My favorite is the Siam chicken with pineapple, cashews, and mushrooms.

9. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Please tell me you brought the menu home with you, or I'll kill myself with envy about your culinary powers of recollection!! I always forget what dish I liked the best and end up ordering what I thought it was, rather than what it really was. Sometimes that's been good...other times very disappointing!

10. Beach Runner

Honey, my memory has been sh** ever since I turned 40. I always take notes.

11. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

My Atlanta favorites:

Taqueria del Sol - on Howell Mill or in Decatur; make sure to order the fried chicken taco and the shrimp chowder; cheap and delicious!

Nuevo Laredo - BEST authentic Mexican

The Vortex - on 5th or in Little 5; great burgers & veggie burgers, huge beer selection, lots of local flavor (especially in Little 5)

Prince of Wales (on Piedmont) or Fox & Hounds (on Howell Mill) - good beer and pub food

I know there are so many new places that I haven't tried since I haven't been to Atlanta for a while. But these are the places I love!!! The other Steeleings eat there more than I do. So they should be able to add better input.

12. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Hey Steeleing1- I know 2 gals that went into labor after eating fajitas. Just an idea if you are ready to roll. Since we were talking about food and all...;-)

13. Beach Runner

Daughter loves Vortex (although now you have to be 21 to enter), and it's within walking distance from our place in Midtown. I love their burgers.

Fox & Hounds is her "girls' night out" place. I've never been there.

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Beach Lover

Nobody has even mentioned The Varsity! Now they do have some tasty treats and the price is so easy on the pocketbook. I could go for a chili dawg with greasy onion rings right now. YUM!! YUM!!

Maybe we'll do that for Thanksgiving dinner this year. How does that sound?

15. skippertoo

skippertoo Beach Fanatic

:puke:

16. Beach Runner

My Mom always took us to The Varsity as a treat if we behaved at our yearly trips to Dr. Davenport (as mentioned in the Anne Rivers Siddons' novel "Peachtree Road"). One year I ran away from home to avoid the yearly vaccinations. Dr. Davenport would have to sit on me to give me my injections.

I love me some chili dogs, onion rings, and frosted orange drinks at The Varsity. I always smile when I see families right after a Georgia Tech graduation going to The Varsity one last time. Hopefully we'll be celebrating a new GT grad there within the next year. BTW John Gordy was a friend of my dad and tried to encourage him to be a partner in the business. OOPS! The only bad business decision I ever remember my father making.

17. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

Maybe I'll try that tonight. I've been eating lots of Thai food, but I think it just makes him go to sleep.

18. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

If you happen to go into labor tonight after eating fajitas and we don't get to chat with you again until after the birth of this sweet boy, I just want you to know that I hope everything goes well with the birth. So looking forward to seeing pictures when you feel like posting!

19. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

She's either going to be thankful or curse me.:shock: OK- we are officially on Babywatch.

20. tistheseason

tistheseason Beach Fanatic

For a great new restaurant check out The Globe. It's on 5th street at Spring street in an area called Technology Square right by Ga Tech. It's a great restaurant. The chef, Joshua Perkins, was recently profiled in Esquire magazine as a hot new chef to watch (they profiled maybe 5 from the entire US). And the AJC and Atlanta Mag have mentioned it as one of the best new restaurants.

So, enough about what the critics think. I have enjoyed every meal there. It's a beautiful space, very slick but surprisingly comfortable. The lamb sandwich is great. I've heard rave reviews of the Spaghetti (who raves about spaghetti -- so I have to try it!) The desserts are incredible. But the thing I loved the best there is the BRUNCH. They serve it on Saturday and Sunday with $5 mimosas and bloodies. I loved the lemon ricotta pancakes!