• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I don't understand what this has to do with turtles unless they are concerned with hatchlings wanting to join your party because they see the light. There aren't so many allowed that it would leave no place for a turtle to come in at night to lay eggs.
Beaches and a bonfire are like peanut butter and jelly. They just go together.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
The original ordinance provided for a fire container to be provided with the permit issued. Never done - nadda, zero. There have been over 400 permits issued this year raising approx. 20,000. Folks understand this - it is simply a revenue stream for the county.

They have never enforced any portion of the ordinance, but they rake in the money.

I guess the turtles bump into the fire remnants people leave on the beach - no enforcement no cleanup.

So be it - the Green Wave has hit and before long I will not even be able to sit on property and watch the sunset.

We have to have the habitat preservation plan because we allow sea walls.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I just had one last Saturday. Good times. Planning on having another in early June. I hope this isn't true. Do we really have a problem? I am under the impression that generally the beach bonfire thing is working just fine...

I haven't tried in awhile, but you used to pay for the permit at the annex and pick up the barrel at the sheriff's station. Guess I need to get out more.

Before long they will ban walking on the beach so as not to traumatize the turtles. 100,000 people will look funny sunning and bathing at the 331 bridge. :bang:

JamBone

Beach Fanatic
Jan 24, 2008
SRB FL
i have bonfires every full moon. we call it the full bone party. its a blast!!! at one time you went to the sheriff's office, paid $50 for a permit, they GAVE you a burn barrel and the permit on the day of the fire. you had your fire and left the burn barrel on the beach. they would pick up the barrel for you the next day (after it cooled) and then you could go and get $25 back. great system. now, you go to the south walton annex, sign in, wait in line, go into the codes office, fill out the paper work, pay the $50 and you must provide and show them your burn barrel. you get no money back. you must remove the burn barrel your self. vehicles must be off grayton beach by 10 pm so in order to remove the burn barrel by ten so you dont have to carry it by hand across the beach it needs to be cooled down enough to put in the truck. so really you need to end the bonfire before dark so as to move the barrel by ten. or you can stay on the beach without a vehicle which there are plenty of places to have a bonfire besides driving on grayton and have the fire as long as you want. but you still have to remove a hot barrel or douse it with water which creates its own crazy sooty ember mess. the old system was very user friendly. this one is not so much. when they picked the barrel up for you the next day there was way less mess because the barrel cooled down without drenching the fire in water. hope they dont end it all together though because its my favorite thing to do!!! i am inspected and checked up for my permit every time and i appreciate that enforcement. the crazy thing is i have seen several fires that weren't in barrels - just holes in the sand and those fires were not stopped by the sheriff? maybe you don't need a barrel? never asked about it though.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Well with code enforcement working weekends maybe they will put somebody on nights to pick the barrel up?

Chuckster

Beach Comber
Sep 20, 2007
This is another example of government legislating our lives.

Legislation banning all vehicles (except the code enforcement police), from Grayton beach will be next!

I am not against reasonable regulations, but things are getting out of

hand with this government intervention thing!:bang: