• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
I believe it is called the Mean High Water Line.

Many times, folks will talk about wet sand. If it gets wet, it's public. However, I see the vendors set up chairs early in the morning that will be in water at high tide.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Keep getting reports of dozens of chairs set up at Grayton Beach, taking away much space from people who show up with their own chairs (which is most people). This is getting out of hand, imo. NO vendors should have the right to take up space with empty chairs - at all.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Keep getting reports of dozens of chairs set up at Grayton Beach, taking away much space from people who show up with their own chairs (which is most people). This is getting out of hand, imo. NO vendors should have the right to take up space with empty chairs - at all.
witnessed at BMB this AM.......

A vendor had green umbrella sitting on front row since 5:45-6:00A'M..all setups had names mostly condo/house names ..around 10:00 A'M a group walks up gets green umbrella phone and calls....instantly he appears ( he is usually lurking on public beach deck) cuts his deal with the group telling them they could have this umbrella since
Named group just called and said they didn't need theirs today.....this trick happens everyday on ALL beaches.....

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
witnessed at BMB this AM.......

A vendor had green umbrella sitting on front row since 5:45-6:00A'M..all setups had names mostly condo/house names ..around 10:00 A'M a group walks up gets green umbrella phone and calls....instantly he appears ( he is usually lurking on public beach deck) cuts his deal with the group telling them they could have this umbrella since
Named group just called and said they didn't need theirs today.....this trick happens everyday on ALL beaches.....

makes me cringe. Our beaches should be treated as beautiful parks and preserves and not be a place of business.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
At Grayton on Sunday morning at 7:30AM there was barely any room that was not taken up by vendors around the Red Bar access. Nothing has changed with the enactment of the new vendor ordinances. It's as if they aren't being enforced at all. Maybe we should start one of those online petitions about this.

And then there's the "Beach Boys" vendor garbage on Defuniak. Is this against zoning? It sure is ugly. Plus there are posts in the ROW with yellow rope and chain. What's up with that? Both are tacky, totally out of character, and probably not legal.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
So sad. You go to the beach to relax and chill out, not to jockey for beach chair position. I'd gladly sign any petition prohibiting, or limiting, beach vendor activity.

TimeIsFree

Beach Lover
Sep 25, 2008
How in the world can the vendor afford all the cairs and umbrellas when they mostly go un-rented? Maybe that's why they're all so hot to make a deal. They need any money to mak up for the initial outlay.

With mostly skinny beaches in s.walton, there so little room to relax....

Bring the chainsaw !

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
if you post vendor problems here???? please then copy ur response and paste to an email to our commissioner Cindy Meadows doubt she trolls this site. She needs to see OUR PLIGHT. meacindy@co.walton.fl.us....this is our best HOPE. SHE DOES ANSWER MY EMAILS.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
if you post vendor problems here???? please then copy ur response and paste to an email to our commissioner Cindy Meadows doubt she trolls this site. She needs to see OUR PLIGHT. meacindy@co.walton.fl.us....this is our best HOPE. SHE DOES ANSWER MY EMAILS.

I'll bet she's a forum lurker.