• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
This entire continuance of the BCC approving density increases will kill the part of what makes our area so attractive. Right now, in Miramar Beach, I can show you place on the beach where you can see umbrellas and chairs, three rows deep. Even if the BCC stops increasing the density today, when all of the existing lots are built out, we, too, will be seeing three rows deep of umbrellas and chairs on the beach. :bang: I think the BCC is too focused on the short-term and generating tax revenues.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
This entire continuance of the BCC approving density increases will kill the part of what makes our area so attractive. Right now, in Miramar Beach, I can show you place on the beach where you can see umbrellas and chairs, three rows deep. Even if the BCC stops increasing the density today, when all of the existing lots are built out, we, too, will be seeing three rows deep of umbrellas and chairs on the beach. :bang: I think the BCC is too focused on the short-term and generating tax revenues.

I expect more of the same now that "Sorry Charlie" has decreed that counties must cut taxes. One way to "bump up" the tax would be to re-zone existing property to higher density in order to increase the tax revenue.

Mango: No prayer meetings for density....Density if the devil's work :cool:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
yeah, it's as though the Growth Management Act and the Comprehensive Plan do not exist for Walton County.

Can anyone say developers with deep pockets?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

summertime87

Beach Comber
Jul 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
What this is really about is the need for law reform. "The law is not an enemy of common sense." Therefore, no one should have the ability to "own" the beach! It doesn't make any sense. Of course tourists (or even locals for that matter) don't know what beach is considered private and what is public. Personally, I know I look for a vacant spot of beach when I go, which is more likely to be "private." How sad that our tourists are being inconvenienced by property owners. To those owners--shame on you. Your conscience should tell you better.

However, there's no point in getting down on property owners, sheriffs, or tourists. This is a legislative issue, unfortunately. All I can hope for is that it can be voted upon or perhaps a lawsuit will arise that will call for law reform. Until then, I have no problem beaching wherever I please until asked to move. That won't be pretty...:welcome:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
summertime, that sounds nice and pretty, but the truth is that the legislature will not give a rat's @ss about the situation, and they will let the Courts decide. So, the only way to make the Courts decide is to sit on the beach and let them arrest you.

Last edited:
I hope y'all get it figured out.
Who owns the shoreline (and what is to be done with it) is probably an issue of one sort or another all over the world.
There was a big stink over here (actually, St Augustine) a couple weeks ago about beach weddings; beachfront property owners were complaining about the traffic.

jay

Beach Comber
Jun 27, 2007
baker
Monday the judge dismised our case in Okaloosa county. He took the low road and side stepped the property rights issue that he had asked to hear and dismiseded it as being without merit. So I will be back to fishing for the fall season.