• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Re: Private Property Owner's Rights Being Attacked

I'm still trying to figure this out. If there is no private beach, then new on-beach or off-beach developers will all be on the same playing field. The ever expanding population will be free to go anywhere. If some developer does manage to buy three, four, or more adjoining lots, they will only be able to go to the maximum height and have a public beach, unless Scott sells off the height ordinance. Redfish village would lose their private beach also, which is what you've been writing about since the getgo.

If the county does swing in the direction of private beaches(for whatever rea$on$, i$ beyond under$tanding), then we'll have the same thing we have now; signs, barriers, arrests, lawsuits, expense of private security, off-beach developers building on purchased lots and infuriating the neighbors, etc., which is what you've been writing about since the getgo.

I've said it over and over, I have never run anyone off our beach....yet.

Thank you for that...for now. Keeping our tourist guests on the wet sand is one sure way to kill the tourist portion of our economy, as is press coverage of arrests of same.

I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning for private beaches. ::scratches head::

Last edited:

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

I believe in private beachfront property, but not in private beaches. No matter what rules are made or changed, the public has a constitutional right to enjoy the Gulf and it's tidal lands.

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005

kill the rights to use the beach and you kill the business owners.
Kill the business owners and you kill the tax base.
Kill the tax base and you kill the entire County.
Kill all this and then you beachfront owners will have to kill your own food because all these restaurants that you eat at won't be here.
Kill this thread after the BCC kills this topic.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

John r, Redfish Village doesn't claim to own private beach, just a private access to the beach. In order to help convince the BCC to approve it, their attorney agreed to dedicate the beach in front of that property to the public.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator

John r, Redfish Village doesn't claim to own private beach, just a private access to the beach. In order to help convince the BCC to approve it, their attorney agreed to dedicate the beach in front of that property to the public.

Thanks for clarifying. I remember now. I did say i was confused. Too much tikky takky back and forth I suppose.

BeachBliss

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2007

OK, this is my first time on this message board-I'm tired of sitting back and letting other people make comments that will affect MY PROPERTY!! Yes, I said MY PROPERTY!! All of you who want to make the beaches of 30-A public seem to forget something. The private beach owners have a legal document issued by the State of Florida stating that "we own to the Gulf of Mexico". That means that we own the beach. The beach is our front yard.
Just as your deed to your property says you own your front yard-we own ours-the State of Florida says we do.

Now, get up from your computer and go look at your front yard. Imagine the county knocks on your door and says "Hey, we like your front yard. We want to let the public come and use your front yard. They will be there all day, drink beer, smoke cigarettes, litter your yard and not pick it up, yell obscenities, then leave the mess for you to clean up. And guess what, they will turn around and do it the next day. Oh yeah, we are not going to compensate you for this! Even though you paid for that property and are paying the highest taxes in the county-we want your front yard for free-just give it up!!"

I'm not some rich lady who's daddy left me with a ton of money. I'm 1 of 6 kids and the most my dad made was $20,000/yr. We were rich in a lot of ways-money wasn't one of them. My husband comes from the same background. We both put ourselves 100% through college and worked hard because our parents said if you work hard, your dreams will come true.

Our dream came true when we bought In Blue Mountain Beach. And now the county wants to take something that is legally mine (the State of Florida says it's mine) away. And if it was your property-you would feel the same way.

Last edited:

BeachBliss

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2007
Re: Public's beach rights being attacked

OK, this is my first time on this message board-I'm tired of sitting back and letting other people make comments that will affect MY PROPERTY!! Yes, I said MY PROPERTY!! All of you who want to make the beaches of 30-A public seem to forget something. The private beach owners have a legal document issued by the State of Florida stating that "we own to the Gulf of Mexico". That means that we own the beach. The beach is our front yard.
Just as your deed to your property says you own your front yard-we own ours-the State of Florida says we do.

Now, get up from your computer and go look at your front yard. Imagine the county knocks on your door and says "Hey, we like your front yard. We want to let the public come and use your front yard. They will be there all day, drink beer, smoke cigarettes, litter your yard and not pick it up, yell obscenities, then leave the mess for you to clean up. And guess what, they will turn around and do it the next day. Oh yeah, we are not going to compensate you for this! Even though you paid for that property and are paying the highest taxes in the county-we want your front yard for free-just give it up!!"

I'm not some rich lady who's daddy left me with a ton of money. I'm 1 of 6 kids and the most my dad made was $20,000/yr. We were rich in a lot of ways-money wasn't one of them. My husband comes from the same background. We both put ourselves 100% through college and worked hard because our parents said if you work hard, your dreams will come true.

Our dream came true when we bought In Blue Mountain Beach. And now the county wants to take something that is legally mine (the State of Florida says it's mine) away. And if was your property-you would feel the same way.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach

..............Just as your deed to your property says you own your front yard-we own ours-the State of Florida says we do.

People walk on the sidewalk through MY front yard. If they create a nuisance while walking or standing there or whatever, then I would consider it a problem and consider taking action against them as a nuisance.

I look at the beach in a similar way.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Actually, the FL state supreme court says the opposite, that the beach is public. I understand your frustration, but let me remind you that the State nor County can pay you for the sandy beach under Eminent Domaine b/c E.D. cannot be use to aquire property which will be used for recreational purposes.

One other point is that many questionable deeds don't desribe the property line as the Gulf, but rather, the MHWM, "meandering the approximate MHWM," and in order to show the boundery line along the Gulf, every "private beach owner" would need to have regular surveys drawn to show that exact line, which moves. Without it, no owner would have proof of trespass.

However, all of that is a mute point since the public has prescriptive rights to the beach.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

If I didn't want anyone in my front yard I would put up a fence.