• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
Reply to Kurt

Thanks Ann - what are Grayton residents saying about the changes?

I personally have attended every Commissioner's meeting on this since September. The original proposal started out by removing permits from those property owners who didn't live in Walton full time. As you know Grayton has many owners who have lived in Grayton for close to 100 years or more, their children and grand children now own those properties. They pay full taxes on these vacation homes and felt that it wasn't fair that they would lose their right to drive on the beach that is in their back yard. There was a massive campaign of letter writing and phone calls to Commissioners and their legal representive. Many traveled back to the area to attend Commissioner Meetings. During the Draft discussion period non permanent folks were added back into the mix. The blog documents all of the meetings and things that were discussed with the county. You are welcome to "back step" in the blog for former blog entries. The new draft is not perfect by any means, but it will reduce cars on the beach, it will reduce some folks from having multiple permits many which were shared with non owners. It will grand father previous permit owners in, but as time goes by those with dwindle as permits can not be transferred from family member to family member. The Commissioners will look at it again in October 2010 and see the numbers of permits that have been issued under the new rules. If there are glaring problems then they will be addressed.

The whole reason for the new draft was that Grayton right now is the only beach that has driving allowed, what once was about 1200 feet has now been reduced to about 850 feet. Many of our visitors to the area as well as our own residents ignore the law and drive on the beach without permits. During holidays there are as many cars on the beach as people. With the new Ordinance there will be more beefed up security on the beach now and hopefully less cars.

Did you know that there are two other beaches in the county that have twice as much beach front for driving that were closed by the county? The Inlet beach is only open now for launching boats. The county closed the other two driving on the beach areas but still continued to issue permits to anyone who qualified. Our small Grayton Beach just took the hit. I say our Grayton Beach, because most of us that live here feel that it is indeed our beach.

I would much rather have limited permits then to have no permits at all. I realize that in time there will eventually be no driving or riding on Grayton Beach, something I have enjoyed since I was 5 years old....(that's over 61 years ago.) Driving on the Beach is a part of Grayton ...it is one of the things that makes it so special.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
The new ordinance went into effect today. Did anybody sneak in there over the week and get their permits?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
The new ordinance went into effect today. Did anybody sneak in there over the week and get their permits?

I snuck in by fax yesterday. ;-)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
And you thought local government was broke. Reducing the number of permits actually reduces income to the general fund by a significant amount each year. Kudos to the local commissioners, as they cut off every source of income they have. Government will have to continue to shrink. But I imagine this law, like many in the past will be changed soon, after they write a check to someone for $150K or so things will be different.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
And you thought local government was broke. Reducing the number of permits actually reduces income to the general fund by a significant amount each year. Kudos to the local commissioners, as they cut off every source of income they have. Government will have to continue to shrink. But I imagine this law, like many in the past will be changed soon, after they write a check to someone for $150K or so things will be different.

If permits issued is reduced by 100 a year, which I think is probably a high number, that would equate to $10,500. That's a lot in my house but is that a significant amount in Walton's house?

salidaco

Beach Lover
Aug 13, 2007

I would have to agree with Kurt, this like most government permitting programs, is NOT a large revenue source. generally fees are intended to marginally offset the admin costs of the program. If fees were high, say $2000 per permit, everyone would the complain they were being over-taxed by a greedy government. If you want to save some money spent by county, then look at the dollars spent on maintaining the police state that grayton beach becomes between may and august. More security than any other place in walton county!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Why is it definitely a negative?

My guess is that by reducing the number of permits and then enforcing violations for people driving without one you could actually come out ahead.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
A proposal has been made to cap permits at 900. To be discussed further in a public forum.

Would this be a first come first serve situation?

Chipper

Beach Crab
Jun 30, 2010
Beach Permit

Is it really worth having a beach permit ? Trying to move to seagrove
beach, still in Atlanta. Should I purchase permit any way ?