• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

YoungFT

Beach Lover
Aug 1, 2006
This story has been amazingly entertaining - drama, controversy, human error. The latest twist - 5X increase in the original price to $10 per share:

?JPMorgan and Bear were prompted to renegotiate after shareholders began threatening to block the deal and it emerged that several ?mistakes? were included in the original . . . . One sentence was ?inadvertently included,? according to a person briefed on the talks, which requires JPMorgan to guarantee Bear?s trades even if shareholders voted down the deal. . . . When the error was discovered, James Dimon, JPMorgan?s chief executive, who was described by one participant as ?apoplectic,? began calling his lawyers at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz to seek a way to have the sentence modified, these people said. Finger pointing over the mistakes in the contracts began as bankers blamed the lawyers and vice versa.?

Total price is still less than the market value of Bear Sterns headquarters building. And someone gets extra points for using the word 'apoplectic'. Gotta love it.

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
Someone mentioned TIPS and another mentioned gold, so I thought I'd mention a fund I've owned for a couple of years, PIMCO Commodity Real Return (PCRDX). It's a good hedge if you're a bit pessimistic about the direction of the economy, as it has a basket of commodities (actually, I believe it holds "commodity-index-linked derivative instruments") that track the Goldman Sachs Commodities index (GSCI), and also holds a position in TIPS as an inflation hedge. Currently, the GSCI is heavily weighted towards energy but also holds precious metals and agricultural commodities.

There are quite a few other funds and ETF's that could accomplish the same thing, but I like this one because I do feel we are headed towards a period of higher inflation with particularly high oil prices yet to come, and this one fund balances my portfolio without me having to mess around with it at all.

Obviously this fund took a hit last week with commodities dropping, but might be a good time to get in.

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place
Not one rep for the post above:dunno:. You people are a hard crowd to please :roll:. Well, I am sure this is old news to all of you. :welcome:

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place
Well sir/madam, I would say that you are in front of the curve and quite a bit smarter than me.

I am not an economist but I would say that we have quite some ways to go before many on this board really see what we are facing.

We are being cooked by some of the finest bankers this Old World has seen yet. I do pray that I am wrong but I don't think the fun will start for at least another year and then like the Chinese would say, we are in for some interesting times.:popcorn:

My apologies for my assuming you were a male. After looking at your name I see the name Shelly is mostly used as a girls name some 99.84% and is male some 0.16%.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
My apologies for my assuming you were a male. After looking at your name I see the name Shelly is mostly used as a girls name some 99.84% and is male some 0.16%.

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say. ~William W. Watt

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place
Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say. ~William W. Watt

Well, from your writing style I would bet you were a man, but I would love to know when you were born to go further with my prediction.

Can you give a hint of how old you are. Ballparkish?:wave:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Well, from your writing style I would bet you were a man, but I would love to know when you were born to go further with my prediction.

Can you give a hint of how old you are. Ballparkish?:wave:

Older than Kimmifunn and younger than Goofer44.