• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
:welcome: Florida Girl. Those photos of your family are amazing. I hope you post more! What's the history of your family in the area. People on this board enjoy hearing stories about the area, particularly stories about the "old days" -- what is the same and what is different.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:welcome: Florida girl! Donna has been so generous and entertaining with her "early" days stories. I hope we get some from you!

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
florida girl said:
I have quite a few of South Walton. I uploaded 2 pictures, the first is my dad, Ed Walline, holding the horse in front of my grandparents sugar cane farm here in South Walton along with family members. The picture was taken probably in the 1930's.
The second is my parents wedding reception in 1954, at a house he built on the beach in Blue Mountain I believe.

Thanks for sharing.

I bet your dad would flip out if he saw the prices nowadays for the homes he built. :lol:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Dad was born in 1909, and he and his family moved to Santa Rosa Beach around 1912. He was 50 when I was born, so I'm not that old! I think they aught to turn the old Point Washington school into a museum, and get it back to it's original state. I'm sure there is a lot of memorabilia, not just what I have, that would be great if we could put it somewhere locally.
We say he would role over in his grave if he knew what was going on here!

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
If you want to see a LOT of really old photos, contact Tony at www.arturosstudio.com.

His father was the "official photographer" for Okaloosa County in the 40's & 50's. Tony has a HUGE array of his father's old photos, which include Walton County as well. He has published a couple of books with old photos, Highway to Heaven and another one that I can't remember the name of.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
florida girl said:
Dad was born in 1909, and he and his family moved to Santa Rosa Beach around 1912. He was 50 when I was born, so I'm not that old! I think they aught to turn the old Point Washington school into a museum, and get it back to it's original state. I'm sure there is a lot of memorabilia, not just what I have, that would be great if we could put it somewhere locally.

The kids that go to school there might not like that.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
florida girl said:
Yes, we could definitely use a museum to house the history of the area, but it should not come at the expense of the kids' education. Lord knows we need all the help we can get.

You are probably right, if your dad knew about all of the clearcutting and spraying of pesticides in mass form, he more than likely would roll over.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
You are probably right, if your dad knew about all of the clearcutting and spraying of pesticides in mass form, he more than likely would roll over.

:lolabove:
I'll bet like his daughter, he didn't like no dadgum skeeters neither.

And I imagine he just built where they told him to but wouldn't he be surprised to see some of the houses he built on top of dunes, falling onto the beach. :roll:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
florida girl said:
Your photos are great. Post some more if you have them. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

alankat

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
I've been lucky enough to have been visiting the Destin area and points east (we simply refer to it as "the beach" in my family) since I was a toddler; my parents have been going for longer than that - 40+ years. My five siblings and I have known few other family vacations, as children or, now, as parents.

I wish I had easy access to pics from "way back when" - especially anything that showed the Silver Beach Cottages where we used to stay (in Destin, not far from the Green Knight liquor store - what a landmark!). We've been renting in Gulf Trace for close to 20 years now and the differences there - in terms of houses as well as shoreline - are striking enough. Will start scanning some, if anyone's interested in that particular area.

It's 23 degrees outside today - which leaves little doubt as to why I'm on the board and already counting the days till we get there again, 7/22/06! :clap_1: