• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Some months back, a post (Bob, was that you?) asked about old photos of the Grayton Beach area and I responded that we had one. Now I can't remember who asked about this. The photo we have is a close aerial of Old Grayton/New Grayton and the water's edge. The 24 X 36-inch print is in color. Very dramatic differences, a beautiful photo. I was thinking of having it reproduced, now that we have fairly reasonably-priced techniques for doing this. If anyone is interested in a copy, let me know so that I can get an accurate price based on an order of new prints. Sorry that I cannot provide an image of the photo on this Board. It lives at Grayton year round!

As for the old timers' take on our discovered beaches, my Dad was constantly letting us know how little interest he had in the beach by saying, "If someone told me I could have the whole _____ waterfront and everything down there for a nickel, I'd turn 'em down!" I cannot tell you how often my brothers and I take the nickels from our pockets and have a good laugh. And if Dad was still here, he'd be sitting at Chapman's Seafood Restaurant (For God's sakes, don't go there!) holding his ground on the issue, in spite of it all. He had a great strength of conviction, shall we say. :love:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
yippie said:
If you want to see a LOT of really old photos, contact Tony at www.arturosstudio.com.

His father was the "official photographer" for Okaloosa County in the 40's & 50's. Tony has a HUGE array of his father's old photos, which include Walton County as well. He has published a couple of books with old photos, Highway to Heaven and another one that I can't remember the name of.

Thanks for this tip. I would love to purchase a couple of these books for mr. dd when I'm there in April. We love hearing and seeing the history of the area. :D

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Kurt--these are wonderful! what a treat! thanks! :D

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Oldtimer said:
Those pictures were compiled by my youngest brother. And he did a great job, too! :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:
Hey! That's my brother too! I didn't even realize Kurt had posted the link. :love:

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
:welcome: Alankat & Florida Girl...and to those who posted pictures...I :lol: enjoyed them!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Aren't they fun? I like the old aerial photo of Grayton- amazing pic- even the lake looks so different...