• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
bland? Not sure where you have eaten your Apalachicola Oysters, but you probably got some watered down oysters while eating at a place you shouldn't have been eating oysters. When fresh, Apalachicola oysters are very salty and delicious. You can keep your Louisiana oysters. I've eaten Acme's.

I've eaten oysters at a few local restaurants, but I'd rather drive to Gene's, Hunt's or Capt.'s Table to eat raw oysters, in that order.

Hunts's is my number one! Where is Gene's?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
A bland oyster is probably full of some nastiness. Usually if there's a lack of salt in the flavor then there's been a lot of rain and run off thus lowering the salt content in the bay. Same thing could definitely happen to a Louisiana Loogie.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
...and sometimes I wonder if the restaurant rinses the oysters in fresh water to make them look fresh after too many in-advance openings. Or, maybe they soak them in fresh water too long while trying to wash them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Iris, I'll have to send you a pm about Gene's because there are only about 15 seats in the entire place, and I don't want to see a line out the door when I go for lunch.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I personally wont be eating ANY oysters for a while due to all the flooding / rain to the north of us.

kit75

Beach Lover
Sep 8, 2009
DeFuniak Springs
Hey.
THe oysters at Goatfeathers taste good. They even run a speical. Before 6 pm they are ony $4.99 a dozen. I enjoy them and normaly eat 3 dozen.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Hey.
THe oysters at Goatfeathers taste good. They even run a speical. Before 6 pm they are ony $4.99 a dozen. I enjoy them and normaly eat 3 dozen.

We had them recently at Goatfeathers and they were shucked for us and delish. Can't beat the price.;-)

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The saltiness of the Apalachicola oyster or lack thereof has everything to do with the tides when they are harvested.

What?

After some research it turns out that oysters are actually very good at regulating their own salinity level. The difference occurs when some processors "blow" the oysters. Essentially it's a similar process to what is done to crawfish/crayfish. It's to get the "nasty" out. Not all processors do this and the ones that do use the process vary from salt water, tap water, and well water. This is why you may occasionally get a chlorine taste in oysters.

So if you want an all natural oyster just ask if they are blown or not.