• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Here is what drives me and others crazy. I snapped this picture Christmas Eve morning. I caught up with this rude triumvirate on 30-A just east of the Western Lake bridge. They are decked out like (insert the name of a competitive biker here so River Otter doesn't get mad) yet peddled a mind numbing 10 mph or so, three abreast occupying the whole eastbound lane through Watercolor and Seaside. Finally, something distracted them and they turned off in Seaside...there is no reason for such behavior on the bicyclists part! Form a damn single file line and hug the shoulder, peddle the speed limit or get on the bike path! If this is you pictured here, please quit giving your fellow bicyclists a bad reputation!

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
If you have doubts about the rights and responsibilities of cyclists this is an excellent site for enlightenment. I should also add there appears to be a significant amount of misinformation posted on SOWAL.

Please refer here for facts:

Florida Bicycle Laws

For those who believe cyclists are impeding vehicular traffic please read this:

Impeding Traffic Explained
The only place "impeding traffic" appears in the bicycle law, is with regard to riding 2 abreast. However, cyclists should pull over ? at their discretion and only when it is safe to do so ? if a significant line of traffic accumulates behind them.

The 2-abreast rule only applies to roads on which a single rider can operate side-by-side with a motor vehicle (i.e. a lane 14 ft or wider, or a road with a bike lane). A single cyclist (or single line of cyclists) is entitled to the full use of a lane less than 14 ft wide, therefore it makes no difference in the flow of traffic for riders to be 2-abreast. In many cases it actually facilitates overtaking by reducing in half the distance needed to pass.

Additionally, 2-abreast riders do not impede traffic if: (the below applies to any width lane with or without the presence of a bike lane)

on a multi-lane road - motorists can pass in the next lane over
on a road with a center two-way left turn lane in which motorists can pass
there is sparse oncoming traffic and motorists can safely use the oncoming lane to pass
the cyclists are travelling at or near the speed limit
the cyclists are traveling at or near the speed of traffic
"Impeding traffic" is not defined in the law, but reducing a motorist's speed for a few seconds until it is safe to pass does not constitute an impediment or an obstruction.
[/I]

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
State law clearly places the responsibility with the driver of a motor vehicle to avoid colliding with a human powered vehicle:

Your Legal Responsibilities as a Motor Vehicle Driver
Driver Responsibility to Exercise Care
(Section 316.130, F.S.)

Notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter, every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian or any person propelling a human-powered vehicle and give warning when necessary and exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any obviously confused or incapacitated person.

Overtaking and Passing a Vehicle
(Sections 316.083, 316.085, F.S.)

The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. A driver overtaking a bicycle must maintain a horizontal clearance of at least 3 feet [?316.083]. Three feet is a minimum "safe distance" for passing a cyclist under typical urban conditions; when the passing vehicle is large, towing a trailer, or traveling at much higher speed, greater lateral clearance is needed.

To pass a cyclist with safe clearance, it may be necessary for a motorist to enter (at least partially) the next lane, when and where it is safe to do so.
No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit passing to be made without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction. In every event an overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and, in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within 200 feet of any approaching vehicle [?316.085].

The Double Yellow Line: The prohibition of passing in a no-passing zone does not apply when an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway [?316.0875(3)]. Thus, when a cyclist is traveling so slowly as to constitute an "obstruction," a motorist may cross the center line in a no-passing zone to pass the cyclist if the way is clear to do so, i.e., when it can be seen that any oncoming traffic is far enough ahead that the motorist could finish passing before coming within 200 feet of an oncoming vehicle.

About 1 percent of bicycle-motor vehicle crashes involve motorists who misjudge the width or length necessary to pass a cyclist. Close passing causes some cyclists to "hug the curb," or ride on the sidewalk, where crash risk actually increases.

Driving Speeds
(Sections 316.183, 316.185, F.S.)

No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, or vehicle on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.

The driver of every vehicle shall drive at an appropriately reduced speed when approaching and going around a curve; approaching a hill crest; traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway; and when any special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

The fact that a driver is traveling at less than the speed limit does not relieve him of the duty to reduce speed in such conditions. A driver must reduce speed as necessary to avoid colliding with any person legally present on the street.

Opening and Closing Vehicle Doors
(Section 316.2005, F.S.)

No person shall open any
door on a motor vehicle unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

Here is what drives me and others crazy. I snapped this picture Christmas Eve morning. I caught up with this rude triumvirate on 30-A just east of the Western Lake bridge. They are decked out like (insert the name of a competitive biker here so River Otter doesn't get mad) yet peddled a mind numbing 10 mph or so, three abreast occupying the whole eastbound lane through Watercolor and Seaside. Finally, something distracted them and they turned off in Seaside...there is no reason for such behavior on the bicyclists part! Form a damn single file line and hug the shoulder, peddle the speed limit or get on the bike path! If this is you pictured here, please quit giving your fellow bicyclists a bad reputation!

For the record, this would make anyone mad. There is no reason to roll 3 wide. And for my point about the all decked out thing. Would you go play a game of 3 on 3 bball wearing jeans and penny loafers. Probably not. You would probably be wearing something appropriate for the sport. Bad as the cycling gear makes me look, it sure beats a cotton tee shirt, cargo shorts and tennis shoes. There is a reason for the gear. Love ya Skunky :cool:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The problem is not with the activity, be it riding a bike or driving a car, but with the mindset that thinks they are above the laws and rules of safety and appropriate behavior.

Thanks - that is what I was trying to say about behaving whether on the road or the path and it was just taken as a biker slam.

I drive, I bike (and I even have some special clothes for biking), I walk, but at the end of the day I know I'll get splatted if I think I have the absolute right-of-way when in motion anywhere on 30-A.

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
I know you are exaggerating when you say you have to leave an hour early. No bikes on the road are going to delay you more than a few minutes. Please slow down and be thankful you are lucky enough to be driving to work on a State Scenic Highway instead of a polluted expressway. :D

A lot of people learned to ride bikes as kids and stop signs were ignored and always will be. They are not going to suddenly follow the rules of the road because you are annoyed. It is you who must be the adult and stop yourself from injuring or killing them. If you are in a car with someone who is shouting at bikers, then you just may be in the wrong car. :scratch:

Yes :lol:

I may be a little off on time but between the car who wont let you pass and 3 bikes driving at 8 mph I have been as much as a half hour late. I'm sorry if you don't understand what I was saying. My husband didn't run over or want to run over anyone. He was aggravated because a bicycle passed him on his right side and ran a stop sign. He came around us and almost got himself hit but didn't because husband stopped.
Why shouldn't they fallow the rules of the road? This guy was not riding a rented bike for an afternoon spin. He was all geared up and I am sure he knew that the stop sign meant STOP. Oh and he was just as adult as I am and his language was pretty bad. The couple yesterday were also adults on nice bikes. I will fallow the rules of the road and I will be annoyed at someone who thinks they are above the law.
Driving the speed limit or less is cool I would assume. I enjoy my ride in and very seldom take it for granted. I can't even think why anyone would assume I don't count myself lucky.
I was not in the car with the wrong person. I was in the car with a man who would have never gotten over it had he hit a man no matter who was at fault. Think about it when you fly past someone and run a stop sign. If you get hurt or if by some fluke you are hit hard enough to get killed. Your gone but your family and the person who hit you have to live with it.
I may be ranting a little but I fallow the rules and I am teaching my girls to do the same. Why shouldn't I be annoyed if someone else thinks he doesn't have to. I don't shop lift and I get annoyed when someone does and I even yelled at a shop lifter once. If a person learns to shop lift as children. Does that make it right?:dunno:
I'm done now. :wave:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
The Double Yellow Line: The prohibition of passing in a no-passing zone does not apply when an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway [?316.0875(3)]. Thus, when a cyclist is traveling so slowly as to constitute an "obstruction," a motorist may cross the center line in a no-passing zone to pass the cyclist if the way is clear to do so, i.e., when it can be seen that any oncoming traffic is far enough ahead that the motorist could finish passing before coming within 200 feet of an oncoming vehicle.

This is interesting. It looks like it's legal to cross the double yellow to pass cyclists if they are "an obstruction".