• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
For the most part, I'd rather take riding next to the cars going 45 over the people on the bike path. Cars move in fairly predictable ways, even when they're violating a traffic law or two. I can normally figure out what's going on with even a moderately distracted driver. But the bike path... is the eight year old in front of me suddenly going to slam on her brakes leading to someone going over their handlebars? is the jogger coming toward me going to veer left or veer right so we can pass each other? How to you navigate when there are five different people moving at all different speeds all getting to the same point on the path at once?

And I do my best to stop at all the stop signs, though I'll admit to the occasional 'Michigan roll stop' when there's no one else at the intersection so I don't have to worry about the dread zero speed bike crash if I can't get a shoe unclipped in time.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I have a "dinger" on my bike. If you are sharing the bikepath, let the pedestrians know that you are coming up behind or beside them. Either yell, or ring-a-ding ding them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
jdarg said:
I have a "dinger" on my bike. If you are sharing the bikepath, let the pedestrians know that you are coming up behind or beside them. Either yell, or ring-a-ding ding them.
I always give a courtesy shout, " on your left!" well in advance, but that doesn't do any good with ipods shoved in people's ears. :bang:

For the road, I will have to say that I disagree with part of beachmouse's note. I no longer find automobile drivers' actions predictable. I attribute this to people yapping on cell phones. Riding on the road today is much different than it was even five years ago. Now, everyone has a cell phone and seem to use it while driving. :bang:

Smiling JOe said:
I always give a courtesy shout, " on your left!" well in advance, but that doesn't do any good with ipods shoved in people's ears. :bang:

For the road, I will have to say that I disagree with part of beachmouse's note. I no longer find automobile drivers' actions predictable. I attribute this to people yapping on cell phones. Riding on the road today is much different than it was even five years ago. Now, everyone has a cell phone and seem to use it while driving. :bang:

Myth Busters did a bit where they tested driving distractions while talking on cell phones verses driving at .08. At .08 the drivers did a better job navigating the course :lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
RiverOtter said:
Myth Busters did a bit where they tested driving distractions while talking on cell phones verses driving at .08. At .08 the drivers did a better job navigating the course :lol:
I bet they did much better, even if they were trying to light a joint while holding the beer between their legs. Just a few weeks ago I saw a girl yapping on the phone pull up to a stop sign and stop. An old man was crossing in the crosswalk in front of her while pushing a shopping cart. I knew she saw the man because she looked right at him while yapping away. :eek: Well, at least I thought she consciously recognized him, but I was wrong. She proceeded to apply pressure to the gas pedal on her new mustang while appearing to look directly at the man. I had my window rolled down and yelled at her as I about had a heart attack. She narrowly missed the elderly man as he jumped back a few feet, probably having a couple of heart attacks. The driver did stop, but was still yapping on the phone. The man seemed okay, but shaken, so I didn't stop. When I came back by 15 minutes later, both were still there, looking like they were waiting for the cops. I just don't get it. :dunno: :bang: Just another reason not to ride my motorcycle around here. I would be much better off riding in the mountains at 100mph up and down the curvy roads. Okay, maybe not -- I like to exagerate sometimes, but my story is 100% truth.

I just did a 30 mile ride on YES ON 30A. I was not the only road bike riding off the bike path. I can now honestly say that there are more rednecks, or road rage filled mouth breathers here in South Walton than in the Nooga. I have ridden 2 lane country roads filled with "Deliverence" style housing and never encountered so many rude and reckless necks. What surprised me the most was they were FL tagged cars not visitors. I ride the white line and am amazed at how many people act like it's such a big deal to pass a bike. If thier driving skills are that bad they should be an a cruiser bike on the bike path.

As for riding on the bike path, Slowmovin, the bike path is much rougher than 30A. People that walk and ride for pleasure on the bike path also seem to have the same rule. No matter if you are a family, friends, lovers, strangers or swarn enemies they seem to walk and ride 4 abreast. And lets not forget about the cars exiting their driveways as stated above are not looking for bikes especially fast bikes.

I'll keep riding on 30A. I don't get all tourqued when the necks toot their horns or slap the sides of thier trucks. I just keep riding. I actually get a little chuckle out of their actions. These are the same neck Earnhardt fans that think they can drive better than Jeff Gordan who they secretly dream about while sucking down another Natty Lite.

Rant off.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What is up with all of the exercise, River Otter? I thought you were all about horsepower. :dunno: I guess that adventure race has really got you stoked, and that is good to see.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
RO...you spell real good on that new computer! Sorry those a$$e$$ were giving you trouble. I do like your attitude! :clap_1: Keep on biking!