• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

watercolorlover

Beach Comber
Oct 21, 2009
Hi!

I am brand new to this forum, but it looks like a great source of info! My husband and I have fallen in love with Watercolor and have decided to become owners. We are looking in the new Crossings section near the Dragon Fly pool. My question is whether we would be better off buying a lot ourselves and finding a builder or buying the lot/house package offered by St Joe/Huff which is around $500,000 for the lot and cottage. I welcome all comments and thoughts as well as suggestions for other builders. We are ready to break ground ASAP so that we can take advantage of the low interest rates and lower building costs.

oxfordvr

Beach Comber
Oct 15, 2009
www.oxford-fl.com
Hi!

I am brand new to this forum, but it looks like a great source of info! My husband and I have fallen in love with Watercolor and have decided to become owners. We are looking in the new Crossings section near the Dragon Fly pool. My question is whether we would be better off buying a lot ourselves and finding a builder or buying the lot/house package offered by St Joe/Huff which is around $500,000 for the lot and cottage. I welcome all comments and thoughts as well as suggestions for other builders. We are ready to break ground ASAP so that we can take advantage of the low interest rates and lower building costs.

Feel free to contact Jeb Stewart who is one of our Area Managers, but is also a contruction consultant with a lot of experience in Watercolor. His number is 850-814-5826.

Best,
Oxford Vacation Rentals

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
no question, buy land and build. youll get alot more bang for your buck and im living proof

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Definitely build it yourself - you'll have more flexibility, control, and a higher quality product.

I would also suggest thoroughly walking through or perhaps staying in one of the plans before construction to make sure it is well suited to your lifestyle/needs/future plans.

Jeb knows what he is doing and has been around for a while. There are a lot of good builders around who are probably available thanks to the downturn, so shop around.

watersounder

Beach Comber
Aug 31, 2009
Hi!

We too fell in love with it but ultimatly decided on Watersound North for reasons that fit our lifestyle. Huff has built a couple homes in Watersound North and he does very nice work. I agree with the other post that you should stay in a home not only to test a floor plan but the community.

We bought a brand new home from a lower end builder but it needed to have substantial interior upgrades to fit our taste. We are using a builder David Lilienthal of Dune Construction. I cant say enough great things about him or the quality of his work. We walked through his parade home this year and ended up calling him later that same day.

I agree - buy the lot and get exactly what you want! Huff is coming out with a plan for a garage (which I am sure you have seen). Its my personal opinion but you need a garage whatever you do! There is so much to do outside in this area and you need the space to store bikes, kyaks, golf carts etc.

Also, I am guessing you met Nancy Rogers, with Joe. I have to put in a plug for her as she is a great honest realtor.

bt

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2009
Lets talk build/design

I would love to talk to you about your watercolor project. I just completed designing a house for a watercolor lot for an investor. I am a builder and do all my own design work for selections, materials, and finishes. I can send you more info...we can chat by email. Brad brad@thebvg.com

Hi!

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
I still don't see how one can buy a lot and build for near the cost of some of the foreclosures out there. yes by building you get what you want but incorporate the 100's and 100's of hrs you must be on site and the many problems you'll encounter. and if you live far away the cost of occupancy for 30-60 days being there over a year or so time period to build.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I would also suggest thoroughly walking through or perhaps staying in one of the plans before construction

Good point. I don't know why anyone would continue to put a door on a toilet room, which you cannot close once you are in the room with the toilet. If it doesn't work, you shouldn't put a door on that room. There is already a door to separate the bathroom. -- just one small example of some architects/builders not noticing basic. I guarantee you that after the buyer needs to use the toilet in the master bath, they will notice it every day for the remainder of their ownership.

LJ123

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2009
Coastal Home Builder for Watercolor

Hi Watercolor Lover

We have built over 50 homes in Watercolor and 5 in WaterSound including the 2006 Showcase Home in WaterSound featured in the Southern Accents magazine and would like the opportunity to work with you to find your "piece of Paradise." Buying a lot in Watercolor and building a home to suit your needs is the best choice.

Please e-mail me at : ffimg1@aol.com or call Mary at 850-774-1359

David W Thomas Homes, LLC

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
While Watercolor is a wonderful location, think long-term. The beach, and related amenities that St. Joe built is already overwhelmed in the summer months, even though the overall development is well less than 50% completed. What's going to happen when all the houses are built, and you want to go to the beach, or the pool attached to the Watercolor Inn? St. Joe's amenity package is way to small to handle the envisioned development of the property.