• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
When you've gone without food to get the education to be fortunate enough to be able to own a place at the beach, and then you drive away crying from your boarded-up home, wondering what the storm will do to it, you'd feel like I feel. Sorry about your vacation DAWGFISH, but you must understand that what we're dealing with is orders of magnitude worse than canceling a vacation.

Insurance is "no insurance." Our insurance company went bankrupt last fall. I heard that many people with claims never got paid. I guess that's why you still see so much blue plastic around - they can't afford to repair the damage. If the Panhandle takes another hit, more insurance companies could go under.

BTW I am a bit annoyed with renters because of the amazing number of items that are broken, missing, or abused by them. But I can't afford not to rent at this point in time.

physes

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
Nashville
I too am just a "tourist" who has worked all year many hours a day to be able to come to a place that myself and my family consider to be the most beautiful place in the world. I can only dream of being able to afford my own home there. My children and my grandchildren look forward to this time every year and have for the last 13 years. I hope and pray that this storm does absolutely no damage to anyone's home or any of the area. I have been a little surprised that the home owners and locals hold such disdain for the people that can only afford to rent a place there for a week a year. It seems to me that we are the one's that partly fund through our rent money other people's ability to own and maintain a home there. I still love the area and I will continue to vacation there but I will be a little more aware of the way that people think of me.
I really hope that everyone is safe and that Dennis goes away.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
TooFarTampa said:
Many, many of those "tourists" are people having long-planned family reunions, with all the assorted dramas and celebrations that go with them. It may not be a financial loss, but it certainly is an emotional loss. And, as stated above, without those tourists SoWal owners would not be enjoying the property values they see today.

On a very personal level, I feel awful for everyone. We are fortunate enough to own a couple of places on 30-A. We considered hurricanes as a part of the package when we purchased. We dread it and try not to worry but we do. It's impossible not to!

I consider the guest that visit us throughout the year as a blessing (95%) of them anyway. Many of them return each year and we stay in touch throughout the year.

I also have have many friends that I have met over the past 3 years that live in or around the area. They would not be losing their vacation homes but their homes and quite possibly their livelihood as well.

I feel terrible that my guests that have worked and planned for months for a beach vacation won't be able to be there.:sosad: But, I am glad they won't be in harms way. I have offered to my friends there, my home in Georgia if they need a place to go. They'd do the same for me if the need was there.

I'd really hate to lose our places in paradise. But in the end, it's stuff. I can replace stuff. I couldn't replace my friends. So friends everywhere, be safe,stay in touch, and take care.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I plan on coming to our cottage in SoWal a week from this Monday so I, too, am watching the storm (which seems to be headed west of us as of this morning). I am planning to travel with two children (11 years old) and we've been planning this trip (my daughter's dream trip to go with her best friend) for about 3 months. The only thing that would stop me from bringing the kids is if there is no electricity. Otherwise, I think they'd be awed by the area. I was there a few days after Ivan last year and loved being there and appreciated getting a first-hand view of the beach after a hurricane -- very humbling. At the time, I had said that I wish my children had been with me because they still could have played at the beach, collected tons of seashells that typically aren't on our beach (they are now in our living room in Michigan), gained some more respect for mother nature, and seen how the SoWal residents and guests pull together after an emergency -- Creola's restaurant even made a free dinner for the county workers and passerbys who pulled things together quickly after the hurricane. You can't learn some of these lessons or enjoy them from a book or TV show.

I did get some good advice, though, about kids on the beach after a hurricane -- be careful of the wood and other debris that may be dangerous (nails, sharp edges, etc.).

But, I certainly understand buying a pool instead this year, especially if this was to be an extra special vacation for you this year and you don't come here often. We'll still be here next year and the year after that and the year after that.

As for guests relaxing before a storm, I say "relax away" and use your energy to maintain your own homes, jobs, etc. when you get back to your homes. Right now, putting up plywood is annoying, but frankly our family spends as much time and more money shoveling snow every year in Michigan -- or paying for someone to do it -- than we do preparing our cottages for hurricanes. We knew the risk of hurricanes before we bought property here (although I must say it's more real now!).

Our guests have been fantastic in the past two years we've been renting our cottages and have given us more in good will, kind words, thoughtful care of our cottages when they are there, references for other guests, and income to help pay the mortgages. We couldn't have our cottages that make us happy without our guests. So, my vote is for guests to relax in the days before the storm. You can help by going to restaurants and support local businesses because these businesses lose considerable income in the days before, after, and during hurricanes.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
phdphay said:
BTW I am a bit annoyed with renters because of the amazing number of items that are broken, missing, or abused by them. But I can't afford not to rent at this point in time.

It sounds like you are saying that these are the real reasons why you are upset with the renters, all of which are justifiable reasons. Being mad at people trying to enjoy their vacation while you are working is not a reason. That is what started this sandbox fight. Glad you were able to sort through your feelings to get to the real problem. I feel for you having to struggle with boarding. I just finished helping my neighbors do the same thing. Perhaps if your neighbors were not tourists, they would give you a hand. I am not about to get into the boarding / unboarding business, but if you (Phdphay) need a hand taking it all down, PM me your address / phone #, and when I can, I will drop by and assist you. :D

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Being a full timer myself, these are my thoughts......

Yes, my property value would not be what it is without the tourist - however, I don't care that my values have more than tripled since we purchased, I'm not planning to sell.

I love living here and we made a choice to move from central Alabama. Many people have a choice on where to live and we made this decision to live here.

My friends back home think I loll in the sun all day while eating bon bons - Not true!!! I work full time, enjoy my work and love living here.

I do resent the tourist coming here and not caring about those of us that do live here full time -

some walk down our street like they own the road, we can't even drive down our street - believe it or not, we do have places to go.

I ask people to please stay off our dunes - even though signs are posted to stay OFF, many just don't care. Many feel just because they are spending $$$ to stay on the beach, they can do what they please. With the damage that Arlene did to our dunes, I can only imaging what Dennis will do.

I do understand having to postpone a vacation - but I agree with the earlier post about seeing people lolling at the pool while those of us in 90+ degeree heat were boarding up - you stayed till the very last minute enjoying your "vacation" while we are trying to do everything to save our one and only place to live - for many, this is your second or third home, if my house is gone, I have a car to live in.

My income does not depend on tourism so please don't think you are doing ME a favor by coming to my area!!!

Please have respect for us as we would you in your own back yard.

I have been coming to this area since the early 60's with my parents - I hate to see it lose it's uniqueness. Destin has been ruined.

I know I'm going to blasted on this - go ahead.

I'm leaving at noon today and praying for the best for all of us. I cannot imagine what those poor people of P'cola and Navarre are even thinking.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Hey Seagrover! Now that I am unemployed AGAIN! I will sit on the porch and eat bon ons with you and Bubba!

physes

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
Nashville
Paula

Next year I think I would like to rent from you. How lucky some people are that they don't have to depend on tourism. I never felt like I was doing anyone a favor by coming there. I really felt like they were doing me a favor to allow me to come and visit their home. We have never been destructive or disrespectful. I have learned a lot by reading this message board.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
I am not about to get into the boarding / unboarding business, but if you (Phdphay) need a hand taking it all down, PM me your address / phone #, and when I can, I will drop by and assist you. :D
That is *so* nice. Thanks! :)

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
We do have many visitors that are a delight - not everyone is destructive. There are a few that spoil the whole bunch.

Hey, Kimmi, come on over. Bubba and I will be back hopefully Monday or Tuesday and we can do some "porch sitting" and eat those bon bons.

Bubba and I are leaving soon to go to God's country - Auburn - and "hunker down". We will see if my mate goes with me - I might just have to take "the fish" with me - sometimes his daddy doesn't think these things out real well - he JUST went to buy batteries!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.