• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lindatat

quirty
Jul 14, 2005
Too far from the beach (Chicago 'Burbs)
bsmart said:
I was highly impressed with the Fonville Press. I had the Dark Chocolate Mocha and it was awesome. I usually get a white chocolate mocha from Starbucks and I must say that the Fonville Press puts Starbucks to shame.

I just drink plain old coffee with Sweet & Low (and a very occasional Lowfat Latte.) Starbucks is just way too strong and bitter for me. Here at home I like Dunkin Donuts' coffee. But Fonville made a great cup of coffee too (and the service was MUCH better than the local DD.) My only regret was waiting until the day before I left to check it out (especially since it was within walking distance of our cottage!) Next time I'll take my coffee up to the outdoor great room on the second floor of the model home across the way (it was about 15 degrees cooler up there and what a view!!)

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
goin' coastal said:
My husband and I were just at our house near Seacrest for the week. I highly recommend the Fonville Press at ALYS Beach. It look snooty but everyone is sooo nice and friendly. The food and service for breakfast or lunch is excellent. Prices are reasonable for the area. Nice outdoor seating area with a fountain. Sweet story about John Fonville--he was our neighbor in Old Seagrove. He has moved to South FL.
The Wild Olive at Rosemary was reasonable and delicious too. Best grouper sandwich on 30A has got to be the Smiling Fish cafe at Gulf Place. The Publix at Carillon is not nearly as wild and busy as the Watercolor one. Have a great trip.

I have heard great things about the Smiling Fish Cafe. But when are they open? When I was there in May, it seems like it was only open one night a week or something? Is it just lunch now?

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
MKH said:
I have heard great things about the Smiling Fish Cafe. But when are they open? When I was there in May, it seems like it was only open one night a week or something? Is it just lunch now?

I just called them since it seems you all have good things to say. They are open for lunch 11:30-3 everyday except Sunday and only on Tuesday for dinner. For the 4th of July week they are open on Monday the 3rd. We don't usually go out for lunch; I can't get anyone off the beach. But since everyone says the grouper sandwiches are great maybe I'll whine enough about it and they'll go to lunch with me. :D

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
goin' coastal said:
My husband and I were just at our house near Seacrest for the week. I highly recommend the Fonville Press at ALYS Beach. It look snooty but everyone is sooo nice and friendly. The food and service for breakfast or lunch is excellent. Prices are reasonable for the area. Nice outdoor seating area with a fountain. Sweet story about John Fonville--he was our neighbor in Old Seagrove. He has moved to South FL.
The Wild Olive at Rosemary was reasonable and delicious too. Best grouper sandwich on 30A has got to be the Smiling Fish cafe at Gulf Place. The Publix at Carillon is not nearly as wild and busy as the Watercolor one. Have a great trip.

What kind of food at Fonville Press? Do they have dinner? I know you said Alys Beach but where?

jtnkelly

Beach Comber
Jun 12, 2005
TN
Casual lunch dining: Elmo's Grill on the west end, and Seagrove Village Market in the 'middle'. For dinner, can't beat Yianni's in Seagrove. We were down last week and had good/very good meals at all the above; Yianni's was exceptional and stood out. Was a little disappointed with Angelinas this time. We bit the bullet and drove in to Destin one evening and ate at Harbor Docks. Very good meal as usual there too.

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
TooFarTampa said:
Well, let's just say you can't miss it. Not much in Alys yet. By the flagpole if that helps. :D

Fonville Press is a coffee shop/bookstore/sandwich place. It's small, but they have a great courtyard outside. It's right on 30A-as you are driving to Rosemary Beach, it's on your left. A small white building, by itself. If you can't find it, probably anyone in Rosemary can show you...

goin' coastal

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
You cannot miss Alys Beach--just look for all the Palms Trees along 30A and all white buildings. No, the Fonville Press is not open for dinner, but there is a wine tasting on Friday nights.
Breakfast has bagles, pasteries, rolls and specialty coffee and teas drinks. Lunch is salads,sandwiches, and sides(fresh fruit, potato and pasta salad). Excellent dessert--I think it is from the owners favorite restaurant in B'ham.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
I had a great chicken salad on croissant sandwich with an 8 oz. coke in a glass bottle at Fonville Press today. Not cheap - $8.75 for the sandwich and a side of pasta, but the sandwich was huge and easily big enough to share. Didn't see that I could have gotten fruit salad instead of pasta salad until it was too late.
Fonville Press is now on my list of east end lunch spots (and Friday night apres beach). :clap_1:

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
I saw some earlier comments on Yianni's Seafood Grille...anyone else care to comment. I know we plan on cooking in some nights but would be open to trying something different than what I had down there on spring break. Also, if we were planning an adult dinner out and had to choose between Cafe Tango and Borago what are the recommendations?