Cat Help

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by 2bohemians, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jpbhen

jpbhen Beach Fanatic

ABSOLUTELY!! I CUT BACK ALL OF MY CATNIP IN THE FALL AND DRIED IT IN BIG BUNCHES. IT IS POTENT!! MIGHT WANT TO POT SOME UP FOR YOU IN THE SPRING TO GROW FOR THE KITTIES THERE. MY GUYS LIKE TO EAT IT FRESH (MAKES THEM QUITE DRUNK) BUT ALSO LIKE IT DRIED. BTW - THESE CATS ARE JUST BEAUTIFUL! THE TORTIE LOOKS LIKE HE/SHE COULD BE RELATED TO THE CAT MY SON RESCUED LAST YEAR FROM UNDER THE BUILDING WHERE FIRED UP IS. WILL BRING CATNIP AND SEE YOU AROUND 2/15-ISH.:wave:

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I spooked the one in the top photo, earlier this morning, when I walked by as the cat was about to eat. Couldn't even get a photo.

3. florida girl

florida girl Beach Fanatic

You know that brings up the subject of Whiskers Friends, or some other type of cat rescue program. EC Wildlife should do something I would think, a ferral cat is wild after all, particularly if there is nothing else to take care of them. There really should be some kind of program and support from the community.

4. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

I've never managed to grow catnip successfuly down here. Evil Blue Nemesis (the neighbor's cat) takes the plants out long before they're full grown.

5. 2bohemians

2bohemians Beach Fanatic

Because the cat is not completely wild anymore, being that he lets some of us pet him and he eats treats, then he is not technically considered wild anymore ...

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

...and the "wild" cats have people feeding them cat food every day. They are more like "freedom" cats, having the ability to roam where ever they want.

7. 2bohemians

2bohemians Beach Fanatic

Yes, these Seaside cats have quite a life indeed!

8. 2bohemians

2bohemians Beach Fanatic

[​IMG]

9. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

:funn::funn:

Love that name! Sounds like Evil Blue Nemesis is a "freedom cat" too.

10. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Evil Blue Nemesis is actually pretty friendly to other cats. He got the name from us because we only let our cats out as far as the screened back porch (we're a block from two busy roads, and have had coyote predation issues in the past) and when my cats plunk down just the other side of the screen from him, my senior blue cat will then turn around and complain to me about how it's so unfair that the other blue cat gets to roam free all the time while he's stuck on the porch.

11. 2bohemians

2bohemians Beach Fanatic

Maybe the TDC should make a new big blue sign saying: Welcome to Seaside & "Freedom" Kitty Beach

12. jpbhen

jpbhen Beach Fanatic

i always plant a highly fragrant herb of some kind right next to the catnip to keep other cats away (mine have it figured out) - like thyme or sage. seems to work.

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

:funn:

14. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

Does Seaside let these cats use their "sandbox?"

15. Suncat

Suncat Beach Fanatic

I am so glad to hear that someone at Bud and Alley's was looking out for this cat. :clap: I wonder if it was the gray male cat named Jake that stays near B &A's? He has been there for many years and is very tame. The really feral and wild ones are mostly in the residential areas.

Whisker's Friends used to set out donation jars at all businesses and would feed and water the cats daily. I guess the shop employees feed them now???
    They would also trap the cats to spay, neuter, and vaccinate them and then release them. The ones that have been trapped and released like this have a small piece clipped out of the top of their ear. If they are not there anymore, I hope another organization can step in.

Freedom cats is a great name!

16. 2bohemians

2bohemians Beach Fanatic

Yes, we are grateful for the gal at B&A's too. We all look out for the cats and one of the gals at Perspicasity was trying really hard to find some help but kept getting "no's". The gal at B&A's was brave enough to attempt picking him up and treating him. This cat is not Jake, though he is a sweetie. We call this one Smiler or Smiley. He seemed to feel good today ... eating good, rolling around, cleaning ... Don't know what's up with Whiskers ... heard they weren't around ... no one answered the number we called. We all take pretty good care of the cats but most of us can't really afford taking them to a vet ... but we haven't seen one cat yet that doesn't have the clipped ear.

17. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

They should post signs, I know I wouldn't want to sunbathe in a big ol' litter box.

18. bluemtnrunner

bluemtnrunner Beach Fanatic

I know a couple of folks are paying out of their own pockets to feed and care for the cats. Maybe they could let us know if food or vet care is needed so that we can help out if we want. (hint hint)

19. jpbhen

jpbhen Beach Fanatic

i'd be interested in helping.

20. yippie

yippie Beach Fanatic

There is Feline Friends. I don't know how to reach them, however, most vets have their number. They do a grayt job. They even catch wild cats, have them fixed, then release them back where they found them. OR they have foster homes and the cats get adopted.

Give them a try. I have a psycho kitty myself!!!