• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
i've had century tell which was called embarq untill 3 yrs ago for the last 5 yrs. i've never had any problems till the last month were they had to come out twice and fix something. each time they came out the next day and fixed it. they've been great

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Sigh....well...we had faith in Century Link but we have hit some major snags. Install was supposed to be Friday 7/26. modem was supposed to be here by 7/30. Our modem didn't come in so I called. UPS was just having some issue with our unit number but it was all correct. So two calls to CL and two calls to UPS, we rec'd modem late 7/31. We plug it in, no connection. It was late so we waited until 8/1 to call CL, got disconnected by a rep, called again got sent to at least 4 different people only to find out they never installed. Install has been rescheduled for 8/6. No one ever called to tell us this and furthermore, never informed us on 7/30 when we called about our missing modem.

We have been informed that we will need to call back AGAIN once they get us up and running to request a credit because our service was activated and began billing on 7/30 even though we have no actual service. What a MESS.

So really sounds like no one has any GOOD option here. Where is Cox when you need them?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I have had Century Link for years. Whenever I had a problem, which was not often, I would call the tech number and it always got resolved pretty easily. That is, until about a month ago when my service was frustratingly intermittent for a week. That is when I discovered that the number I used to call for the tech people gave me only two choices - tv tech support, which is Dish, and billing. I used to have Dish through CL but haven't had it for a couple of years now. Dish, obviously, could do nothing for a dsl problem. Billing could only transfer me to tech support, which gave me the same two options: Dish, or billing. It was the phone system from hell and I began to think I was lost in the twilight zone. :ninja:
It took many more calls to many different numbers and many hours to over several days to finally get some tech person, but it seems they have different levels of tech support. I kept getting idiots who only had a script to follow: do this, then this, then, hm, well must be something else. And not one of them cared about my phone problem, namely that I could only get the two options. :banging:
Somehow, eventually, and I am still not sure how it happened, I got the 'real' tech people. The guy was great. :clap:There was a new modem on my front porch the following day, and moreover he used his own personal cell phone to figure out that, no, I was not crazy, if he put in my phone number as the account number he got the same two options, Dish or billing. :banging:Somehow I got stuck there because I once had Dish. He turned in a ticket for that problem also. So all in all I would say the tech support is great IF you get to the guys who are in the right place, and not the lower down the chain robots. My advice is be persistent, insist on a supervisor or whatever you think you need and bypass all the call center crap they throw up first. I was almost ready to give up and try MediaCrap once more, glad I did not have to.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Ugh....welcome to my Century Link NIGHTMARE. Well, needless to say, they did not show up as promised on 8/6 to attempt install AGAIN. I called in around 8:30-9p last night and spoke with a regular tech, supervisor tech, and was finally transferred to a Florida tech. Something IS wrong with their automated system because we put our 850 phone number/account that THEY provided us and we still couldn't get to a Florida rep. I was told once again that there is a problem in engineering, they would check into it and call me back 1st thing in the morning on 8/7.

Today, waited until almost 3pm, never received a call, so I called them and was given the same story. "We don't know what the problem is with your install, we have escalated it with engineering/work order dept. we have no idea when it will be installed." I told them if Mediacom makes it out to get me connected before they can, they are going to lose a customer and I will not speak kindly of them.

Called Mediacom and for less money, higher Mbps, 90 day satisfaction guarantee, install tomorrow, I will finally have Internet!!!! (Crossing my fingers anyways)

Called Century Link and cancelled my service & work order.

Let's see if Mediacom comes through....

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
You hit the nail on the head with your first sentence...."I know this is like choosing the lesser of two evils, but...". There is no good provider (for almost any service) in this area.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
I think Mediacom is attempting redemption with their new lower price and 90 day money back guarantee. We shall see.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Success! They called before they came, arrived on time, connected me and set up my wifi very quickly. Mediacom FTW!

Hopefully no outage or customer service issues :)

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I've learned that if your HD channels and onDemand go out with Mediacom and they've checked the house and the cable to the street then it's the black box that hangs on the wire. We went through 3 months of techs, repairmen, etc. They finally replaced the box and discovered that water had gotten inside.