• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nmosley

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
By the way, does anyone know how I easily can change my by line from Beach Crab to something nicer - like maybe Sunset Seeker?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Convince me you are more than just gloom and doom.

What can we do to fix everything? Stop the greed, then everything will fall into place. Easy...no?

Because I've lived in the panhandle for decades my viewpoint of "local beauty" is far different from that of newcomers. If someone had told me in the 70's Hwy 98 would be choked with traffic; condos, houses and seawalls would line the beaches; access to the beaches would be cut off by private developments; and the regular Joe couldn't find an affordable place to live; I would have told them they were out of their mind too! (And that was less than 40 years ago!)

And because I follow the economy of the US, I know we are not in a very good place--and eventually the economy is going to have to flush itself, and it's not going to be pretty for the unprepared. For those who want ignore the warnings, who cares? Keep spending borrowed money like there is no tomorrow. But like they say in the biz, "During recessions money is returned to its rightful owner."

There are plenty of Pollyannas on the forum...I don't mind playing the :evil:'s advocate.

Just like I may seem like the person who stands on the corner and shouts "Repent, the end is near"...I view those who keep trying to reform my way of thinking like a Jehovah Witness who incessantly pound on the door trying to get me to change my ways. :D ....it's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Shelly, my definition of a good deal is a house I like at a note I can tote-isn't that a novel concept?!:clap_1:

You're right, that's certainly out of the ordinary in this day and age.

Lots of people will soon start to realize that real estate isn't an "everyman's" investment. If you've already got your primary residence and retirement portfolio secured, and have some extra money laying around collecting dust, it's much better to invest your money in buying "experiences" instead of "things."

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
Lots of people will soon start to realize that real estate isn't an "everyman's" investment. If you've already got your primary residence and retirement portfolio secured, and have some extra money laying around collecting dust, it's much better to invest your money in buying "experiences" instead of "things."
I HATE YOU SHELLY>>HATE YOU!!...Just when I think I'm sure your nuts, you make a loaded statement like that..invest in experiences rather than things...man thats worth smoking a doob to contemplate.
But thats were my heads at, Shel. We/I have decided that we will not persue money anymore!! thats a friggin relief..liberating. However we have also reached zero debt this year and have home and retirement cash flow in place.
So next year we will travel around the world for a year..to experience life.
One world alliance allows you to book a 6 continent/20 flight around the world trip at a good price, and take a year to do it!
Yer a sage, Shel..a veritable sage!!
Anyway wish me bon voyage.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
I'm just curious Shelly, what business are you in?...Why don't you explain to us why the 10yr yield coming down is bad?...Wow me...

P.S...I love greed...

Last edited:

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
what EXACTLY does that mean?...and again, what buz are you in?...

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
what EXACTLY does that mean?...

LESSON #2: The US government gets it money by taxing its citizens and businesses or by borrowing money from people who have money to lend.

Since the government likes to spend lots and lots of money, but doesn't want to hurt people's feelings by making them pay taxes, it must borrow money by issuing treasuries (bills, bonds, notes) and since no one is going to give the US government money for free the government must pay interest.

You would think that when someone lends you money, they would demand a higher interest rate if they weren't going to get their principle back for 10 years than if they were going to get it back in only 2 years. And if the economy were "normal" that would result in a "yield curve" that sloped upward (say an interest rate of 4% for 2 years and 4.5% for 10 years). Banks use this "spread" to profit by paying savings accounts 4% and making long-term loans for 4.5% and keeping the 0.5% as profit. Sub-prime mortgage lenders were making money hand-over-fist when they borrowed money when interest rates were down to 1% and lent it out at 12%.

But I digress. Currently the twos-and-tens yield curve is "inverted" meaning people are demanding a higher interest rate for 2-year notes (and shorter term products) than they are demanding for 10-year treasuries...why do you think that is happening? Why would you lend your money to someone for 10 years at a cheaper rate than lending it for only 2 years? :dunno: I'll let you think about that for a while.