• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Smiling JOe said:
They are quick to get in, and want to take their profits out just as quickly, so that they are not the last one standing, when the music stops.

Now, now, SJ, you are beginning to sound like Shelly. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
dbuck said:
Now, now, SJ, you are beginning to sound like Shelly. :dunno:
I have had many more than one developer tell me that in not so many words. Actually, one did use those words. That time to which they were referring is now. Slow sales and many homes sitting still. However, that has not stopped their building, but they are not buying much until they move more properties first.

Waterman

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2005
Ventura County CA
:rotfl: One thing I know foe sho, Mr, Smiling Joe has a home in CA, ANYTIME he decides to come here!

Jellyfish

Beach Lover
Jan 6, 2006
Atlanta
This is a challenge in almost any resort/high end community (Aspen, Palm Beach, Park City, etc). I thought if you went up 331 toward DeFuniak and I-10 the housing was pretty affordable, no? Also, over the bridge West of Destin towards FWB is a little cheaper as well.

Napa valley is beautiful; I'd live in a tent to work there.... :razz:
Georgia still won't allow wine shipments back home when we visit :dunno:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Over the past year, housing and land in DeFuniak Springs and outlying areas has skyrocketed in price. I am not sure why this is. Two years ago, you could have one of those large, beautiful antebellum homes right on Lake DeFuniak for about $200K. Recently, a modern nice home on the lake sold almost immediately for well over $600K. Developers have also been speculating larger acreage for new large-scale development since the architect couple from Miami announced they are designing that community between DeFuniak and Freeport.

Yes, some of the ski towns in Colorado also offer very nice dormitory living that is seasonal. And tents are sometimes used, too. We have yurts that are used for seasonal labor and several luxury resorts along the coast where well-furnished yurts are the "rooms." Go figure.

As for shipping wine, the industry just won a major lawsuit before the Supreme Court that challenged states forbidding the direct shipment of wine from wineries to its out-of-state customers. When you come here, go to one of our mailing or shipping centers and purchase the $10 styrofoam carton that you can check as a piece of baggage on the airlines. We ship a case of wine every time we fly down to Florida and have not had a broken or leaky bottle yet. The airlines security often opens the case, but we haven't had any delayed baggage yet, either. Life's too short to drink bad wine. :razz:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Donna is correct. The prices of entry level homes in Defuniak Springs is out of reach for the $10 per hour laborer. Just as Crestview prices jumped, so have those in Defuniak. I know of a nice home on Lake Defuniak which just lowered the price to a bit less than one million. Interested? Of Course it is not entry level.

On another note, the wine/liquor distributors in GA, and some other states, grease the state politicians so much that they are about the only monopolies remaining. If you want to buy Skyy Vodka, you will have to go through Empire. If you want Ketel One, you have to go through National. etc, etc. Sure, you may buy your booze or wine at a store, but the stores get their products from a distributor, who is the registered agent for the region, or the entire state in most cases.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Smiling JOe said:
I have had many more than one developer tell me that in not so many words. Actually, one did use those words. That time to which they were referring is now. Slow sales and many homes sitting still. However, that has not stopped their building, but they are not buying much until they move more properties first.

You mean, people talk about SHELLY in real life? And how do you pronounce it if it's all in caps? Do you shout it? :dunno: :rotfl:

Not picking on you (too much), SHELLY ... just wondering, how many locals lurk here without posting? Must be a lot.

P.S. regarding construction costs: Are they really that low on average? I thought if we were going to have to build a custom home on our Seagrove lot, which we won't be doing anytime soon, we could figure $200-225 a square foot with the current market. I also thought Watercolor, Rosemary, etc, were closer to $250 and up. As always it varies with builder, architect, and how much high end stuff you want in the house.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
TooFarTampa said:
You mean, people talk about SHELLY in real life? And how do you pronounce it if it's all in caps? Do you shout it? :dunno: :rotfl:

Not picking on you (too much), SHELLY ... just wondering, how many locals lurk here without posting? Must be a lot.

P.S. regarding construction costs: Are they really that low on average? I thought if we were going to have to build a custom home on our Seagrove lot, which we won't be doing anytime soon, we could figure $200-225 a square foot with the current market. I also thought Watercolor, Rosemary, etc, were closer to $250 and up. As always it varies with builder, architect, and how much high end stuff you want in the house.
The homes in WaterColor tend to be high end as opposed to the medium grade prices that I posted. When you start to add tongue and grove wood ceilings and add the $50K-$100K architectural fees it adds up. Plus, many builders will charge more to build in communities like WaterColor, where they are required to do more things, like cleaning up the property on a daily basis, replacing the entire section of road if the edge gets broken off by the construction vehicles, etc. You can easily get above $200 per sf when you are talking about building in WC.