• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
It may be public record, but I would rather see that info presented in a method other than an anonymous person on a message board. It just feels wrong.

I understand but I believe that an attempt was made to start a discussion on the actual salaries and how they compare. The same information has been placed on the web in the past. The WCTA did it, and only placed positions and rate of pay, because they were trying to educate people on budget issues, not who made what. Problem is, the county is so small that everyone knew who made what by the position they held. It really did cause some problems when it was discovered that clerks for the tax collector were making less than custodians for the BCC.

To me the real story would be a comparison of all government pay scales with each other. Because the county is ruled by different constitutional offices, pay scales are vastly different. Unless things have changed dramatically in the last year, the BCC reigns in pay compared to the rest of the agencies.

The school district salaries are a whole different story. Since we are talking about pay, I do constantly here that we are not paying our teachers enough, we need to pay them more. Does anyone have any thoughts on just what a teacher should be making? While constantly saying we need to pay them more, without a goal, how will we know when we have accomplished anything?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I understand but I believe that an attempt was made to start a discussion on the actual salaries and how they compare.
If so, it was a poor attempt as discussion. There was only a posting of pay scales, and no question regarding thoughts, nor any comments. But, now that we are here, what do these numbers tell us? I can only guess that a janitor is making lower wages, plumber making middle wages, and executives making top wages. If you wanted to break out each salary based on job, longevity, productivity, etc, we might have something to talk about, but as you note, we aren't able to discuss something blindly.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It may be public record, but I would rather see that info presented in a method other than an anonymous person on a message board. It just feels wrong.

I'd rather stick to the facts, not base situations on feelings. I can not feel like getting up today, but that doesn't make it against the law!

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Why are you posting this? :dunno:

Do you feel some are underpaid or some are overpaid?

'cuz right now all I'm getting is that 1) someone gave you info you shouldn't have 2) everyone working for the county makes more than minimum wage.

I'm posting this because I think people should know about it. When you expect county workers to perform a certain way, perhaps you are getting what you pay for. Gets back to "A real job!"

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
If so, it was a poor attempt as discussion. There was only a posting of pay scales, and no question regarding thoughts, nor any comments. But, now that we are here, what do these numbers tell us? I can only guess that a janitor is making lower wages, plumber making middle wages, and executives making top wages. If you wanted to break out each salary based on job, longevity, productivity, etc, we might have something to talk about, but as you note, we aren't able to discuss something blindly.

Maybe because you didn't think about it? How would you begin a discussion on county salaries? I think starting with the facts, is a good way to begin.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I understand but I believe that an attempt was made to start a discussion on the actual salaries and how they compare. The same information has been placed on the web in the past. The WCTA did it, and only placed positions and rate of pay, because they were trying to educate people on budget issues, not who made what. Problem is, the county is so small that everyone knew who made what by the position they held. It really did cause some problems when it was discovered that clerks for the tax collector were making less than custodians for the BCC.

To me the real story would be a comparison of all government pay scales with each other. Because the county is ruled by different constitutional offices, pay scales are vastly different. Unless things have changed dramatically in the last year, the BCC reigns in pay compared to the rest of the agencies.

The school district salaries are a whole different story. Since we are talking about pay, I do constantly here that we are not paying our teachers enough, we need to pay them more. Does anyone have any thoughts on just what a teacher should be making? While constantly saying we need to pay them more, without a goal, how will we know when we have accomplished anything?

Does anyone have the school salaries?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe because you didn't think about it? How would you begin a discussion on county salaries? I think starting with the facts, is a good way to begin.
What does it matter, who posted something? That is a rather silly question. As stated, to begin a discussion, I would start with at least a question or a comment. Break downs of the number of people in each wage range, don't really tell me anything about particular positions being paid too much or too little.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Does anyone have the school salaries?

I have *one* school salary, but posting it would be revealing private, personal information. Posting ranges and grades is perfectly reasonable.

I think it is outrageous that anyone can seemingly get the individual salaries of those working for the county not elected or appointed to their position. What information is included? Redacted? Does Florida Girl, Walton GOP, or any other random person have a report that lists full names and addresses, direct deposit information, SSN's, withholding amounts, garnishments, or any other information regarding individual salaries? The implication is that they may, as Florida Girl stated:

I will not post any names, or any other info. As a tax payer, we should be privy to what our dollars are paying our employees.

Good for you not to post that information. It is unsettling that you may have it, though.

Florida Girl, you and I share a very similar view on the need and importance of bringing better, higher-wage and more diverse business and employment opportunities to our area.