County Wants State Park Land at Topsail for Beach Access

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Truman, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

What's your skin in this game, you said you don't live in Walton County. Do they not have forums where you can discuss your own counties issues?

2. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Well I find out there is a public beach access. I would call that a half-assed beach access. I would feel like an intruder going through that tight little neighborhood to get to the beach. Cars parked on both sides of the road, and that's just the people who live there. If I lived there I'd be praying for another beach access somewhere else. Give me a nice walkover over an existing path cut through the existing dunes and vegetation at the outer edge of a state preserve.

3. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I highlighted the incorrect word. This cuts the area in two with a large area of native scrub and a dune lake separated for no other reason than to get to the beach.

Here's an exercise, find the next area of pristine untouched gulf frontage similar to Topsail. I'll wait.

P.S. You're either talking to yourself or forgot to switch over to your troll screen name.

4. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Hello to all tourists, wedding planners, subdivision residents, school kids, and the BCC...

Spend the $120 for a family annual pass to Florida State Parks.

Not only do you get access to Top'sail Park, but to ALL Florida State Parks!!!!!!

This idea (walk over) is insane and reeks of an agenda. Bet I know what it is...(hello mark)

I have my annual pass, WHY don't you?

Lazy, cheap or ignorant?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  5. Leader of the Banned

It sounds like you're more concerned about the beach frontage than you are about the walkover. That at least makes a little bit of sense. If it's difficult to get to, it's less likely to be trashed.

6. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

7. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

Anyone from anywhere is welcome to discuss our issues. :nono1:

8. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

And I have the right to ask any question I like.

9. South Walton Community Council

South Walton Community Council Community Organization

This is a Call to Action!

TDC director Jim Bagby will be once again asking the BCC to vote to approve a letter to be sent to the DRP, State Department of Recreation & Parks, asking them, to develop an MOU, Memorandum of Understanding between Walton County & the DRP for this proposed new access through Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. This is in no way a final decision & the process would be long, but it sends an indication to the State DRP that Walton County is interested in taking the next step.

It is a tacit approval of the concept of this project. With significant opposition to this project for a variety of reasons, this should move no further. I will be asking the commissioners to not sign or approve this letter. Instead I'd like to see them spend their efforts & our resources on a more suitable location that is not within an ecologically significant area like the preserve, know as Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Once a preserve is compromised, there is no turning back. I was told by an official high up in the DRP, it is crucial that we the citizens stop this right here & right now. If this goes to the DRP, it is their obligation as managers of our land, to try to work this out.

Please:
    1. come to the meeting & ask the commissioners to not sign the letter and/or
    2. write to the commissioners & simply ask them to not sign this letter.

Ask them to abandon the idea of going into Topsail Hill Preserve State Park with an additional access & look for a new access that will be truly available to the public. Please send your email this weekend or the latest on Monday, even if you have emailed in the past. Send your email to every commissioner because we need 3 votes to stop this. It is very important for us to stop this now. Every single email is important. Numbers make a big difference to the commissioners.

The proposal for an additional access into Topsail Hill Preserve is on the Walton County Commission agenda Tuesday, September 9 at 4:00 p.m. Write, call and show up at the meeting again. Tell the Commissioners you do not want multiple accesses into out State Parks. Tell them to vote no on sending a letter to the Florida Division of Recreation and Parks that will start the process of an additional access that will be detrimental to Topsail Hill Preserve

Walton County Commissioners:

William "Bill" Chapman (R), District 1 Commissioner, Chair
    District Office:
    Office (850) 835-4860
    Fax (850) 835-4836
    chabill@co.walton.fl.us

Kenneth Pridgen (R), District 2 Commissioner
    District Office:
    Office (850) 834-6328
    Fax (850) 834-6385
    prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

Bill Imfeld (R), District 3 Commissioner
    District Office:
    Office (850) 892-8474
    Fax (850) 892-4204
    imfbill@co.walton.fl.us

Sara Comander (R), District 4 Commissioner
    District Office:
    Office (850) 835-4834
    Fax (850) 951-0868
    comsara@co.walton.fl.us

10. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Save Topsail Preserve - Contact the Florida Division of Recreation and Parks

Another Public hearing will be held Monday September 29, 5:00 at the South Walton Annex PLEASE ATTEND and voice your opposition.

Walton County Tourist Development Council and Cindy Meadows say they have new information but will not share it with the public at this time. They are attempting to change the location of the proposed new access further east, build a bridge across Stallworth Lake ending with an access on the County Property at the end of Stallworth Preserve.

The proposed access will still impact beach dune and canopy scrub that is habitat for several endangered species and now will negatively impact a coastal dune lake. It will also open the flood gates for access into other areas of Topsail Preserve and Grayton Beach and Deer Lake State Parks. Multiple Beach accesses into the parks will destroy the delicate conservation lands that make South Walton a special place.

Email the Florida Division of Recreation and Parks
    Tell them:

NO NEW ACCESS INTO TOPSAIL PRESERVE, ANYWHERE.

Sine A. Murray
    Office of Park Planning
    Division of Recreation & Parks

sine.murray@dep.state.fl.us

11. SoWal Staff

SoWal Staff Serving the Community! Staff Member

DRP-MOU-Authorization-Request-v11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  12. seal

seal Beach Lover

Truman,

Would you start a Facebook page so that more people that don't want new access to Topsail can hear about this, and ACT? I believe the reach would be further than just SoWal forum alone, and the word can get out much faster.

And please post that Facebook page once it's up.

I am writing Sine A. Murray now....

13. seal

seal Beach Lover

Either not enough Walton County citizens who are opposed to this have not spoken up, or the commissioners are just ignoring the people. Is there not ONE commissioner opposed to this?

14. Teresa

business facebook pages get almost no reach, unless paid advertising goes into it. but there is a Walton County facebook group that is discussing the issue at length. you must request to be a member. it's a good group of concerned citizens but rather small segment of pretty involved citizens from South Walton, mostly of the same opinions.

all these options are good, in addition to SoWal Forum. I imagine there are endless comments on Walton Sun articles? I don't know though - I don't really follow it.

15. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

there's no chance there's a third choice? perhaps there are more people who are for more access than you imagine????

16. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Who would be for taking state land and giving it to a small subdivision? That's what this is clearly about. Somebody on the BCC or the TDC owes someone a favor or lives in that subdivision.

Facebook is a mess. This website is where it's at. :bow:

17. Teresa

I don't think most oppose more access to the beach.. it's just the preservation of our State Park that's such a concern here. It is a preserve for a reason.

18. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

I'm not going to try to sell any of you on the idea, it's not my job.

But replacing a well worn cut thru the dunes that exists now with a
    dune walkover on the very edge of the park is hardly starting a strip mine.

It won't pass, but it's not because of genuine concern for the environment,
    but because of the we got ours so close the door behind us mentality...

19. Leader of the Banned

When you think about it, it would actually be a cleaner entrance than the main access with it's miles of paved roads. Then you finally get to a stopping 2500 ft. from the beach where you can no longer drive. At that point you have the option of either walking close to 1/2 mile in the heat or waiting for a shuttle to get to the beach. If there was ever a state preserve that seems to discourage people from having a beach experience, this is it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  20. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

It's a slippery slope. This is just one small instance of protecting park land that goes back generations. Thank goodness thoughtful people usually prevail or our protected lands would all erode from short sighted thinking like yours.