County Wants State Park Land at Topsail for Beach Access

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Truman, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

Try to get this thru your simple mind, I have no cause here,
    I have no compelling interest in this walkover
    except to point at hypocrites and NIMBYs

You may paint yourselves as Thoreaux or Muir but in
    reality most of you simply want the power to tell
    others what they may or may not do.
    If my posts are too much for your delicate sensibilities just stop reading them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Let's slow down a bit Zebra... I agree with you that attacking people for their positions is not right. However throughout this thread any time someone has even tacitly supported the walkover, we have been accused of financial motives and enemies of the environment. At the same time I have not heard one peep from anyone about the true environmental issue in our area....Chelco asking us to lobby Congress on their behalf so they can continue to generate electricity from dirty coal fired plants destroying the environment. But then again, it is easier to make a walkover a symbol for environmental destruction than it is to push for clean energy and potentially pay a higher power bill.

3. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Wow that's quite a leap.

I didn't know about the issue you speak of and I bet most people don't. Will you start a new thread about it and give us the facts? Thanks...

4. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

the way I see this is ...a gated community is wanting the COUNTY to procure STATE land to build a "public" walkover in a community that there is no "public" access to this walkover and they are not willing to give up any property to make the said walkover accessible to the "public".. (yea,you can use it but you have to park on SCHOOL property but its only 3/4 a mile away). If we dont show up "en masse" to oppose this there is something wrong.......

5. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Well I'm all in favor of it and I don't give a flying **** what anyone else thinks. There, I said it.

6. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

New threat not necessary regarding Chelco. Check your in box if they have your email address. Read their newsletter. Look at their website. All speaks for itself.

7. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

8. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

You are mistaken. The access is not inside a gated community. It does not connect to a gated community. The neighborhood does not own land next to the proposed boardwalk. There is currently no access from the neighborhood within 1/4 mile of the walkover. If the neighborhood tried to create access, it would have to buy property outside of the neighborhood and possibly fight a rezoning issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

What are your views on fluoridated water?

10. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

My point is...if people are going to profess to be environmentalists, they need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Did you see how many "environmentalists" showed up to the workshop in large SUVs? Let's at least agree that they are selective in their outrage over environmental issues.

11. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

After listening to about two hours of comment at the meeting last night, it sounded pretty clear that the 'Cypress Dunes access' would not likely ever get beyond the bluprint stage due to state regulations and law. I was also only roughly familiar with the distances that would be involved with a trip to the beach there, which, as it turns out, would be a hike so unappealing and impractical that it would likely make the access worthless if the goal is to shunt west end beachgoers away from some of the other nearby access points. The boardwalk would be longer than the one found at Deer Lake, and that is a pretty long trek if you were to attempt it with even a modest amount of beach stuff and kids in tow. I think the practical solutions to help access the west end beach are to market the benefits of utilizing the state park itself or buying land somewhere nearby that could be used for parking, facilites and walkover.

12. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Dang, common sense tears its ugly head again.

13. Leader of the Banned

For some people, it would still be a shortcut to the beach (a much shorter cut). Actually, if my understanding is correct, the shortcut currently exists in the form of a path that's a little bit difficult to navigate. Technically you're not supposed to walk on it, but I've never been much of a technician.

14. Lake View Too

I , actually, have almost no direct knowledge of this situation, but I thought Skunky sounded so logical. I walkway longer than Deer Lake walkway sounds too much. Maybe a shuttle using drones would be more practical?

15. Leader of the Banned

Put it this way. A lot of people in the surrounding area might want to walk to the beach. Right now they might have to walk two to three miles. The walkway might reduce it down to 1/3 of a mile. No one wants to ride a shuttle. Once you're in Topsail, you still have to walk a long way to the beach you know?

Not everyone needs a side by side refrigerator freezer and gas generator (or even worse, a Yeti) on the beach. Some people just need a towel. A quick 5 min bike ride to the walkover and maybe a 5 min walk to the beach for me. If I'm allowed to ride the bike on the walkover, or at the very least, get away with it, that's even better. My beach access time is much less, so is the amount of physical exertion. Plus I get a nice walkover, which as I stated earlier, that's the best place to enjoy the beach. Now can I enjoy a beer on the walkover or at the very least get away with it? I don't think it would be officially part of the State Park, so I would say probably yes. If that's a win for me and a loss for some full-of-crap-tree-hugging hippies, so be it. What's the environmental expense? You have a raised path above an existing path on the outer edge of a preserve that allows people to easily enjoy the wonders of nature that they're all so high on. I'm with them on that part. Other than that, they're not making much sense. I wish people would quit spreading false information (or possibly lying) saying that it would only be for people in the gated community. This could be of benefit to lots of locals in the area.

16. Lake View Too

Dang, that sounds logical, too.

17. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Thanks for the update Doc!

LOVE our State Parks!!!!!

18. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

19. Leader of the Banned

Your map says Stallworth Blvd is a restricted usage road. Thats the endpoint of the journey. I think it's private. I'll find out.

20. Seaducer

Seaducer Banned

just to be clear now, I have one question for the environmental power rangers.

building a DUNE WALKOVER over an existing path cut thru the existing dunes and vegetation as we have now is more destructive to your way of thinking?