Coyote at 98 and 395

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by ChillPill, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ChillPill

ChillPill Beach Fanatic

Taken at 1pm today, right at the intersection of 395, we took a right onto 98 West, and he was 10 feet from the car before he turned and headed back towards wood line. He was more concerned with his lunch than with anything else. He was quite large.
    It has been an incredible, nature-filled weekend so far, with dolphins, alligators, and large jellyfish just at the end of our dock. Wonder what this evening will bring, from a safe distance, of course!

EDIT: 5:15 pm A Bald Eagle swooping down and grabbing a mullet out of the bayou. wow.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. ItzKatzTime

ItzKatzTime Beach Fanatic

:clap: Great pictures. Thanks for sharing with us. Did you take them with your cell phone...if so those turned out better then mine usually do!!!

3. javajunkie

javajunkie Beach Comber

We live close to there and many cats and coons have gone missing.........

4. ChillPill

ChillPill Beach Fanatic

Yes indeed, taken with cell phone camera- which I cannot believe captured him at all.

5. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

We saw him too! The coyote looks like a pup, it was on the N side of 98 between 395 and 283, it was about 4:30 Saturday afternoon.

6. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

Coons have gone missing? Who keeps count of the coons? jk

7. Lief_Smith

Lief_Smith Beach Comber

I believe that I saw a red wolf? coming down 395 at 5:30 pm on Thursday just before the national park. It was probably 85 -100 lbs.

8. seagrovegirl

Well, my neighbor does. They have one that decided to live under their house, it eats with their cats and it has been missing for about 4 days now. It's become a fixture in the neighborhood.

9. mikecat adjuster

mikecat adjuster Beach Fanatic

I'll have to guess you saw a red fox, which I was told has been seen of late. But if you indeed saw a red wolf, that would be a big sighting. Probably a fox, though. Thanks for sharing.

10. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I know that my quess-timation of weight is far from accurate but an 80lb FOX??? even if it was close (by my standards;-)) even a 50 lb fox is unbelievable. It has been verified that the red wolf is in this area so it is possible that what they saw was a wolf. I have seen more foxes recently, still not as many as 15 years ago, but none that come close to being that big.

11. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

If only I hadn't lost two beloved cats in the last 15 months, I'd share in the adoration of the coyote. :cry:

12. ChillPill

ChillPill Beach Fanatic

I immediately thought of you, Shallowsnole and it broke my heart. :wub:

13. Grayton Girl

Grayton Girl Beach Fanatic

Last week, I was surprised to see a coyote (it seemed reddish, and had a thick tail but was much larger than a fox) one block off 395 on Forest Street in Old Seagrove -- 2 blocks from the Seagrove Village Market.

I lost one of my sweet cats over Memorial Day this year, but I did not believe that coyotes were in my neighborhood. I guess they are everywhere.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The scrawny coyotes around here are not likely filling those little bellies on cats.

An 80 lb Red Wolf in South Walton would certainly be a huge sighting. I doubt they would get that big around South Walton, unless they are eating left overs from JamBone's. We have plenty of scrawny Coyotes and a few Red Fox, but I doubt that anyone would mistake them to be 80 lbs.

We need pics, people!

On a side note, don't declaw your kitties if they are outside cats. They need to be able to climb trees to escape predators.

15. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

I beg to differ. I have lost cats to coyotes and so have my neighbors. And much to my horror, I was awakened one night by one of those "scrawny" coyotes making a meal out of a raccoon in my back yard. Don't be fooled by their appearance - coyotes are vicious and efficient predators. :eek:

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Sorry that people have lost their pets.

Racoons are not the fastest moving animals. Do you have proof of Coyotes eating cats around here? Seeing a raccoon being eaten by a coyote doesn't meant that Coyotes are eating cats.

17. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I frequently see coyotes on 30-A - usually around Seagrove or by Draper.

Sorry they are eating your pets, I wish they could just restrict themselves to controlling the nasty feral cat population.

18. seagrovegirl

Coyotes were howling like crazy just a moment ago in Old Pt Washington. Sounded like they were in the cemetary or close to it. DMarie, did you hear it???

19. ChillPill

ChillPill Beach Fanatic

Gosh they were quite loud that night in particular. I was sitting on my porch and heard them from out here, a mile or so up the road from the cemetary. Must've been really loud for everyone down there.

20. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic