• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ThirtyAGal

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2007
Tennessee
Hi All, My husband and I have been visiting and loving 30A since 1996. We almost always stayed at Eastern Shores, had an inflatable boat, and he loved nothing more than fishing from it, both in the ocean and in Eastern Lake. We have had some wonderful meals from those adventures. Unfortunately he was killed at home in Knoxville, by a drugged driver, while he was riding his motorcycle, in 2014. He wanted his ashes strewn in various places, and all have been done except Eastern Lake. What are the regulations about that? He just was so happy down there and we spent the best years of our lives there. He was the happiest man I have ever known and was friendly to all. I know some of you remember him because of the boat, and his passion for fishing. Thank you for your kind help. I have no desire to bury a box, just to let him go free in the lake, per his wishes. Thank you all for your kindness and your advice, Cathy McTeer (husband Steve). Also, if you remember him, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
God bless him, and you for asking. I appreciate you being sensitive to our community and our environment.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with him be a part of the lake again one last time. And in the end, we all are one with the lake and everything else in the universe.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
God bless him, and you for asking. I appreciate you being sensitive to our community and our environment.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with him be a part of the lake again one last time. And in the end, we all are one with the lake and everything else in the universe.
That’s where I hope to have my ashes spread: Eastern Lake Inlet.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
FYI, in Florida it's considered improper disposal of a body and is a Felony. Further it's considered pollution and due the lakes being protected it would be an additional felony.

Below will be a response calling me uncaring and an ahole; but millions of people vacation here every year, if they all did this we would have dunes of cremated remains.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
FYI, in Florida it's considered improper disposal of a body and is a Felony. Further it's considered pollution and due the lakes being protected it would be an additional felony.

Below will be a response calling me uncaring and an ahole; but millions of people vacation here every year, if they all did this we would have dunes of cremated remains.
You are not uncaring.
You are the hall monitor and we shall ignore you. :lol:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Hi All, My husband and I have been visiting and loving 30A since 1996. We almost always stayed at Eastern Shores, had an inflatable boat, and he loved nothing more than fishing from it, both in the ocean and in Eastern Lake. We have had some wonderful meals from those adventures. Unfortunately he was killed at home in Knoxville, by a drugged driver, while he was riding his motorcycle, in 2014. He wanted his ashes strewn in various places, and all have been done except Eastern Lake. What are the regulations about that? He just was so happy down there and we spent the best years of our lives there. He was the happiest man I have ever known and was friendly to all. I know some of you remember him because of the boat, and his passion for fishing. Thank you for your kind help. I have no desire to bury a box, just to let him go free in the lake, per his wishes. Thank you all for your kindness and your advice, Cathy McTeer (husband Steve). Also, if you remember him, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.
I have witnessed this done in Western Lake. Like Matt J said, it is probably technically illegal (the undertakers have a great lobby, what can I say?) but with so many more people favoring cremation now, it is almost certainly a routine practice all over the state, largely ignored by authorities I suspect. So long as you don't make a spectacle of it, nobody will notice or know any better.

Imperialegg

Beach Comber
Aug 9, 2018
Inlet Beach, FL
I have an idea. Instead of scattering him in the lake, why not plant him into a tree ? There are great kits you can buy or do it yourself to plant the ashes with dirt and grow a tree from his ashes. In that way, he lives on and transforms to another life form. You can keep him in a large planter or plant the tree in the wild someday in a favorite spot. He can live on through the tree and be near the ocean and experience this area as a living tree from here on, perhaps near the banks of eastern lake.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

I didn't know this! Thanks for the info. Seems like people just scatter ashes wherever...

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I have witnessed this done in Western Lake. Like Matt J said, it is probably technically illegal (the undertakers have a great lobby, what can I say?) but with so many more people favoring cremation now, it is almost certainly a routine practice all over the state, largely ignored by authorities I suspect. So long as you don't make a spectacle of it, nobody will notice or know any better.
Agree and I can’t believe a few pounds of sterile ashes now and then in a natural body of water will negatively affect the environment.