• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Bob1 I really hope you do not believe that! I do agree with you about the polite veneer though. It seems polite but when you get down to the organic part of it well it is starting to decompose!

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Several people called bs from the beginning. Very telling how these new forum members arrived together and started attacking good people. Then trying to disguise the bullying with a private property rights shield. The victimizers crying victim.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
From my perspective both sides attacked each other and just keep on attacking. Is it not obvious that there is bullying on both sides? There are good people on both sides and they are the real victims. I do not know how accurate a forum like this really is. I miss the days of community fish fries and community debates where everyone shook hands with sincere respect for each other. Oh, never mind I am dreaming again!

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
From my perspective both sides attacked each other and just keep on attacking. Is it not obvious that there is bullying on both sides? There are good people on both sides and they are the real victims. I do not know how accurate a forum like this really is. I miss the days of community fish fries and community debates where everyone shook hands with sincere respect for each other. Oh, never mind I am dreaming again!

You just summed it up

Regardless of who's right or who's wrong, regardless of who wins or who loses;

The very process of this ridiculous public fight will guarantee that...
"Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy"

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Good question? Probably means different things to different people. My definition would be: A community of people dedicated to sharing a beautiful resource with an intent to preserve the natural beauty of that resource. If my definition is close it would mean that CU had nothing to do with destroying the 30A legacy. Too many people building on the dunes, too many people disrespecting the resource by leaving trash on the beach and too many people not respecting other people are what destroyed my definition of the 30A legacy. When this community first started there was a low density of buildings on the dunes and mostly single story piling foundation or block homes. You could drive down 30A and actually see the resource! Greed showed up and it all changed! Today 30A is simply a brand meaning come spend your money here and the more the better! I know I am dreaming again but wouldn't it be great if we could all find some common ground and stop this fighting. Maybe even work together to solve the problems and possibly learn more about each other so that we do not make so many assumptions? Both sides assume that the other side is the enemy. My grandmother use to tell me that it is easier to make an enemy than it is to make a friend. Boy, was she right!

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
What is " our 30a legacy"?
Simple answer: Read the initial post, page 1, that I wrote describing the entire concept, starting this thread.
Bottom line, we have focused on a fringe solution to just one of many problems. But before this manufactured noise, we all got along, even though private beaches haven’t changed in decades.
Would love for you to read it and comment.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Simple answer: Read the initial post, page 1, that I wrote describing the entire concept, starting this thread.
Bottom line, we have focused on a fringe solution to just one of many problems. But before this manufactured noise, we all got along, even though private beaches haven’t changed in decades.
Would love for you to read it and comment.
Your OP doesn't answer my question. A lot of words with little clarity. Are you trying to say that the legacy is private beaches? If so that's ridiculous.

Whatever you are trying to say, it appears your OP is about a false notion that private beaches are the reason it is different here. Wrong. It was different and pristine and quiet here because of the unique ecosystem, protected lands and we were relatively unknown and off the beaten path.

Because there was hardly anyone here the beach got added to some deeds. A terrible mistake by people who either didn't know better or were conned. Now we are paying the piper.

BTW...
Anytime I hear someone refer to South Walton as 30A or see the sticker I know they are newcomers or tourists and probably know very little about our home.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Your OP doesn't answer my question. A lot of words with little clarity. Are you trying to say that the legacy is private beaches? If so that's ridiculous.

Whatever you are trying to say, it appears your OP is about a false notion that private beaches are the reason it is different here. Wrong. It was different and pristine and quiet here because of the unique ecosystem, protected lands and we were relatively unknown and off the beaten path.

Because there was hardly anyone here the beach got added to some deeds. A terrible mistake by people who either didn't know better or were conned. Now we are paying the piper.

BTW...
Anytime I hear someone refer to South Walton as 30A or see the sticker I know they are newcomers or tourists and probably know very little about our home.

Funny, same word, "ridiculous" I used to respond to "Mr" whoever he or she is Gaskins hiding behind a fake name with no courage to step out into the sunshine. "Ridiculous"

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

BTW...

I agree..30A is a road that goes through some very unique communities and landscape that is incomparable. But to others it is a status symbol. To me it is a traffic nightmare,one of the worst maintained roads in Walton County and I am so glad I moved off of it years ago. I still worry about the folks down there because all its going to take is one bad fire and as good as SWFD is I am afraid they wont be able to stop it because of all those wood houses being built within arms reach of each other. But the "keeping up with the Jones" folks have to have that little blue sticker (which most couldnt even tell you where the money from that sticker goes to) to show the world they were where the "cool people" are. If they only had the opportunity to meet the "cool people" before the hordes of people like them ran them all off to places that are more like the 30A area USED to be.