@mputnal, there are 1194 parcels that are the subject of CU if I recall correctly. There are upwards of 4,000 real people who either have ownership and/or beach rights through an HOA, divided interest, individual ownership, or other legal means that give them the right to use whichever parcel(s) pertain to their right. All BPOs (and parties with use rights) are not alike, just like all members of the public are not alike. I understand that some people feel this is a power game, but I don't believe that is the case with most people, either BPO or not.
Others may feel differently, but I believe, after reading many different sources of information, that a court is and was truly the proper place to have CU determined (or not). Bypassing due process was, in my mind, a serious mistake. The underlying issues, which I outlined in an earlier post, needed attention of the BCC, but declaring CU WITHOUT due process only inflamed the situation. Virtually every argument that can be made on either "side" has been made in this thread. While I would love to see a meeting of the minds and the mending of our community, only time will tell if either of those are possible.
I will say this one last thing, though: Based on the way that Walton County has been conducting business and making decisions over many years and many Boards (my personal knowledge goes back to the 80s), I would not want the County determining who could use my property and what they could do on it. I acknowledge the fact that we have the LDC and the Comprehensive Plan and people voluntarily purchase in HOAs with covenants, rules, and regulations (CC&Rs), but all of those restrictions or regulations apply equally to whatever groups of people are governed by them (at least theoretically). As I understand it, no customary use ordinance or determination had ever been made in Walton County until the BCC created the CU ordinance. Regardless of any other opinions or facts, I don't think that bypassing due process was a good decision for our community.
I hope that everyone can see their way to STOP making accusations, demeaning, or assuming that any of us knows what is anyone else's heart or mind. Asking questions is one thing, making assumptions is something else entirely. I bet no one who wrote on this thread has changed their mind about CU. Maybe some of the silent readers have gained some insight about both sides. Regardless, the courts (judges) will decide. In the meantime, is anything good being accomplished by continuing the conflict among our community members? I don't think so, but that's just my perspective.