• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
FBB, even I am surprised at how low your recent posts can go! I hope you have a Sleep Number. Of course you do!

BMBV, I respect you but you are pushing it. Good call on you fake name!

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
If you haven’t seen it already - hard to disagree with this observation, regardless of which side of the CU issue you’re on unless you’re one of the mentioned “a-holes”. From 30Ascene.com:

Beach Access Issue: It’s Not Us, It’s Them…or Is It Us? Are We Even Sure Anymore?
May 20, 2019

Neighbor-Against-Neighbor-1080x675.jpg

Editor’s note: Below, you’ll find an anonymous letter we received from a reader. While we also have an opinion on the beach access and customary use issue, we have purposely stayed away from any discussion on the matter because of how negative, mean spirited, and divisive the issue has become. That being said, we think this reader’s letter was worth publishing. And another thing…we aren’t entirely sure about the accuracy of his historical synapses on the matter…but we thought it entertaining….so, we’ll allow it.

Letter to the Editor from Anonymous: Unless you’ve been hiding in a turtle’s nest for the last couple of years, you realize that there has been an escalating conflict brewing throughout South Walton County Florida. A conflict that has become downright nasty, ornery, and ugly to see.

They say that good fences make great neighbors. Not really sure who the “they” are who actually coined this phrase…maybe it was Ben Franklin or Xin Dynasty from Ancient China….who knows… Either way, it seems that Walton County has most definitely been divided…not by fences mind you, but by ropes, property lines, trespassing signs, emotions, anger, and the like.

While I do have an opinion on the matter, I’ll refrain from publishing it here. Why would I take the cowardly approach with my opinion? Because y’all have lost your damn minds…that’s why.

Just look at we’ve become….look at how we’re treating one another. Civil discourse, logic, and friendliness have left the arena and have been replaced by virtual weapons. The same people who once shared drinks at the Red Bar and spoke cordially over dinner in other eateries have now turned on one another.

It all started with the rudeness of a few instigators and has now caught fire like the measles in an anti-vaccer commune. I mean look at what’s going on around us… everybody is calling each other names, getting naked and photoshopping fake cop stings into social media posts, and much more.

How did we get to this point?

Best I can tell is that a few years back, one dude from one beachfront property began cussing people out for standing behind his house and other properties within his gated neighborhood. That’s right…one…single…neighborhood. A neighborhood that only encompasses about 300 to 400 yards of beach frontage.

One day, this dude cussed at the wrong dude. This new dude then gathered a bunch of other dudes and dudettes to walk down the beach while holding hands, and then… all of the sudden…other beachfront owners starting worrying about who was going to be standing behind their houses. Someone petitioned government….government acted…the dudes and dudettes got even more pissed and subsequently petitioned the government as well…. AND THEN, the other folks petitioned more government. Smear campaigns began…not for profits began…movements to incorporate initiated…and now, lawsuits have begun.

All of this because one guy was an a-hole to another guy who also happens to be an a-hole. Now, we have brothers and sisters hating one another…the original dude hiring guards to prevent folks from walking behind his house…and some new dudes running naked down the beach and making questionable claims about beach access.

As my grandmother used to say…” it’s gotten quite ugly and” we “better break it up before someone loses an eye”.

While we may disagree on the matter, why can’t we at least make an attempt at being civil to one another? You and I both know that nothing good is ever said in anger. Leave the name-calling to the politicians, and the bullying tactics to…well…those who cannot make a decent argument.

Remember…we are a small community and after all of this is settled, ugly words and actions will continue to live on.

IMHO, this is what Reggie Gaskins has been trying to tell ALL OF US.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
BMBV, You have not been paying attention about Reggie's message. He represents disrespect, divisive propaganda, authoritarianism (bullying tactics), deception and elitism. Like the letter says this was a "smear" campaign. Reggie leads a mission. He has followers (including yourself). His purpose was two-fold: Blame and Shame. It was a classic BS pie regarding property rights. I don't know if you even read the letter that you posted. The person talks about "cowardly" behavior in having such a strong opinion without having the backbone to post his name! Apparently you are not reading this stuff.

I do understand why you were upset in the beginning but there is a lot of water under the bridge now. You joined a group of people who do NOT represent you. This group despises The People. How many times do they have to call The People a bunch of fools? Maybe you despise The People also but there is hope because I sense a different tune. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt any of these characters own property in Walton County. If I am right then why do you think they are on this forum?

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
Marsh Harbor is probably not very concerned about beachfront property rights at this moment along with all of their neighbors and friends. They are experiencing an event that will change the landscape and life that they know and love. Keep this in mind when you want to claim ownership of a commodity that simply can’t be owned.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
BMBV, You have not been paying attention about Reggie's message. He represents disrespect, divisive propaganda, authoritarianism (bullying tactics), deception and elitism. Like the letter says this was a "smear" campaign. Reggie leads a mission. He has followers (including yourself). His purpose was two-fold: Blame and Shame

Thanks for letting me know the true nature of Reggie. This is great info!

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Regarding the above editorial letter, I believe the beach wars, at least here on SoWal, actually started over 12 years ago and not at (alluded to) Vizcaya:
Led away in Handcuffs

Many of you probably remember this article:
Led away in Handcuffs

Then again after rereading the letter, maybe the author was indeed referring to the Retreat. Not sure now. Bet there was a lot of “cussing” going on in both situations.

Regardless, the rest of the letter is pretty much to the point. And it’s concluding sentence:
Remember…we are a small community and after all of this is settled, ugly words and actions will continue to live on.” And I am well aware that’s a 2-way road. But the approaching traffic is definitely heavier.

Personally, I think the damage has been done. And the majority of BFOs are hunkering down (legally speaking) regardless of how their friends and neighbors feel about CU. That’s an indisputable fact.

Last edited:

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Regarding the above editorial letter, I believe the beach wars, at least here on SoWal, actually started over 12 years ago and not at (alluded to) Vizcaya:
Led away in Handcuffs

Many of you probably remember this article:
Led away in Handcuffs

Then again after rereading the letter, maybe the author was indeed referring to the Retreat. Not sure now. Bet there was a lot of “cussing” going on in both situations.

Regardless, the rest of the letter is pretty much to the point. And it’s concluding sentence:
Remember…we are a small community and after all of this is settled, ugly words and actions will continue to live on.” And I am well aware that’s a 2-way road. But the approaching traffic is definitely heavier.

Personally, I think the damage has been done. And the majority of BFOs are hunkering down (legally speaking) regardless of how their friends and neighbors feel about CU. That’s an indisputable fact.
The letter is the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to divisive language and actions. Unfortunately in this day and age people act irrationally and are quick to judge, quick to offense, quick to respond and unable to listen and contemplate. Blame culture, phones, prescription drugs, overwork, loss of trust, and many other things we've seen come about in the past 50 years and it is all accelerating as we kill the planet and realize on a deep, deep level that we are doomed. Rats on a sinking ship start attacking each other to get ahead of the waterline. The biggest rats are in Washington DC, Hollywood and state capitals - and the millions of rats around you are mimicking their behavior.