• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
If you use a tent, Sheriff Adkinson did say that beachgoers cannot set up tents in the set sand. Tents can be used on public beaches 15 feet from the toe of the dune on the landward section of public beaches.
That was supposed to say wet sand, not set sand. Duh!

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Customary Use Reminder
  • What is customary use?
    • Customary use is a common law term referring to the public access of the privately-owned beachfront property. Some Gulf-front properties in Florida have a property line that extends to the mean high water line. The mean high water line is calculated using the mean high water line tidal plane with the beach.
  • What is changing?
    • Beginning July 1st, when customary use changes go into effect, the Walton County Beach Operations and Code Enforcement officials will no longer have jurisdiction over property that is considered private based on the new customary use law. Essentially, a privately-owned beachfront property is considered the "dry sand area" and publically owned property is the "wet sand area". Now, Walton County Sherrif's Department will be the governing force for any conflicts or complications that may arise on the space in front of the properties since they would now be considered private property.
  • Does that mean I can't walk all 26 miles of our white sand beaches?
    • No, you can absolutely still walk our beautiful beaches for as far as you wish. There will still be plenty of space in the wet sand area for beach-walkers to enjoy.
  • Things to keep in mind:
    • South Walton currently has 8 Regional Public Beach Accesses complete with parking, restroom facilities, and lifeguards. The customary use changes do not affect our public beach accesses, only privately-owned beachfront property.
    • Several of our Regional Public Beach Accesses have recently undergone improvement projects to add more parking and make the access even more accessible and beautiful, as well as making your trip to the beach even easier. These accesses include Blue Mountain Beach Reginal Access 36, Ed Walline Regional Beach Access 39, and Fort Panic Regional Beach Access 43.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
All true I guess...EXCEPT the public beach accesses....only >50% of most accesses are free to the public...because the other 50%+ belongs to Vendor Mafia and believe me you have to PAY to be at the waters edge....

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
What are some of the accesses where I can go and experience the Vendor Mafia?
When I was younger I let myself be bullied by some at a condo in PCB. Now that I’m older I’m ready to rassle. Where?

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
When I was younger I let myself be bullied by some at a condo in PCB. Now that I’m older I’m ready to rassle. Where?
Visit the access nearest you today and set up an umbrella near the water for the full vendor experience.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Grayton works. Get there early (6am) and set up your beach stuff in one of the "vendor zones." Make sure to take up lots of room and don't forget to wear your rasslin' costume.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
@Grayton the Mafia is BAD better be packing a knife. At lease once a rasslin match there has broken out into a knife fight. Ask WCSO????

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Customary Use Reminder
  • What is changing?
    • Beginning July 1st, when customary use changes go into effect, the Walton County Beach Operations and Code Enforcement officials will no longer have jurisdiction over property that is considered private based on the new customary use law. Essentially, a privately-owned beachfront property is considered the "dry sand area" and publicly owned property is the "wet sand area". Now, Walton County Sherrif's Department will be the governing force for any conflicts or complications that may arise on the space in front of the properties since they would now be considered private property.
Good effort Mike. Walton Beach Operations and Code Unenforcement still have jurisdiction to enforce public beach activities ordinance on private property after July 1st and the Sheriff is the governing force to enforce the laws on private property as well. About 19 miles of Walton's 26 miles is private beach parcels with a Mean High Water Line (MHWL) south boundary. The MHWL is .75 foot Elevation from the US NAVD88 datum plane. That's the law. Beachfront owners did not create the Gulf boundary with the State. The State did. The Sheriff just has to enforce the laws, not some "rule of thumb", or he is derelict in his duty. Private beachfront is NOT, "essentially" what is considered (by whom) the "dry sand area". Public property is the "foreshore" south of the MHWL between the ML(ow)WL and submerged sands under the Gulf. Sometimes referred to as the "wet sand"; but the wet sand also presumes NO prevailing south wind to push the water above the natural tide.

The Walton Sheriff has proposed the "wet sand" beach as a convenience for his trespass SOP after July 1st because the MHWL is too hard to for him and the public to understand much less enforce, according to his recent FB video explanation. But it is NOT the law. Got this Seagrove Sky cam (thanks SoWal) from another person today. Red line is typical "wet sand". Prevailing winds today were nil. Wonder was code unenforcement was to enforce the non compliant tents on the beach in this photo? Where's the MHWL? Not sure without a survey, but bet it is about were the red line is. Me and many beachfront owners have MHWL surveys and can tell you and the Sheriff where our MHWL is. Or we can mark the MHWL with posts if the Sheriff requires, like he did in his 2105 standard operating procedure. That's essentially the law. Where would the Sheriff enforce Seagrove beach private property rights in this photo? The wet sand?
upload_2018-6-18_17-39-15.png
Live Webcam - Seagrove Beach SkyCam | SoWal.com

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I see both sides... somewhat. I believe beaches should stay open to all as a public good. Yet, we’ve been visiting for years (before the post BP Settlement boom starting in 2011) and I see how entitled, rude, and messy the tourists have become. I’m a tourist too, but have seen nasty behavior lately. I mean, we saw a couple storm out of the Cowgirl Kitchen Bar in May because the bartender couldn’t specify what kind of spicy ranch was being used.

I hesitate to bring up California but in many areas the homes are built across the street/highway from the beach with mitigates some of this. Horse is obviously out of the barn already on this but over the years we’ve all watched the McMansions block even a sliver of a view of the water from 30a. It’s not like that in Santa Monica, Venice, Dana Point, etc. They leave it wide and open for all...and don’t get me started on the beach vendor situation- from the outside looking in, it’s just gobsmaking that’s allowed on public beaches.

Interesting debate of the needs of the many vs. the needs of the few. Cheers!