• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
D & K's most recently asked question

When you own a restaurant you get, hmmmm let me count....oh yeah, a bazillion questions. Sometimes it's the same question, just asked a bazillion times. The one that everyone keeps asking us right now is..."Why in the world did you start renovating in the summer?" Let me answer that in two words...NO CHOICE! If we had waited till the end of summer we would have been too burnt out to do it. For three years we've been trying to make this move, and we always waited for fall/winter. Makes sense don't you think??? BUT, every September Doug was not in the mood (after spring break and a long hot summer) to even think about remodeling and I was too busy with the process of helping get Kalie settled in at school and tending to elderly parents.

What an eye opener.....taking care of my mother who was on hospice for 2 1/2 years. Her doctors would put her on it for 6 months...take her off, then put her back on it. What a nightmare. She died in September of 2003. Then a year later my sweet sister Jennifer Leigh passed away after being on hospice for only a month. This took a tremendous toll on both Doug and I. Fall has not been good for us over the past few years.

There is no ONE thing that kept us from starting sooner this year. It was a combination of so many things. Doug and I like to believe things happen for a reason. Believe me, it's no cakewalk renovating in the summer, but soon it will be finished and only a memory. All I want right now is AIR CONDITIONING! Thank God, it's being turned on this week!

Now, for the opening date.....sometime in August is all we know at this point. Things are beginning to come together fast! YEAH!!!!

Thanks so much for your support. We have heard great things from so many of you. I can't begin to tell you how much it helps. :bow:

Kathy

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Re: D & K's most recently asked question

ItzKatzTime said:
Now, for the opening date.....sometime in August is all we know at this point. Things are beginning to come together fast! YEAH!!!!

Kathy

How about a sample of your menu??

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I have personally had the luxury of eating some of Doug's goodies since the Paradise Cafe Days! The early to mid 80's! The bottom line is he is one of the best chefs in the area. Doug is one of the founders of fine dining in South Walton. I was upset when he stopped doing what he excels at! I also think it is very cool how Doug and Kathy like to mix it up a bit. My hat is off to you both!!! :clap_1: One last thing Doug, be sure to close on the 4th next year. For old time sake!!!! I wish you both the best and can not wait until you open!

ps. Crabmeat Louisanna!!!! Please..... :lol:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
All good things in their own time. One of the greatest things about the old D&K was that no one could push Doug. If he had enough gumbo for that night, you might get to buy enough for a small pot to take back to the house. Same with the key lime pie...if he didn't need it for customers, you might be able to buy one. And if it had been a killer day, well maybe he wouldn't cook every item on the menu.

One thing about experiencing losses such as the ones Kathy has described is that it definitely puts you on a different time reference. Things seem to take on a more majestic, and less frenetic pace.

We will all be so happy with this restaurant once it opens that we won't even think about missing it this summer. I am just so thrilled that Kathy and Doug will still have it, because I know they will do a good job and one that is reflective of all the special things about Grayton.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Bobby J said:
I have personally had the luxury of eating some of Doug's goodies since the Paradise Cafe Days! The early to mid 80's! The bottom line is he is one of the best chefs in the area. Doug is one of the founders of fine dining in South Walton. I was upset when he stopped doing what he excels at! I also think it is very cool how Doug and Kathy like to mix it up a bit. My hat is off to you both!!!

Thank you Bobby :bow: ....I'm so glad that you acknowledged that Doug was a founder of fine dining in South Walton. So many people think we are leaving our norm for something we want to try. I'm sure you agree, our menuhas always been and will continue to be local friendly. And, as always, generous portions of mouth watering selections. Doug and I have cooked, catered, served, and partied with some of the finest people all over the south. I've had my desserts flown on dry ice from South Walton and South Florida to the East coast, the West coast,the Rocky Mountains...even as far as Paris, France. Doug has made his famous Seafood Stuffed Snapper for sports legends, celebrities, chefs from all over, but more important, to friends and family. We've even cooked and served a wedding party in a Seaside Honeymoon Cottage using toaster ovens and crock pots!

Our main focus has always been making people feel comfortable and full. Of course the first D & K's had a magical ambiance. If you ate with us in the little red house on Vicki Street, then you know how it felt to be a guest in our home. I'm trying my best to bring that feeling into Grayton Beach.

You are so right we do like to mix it up a bit. We believe the newly renovated building will give us such a perfect opportunity to do just that. It will be simple, cozy, fun, elegant, intimate but most of all, it will be a mixture of the two of us....Doug and Kathy. I don't think we are in the same category as most fine dining restaurants that are so successful here in SoWal, because we just do our own thing in our own way. There are no carved in stone rules. Most of the time we make them up as we go! :rotfl:

Now see what you've done...you got me started and it's hard to stop. I just want everyone to know that we do not profess to be perfect, but we promise to do our best to make your evening a memorable one when you dine at D & K's.

Doug and I send you and Beverly and that precious son of yours a very very special thanks for your support. How could so many years have gone by??? The best is yet to be!

With much love,
Kathy & Doug

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Donna said:
All good things in their own time. One of the greatest things about the old D&K was that no one could push Doug. If he had enough gumbo for that night, you might get to buy enough for a small pot to take back to the house. Same with the key lime pie...if he didn't need it for customers, you might be able to buy one. And if it had been a killer day, well maybe he wouldn't cook every item on the menu.

One thing about experiencing losses such as the ones Kathy has described is that it definitely puts you on a different time reference. Things seem to take on a more majestic, and less frenetic pace.

We will all be so happy with this restaurant once it opens that we won't even think about missing it this summer. I am just so thrilled that Kathy and Doug will still have it, because I know they will do a good job and one that is reflective of all the special things about Grayton.

Donna the days are going by fast and it will soon be October :clap_1: ! Sometimes when I'm standing in the middle of the cafe looking at all that still needs to be done I wonder if we will be open by then. Yesterday I spoke with a man who was heartsick that we were not open. Said he'd been thinking about the gumbo all the way here. BUT, he had a big smile on his face and wished us well, telling me even though they only get to come down every two years he would look forward to coming back in another two years to experience the food we will be serving then. I wanted to hug his neck. Instead I sent him down to Bonnie's Paradise Alley Cafe at the General Store for gumbo. He'll be happy!

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, my losses have definitely put me in a new time reference. Ive spent the last two years grieving and staying close to home. I am now ready to get back to business and to seeing people once again. It won't be long now.

I am in the fun part of renovating now...the decor. When you create a new restaurant it takes on a life of itself, and things just seem to happen the way they're supposed to. Now to give it the feeling that you're dining in our home, offering some good old southern hospitality!

Take care & many thanks.....K

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Re: D & K's most recently asked question

SHELLY said:
How about a sample of your menu??

Menu will be coming in a few weeks. Don't want to give anything away this soon! ;-)

laurawood

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2006
Doug is a extremely wonderful chef. Have grown up in & around his restaurants........ am hoping oysters beinvillle makes it on the menu.
New kitchens are extremely exciting!!!
Will be the perfect restaurant to eat dinner at sunset.

That building is continually changing..... laurap