Dear 30A Cycling Enthusiasts...........

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by tutic1971, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Many good points on this thread.. bikers on Scenic 30A - it has been a regular discussion on SoWal Forums over the years... I wish they could use the bike path, but that isn't the right place for them. They belong on the road but I have encountered dangerous situations on several occasions when people are passing a biker, and the car is in my lane headed straight for me.

Seagrovegirl has the best advice... Slow down, be kind.

Yes, it is aggravating to be stuck behind a bike. Happens a LOT! But, they do have a right to ride on the road. Just take it easy.

2. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Instead of panhandlers "passing the hat" at the intersection of 30-A and 395, maybe they could pass out Valium...would that help?:blink:

3. ktape

ktape Beach Comber

Having a right to do something does not always make it right to do that thing.
    In my view the bikers that ride 30A are MORE concerned about that right than they are safety or the needs of others. They love to exercise their legal right to ride on 30A (a rode with no shoulder), but at the same time Do Not obey traffic laws. I travel between Grayton and Blue Mountain Beach several times a day, (walking, riding, and driving) and have yet to see any of the spandex crowd stop at the 4 way, yet have seen dozens run the signs.

As irritating as their Impeding of traffic is, I find their Hubris even more so.

4. Teresa

I do think bicyclists are putting themselves and others at risk when riding on 30A... Scares me!!

But the bike path isn't the right place for them.

5. rdelong43065

rdelong43065 Beach Fanatic

You said it. Thank you!

6. BeachSteelers

BeachSteelers Beach Fanatic

Too damn bad you may have to slow or wait to get around me as I ride my Road Bike on 30A or the areas other roads. Truly it isn't our fault the multi use path is abysmal and isn't safe for speeds over 15mph. Not that 30A is a much better option. I've only been hit once, nearly grilled by a double line passer and countless near runoffs. Again this is a vacation, retirement area. WTH is everyone is such a hurry for anyway. Barely anyone obeys the non- enforced speed limits in the area so don't feel we hinder just you on purpose. Standard Ignorant non caring answers here as usual for all the spandex haters out there. So all you haters now We Don't Give A Crap. Ride Baby Ride. Thanks for inspiring me to start my rides a little later in the morns this week and slow my cadence down. Your not worth my concerns. Peace

7. Douglas

Douglas Beach Comber

Where is the non-highway alternative to 30A?

8. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

The alternative is using the multi-use path or using proper transportation methods.

9. cgrovetriguy

cgrovetriguy Beach Crab

Reading these threads (because I hardly ever get on this website at all) I wonder how many of these people actually live right on 30-A (I do --directly right off the 30-A multi-use path actually) and how many folks have lived here for many decades, like we have? My wife and I are very blessed to own many properties throughout the US and I'm always amazed at the attitude of folks to this area -- no matter when they show up as the "newest resident" -- suggesting how things need to be "done better" or "their way." When we visit our other homes we blend in and try to go with the flow...it seems to not be the case in SoWal. Just an observation many of us REAL native local folks have made. (PS to be a local you must have a birth certificate from the beach area... because apparently some folks don't even grasp that concept.). I won't ride 30-A on my triathlon bike because so many yahoos are driving their cars without any regard to anyone else but themselves -- Welcome to SoWal -- as it today.

10. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

A local is someone who lives and works here full time, a native is born here, IMO. I longtime local not born here would be an implanted native. I have lived here since I was 9 years old and that was in 1972. I am a local and implanted. Unfortunately, we do not have the infrastructure to support all the visitors and bike enthusiasts along the beach. It will not get better until the locals make a stand and demand the County make improvements and stop building when our roads and paths cannot handle what is here now. It's a steep, sandy slope, because the County does not want to tell a property owner they cannot develop their property, so we continue to have more of the same. I have heard MANY visitors say it has gotten too crowded here and are going elsewhere to vacation. The only solution I see is cutting through the State Forest to create feeder roads to Hwy 98, and that is another whole bag of worms.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Ah, it's the annual bike path thread. It seems simple to me.

1-The bike path is both too rough and too crowded to ride a 20+ MPH road bike. There's danger to both cyclist and walkers/runners/cruiser bike peddlers. I'm both a cyclist and dedicated dog walker. Don't want to mix them, no sirree.
    2-Some cyclists are rude. Don't ride 2 or 3 wide on 30A.
    3-Drivers, leave the Type A attitude at home. Lighten up, you're at the beach, either on vacation or full-time. Recognize that there will be all sorts of delays, whether it's cyclists, plodding vacationers in minivans who can't find their condos, families crossing at crosswalks with kiddies and plunder, events in Seaside/Rosemary/Alys/Watercolor, or the worthy but annoying firemen who seem to pick the busiest weekend of the year to collect for a cause at 30A and 395.

So, a little patience and common courtesy fixes it. Come to think of it, that solves a lot more than the cyclist question.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  12. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

It seems to me the road bikers I see when I go to work around 0600 get it. They haul butt and share the road. And have headlights, too. The later rising spandex road warriors not so much. I can only deduce that the road bikers that are peddling after 0800 are pretty much posers.

13. hippiechick

hippiechick Beach Fanatic

It seems to me the road bikers I see when I go to work around 0600 get it. They haul butt and share the road. And have headlights, too. The later rising spandex road warriors not so much. I can only deduce that the road bikers that are peddling after 0800 are pretty much pose

Wow that is so rude! Posers, really? You are either jealous that they are out there getting exercise and your not,
    or you just feel the need to chime in on a subject people love to chat about. I personally wish it was me on that bike as I carefully go around these cool riders! They are always in great shape and just trying to live their lives, and be happy. Don't be such a Debbie downer. Go get on a bike and feel the wind on your face and remember how lucky you and me are to live in a wonderful country where you can do as you please!

14. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Like the Chinese? I freely admit I am jealous as to not have the time to be peddling around 30-A in the early morning hours, fast or slow, spandex or mere mortal clothes.

15. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

When you're about 16 years old and get your driver's license, you begin to learn the finer points of driving like passing, going around cars parked in the road, crossing the centerline and negotiating with oncoming traffic while doing so. By the time you're 18, your instincts should be honed and it should be second nature. If this is not the case then you are a bad driver and should not be on the road.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  16. Douglas

Douglas Beach Comber

I just think it's a stretch to call 30-A a "HIGHway." It's a narrow two-lane full of crosswalks, speed bumps, and blind driveways where you can't pass. More apt would be "byway" or "ONLYway."

17. BeachRob

BeachRob Beach Lover

I think we all want to be on 30-A, regardless. It's beautiful.

I have seen some bizarre forms of transport here, ever since first coming down in the early 90s.

The first time I saw a recumbent bike was on 30A.

Seen all you could see in the recumbent position whilst pedaling on land? Nowadays, you can kayak... with your feet.

You drive over the Western Lake bridge these days and you are guaranteed to see someone canoeing on a surfboard.

Also, it's not enough to "just" skateboard, now, apparently. You have to have a broomstick with an eraser on the end to push off with.

Recently, I've seen what looks like an elliptical machine on wheels scooting along in Dune Allen. I thought a Precor had fallen off it's base and was rolling out of control.

For the first time in nearly a decade, 3 days ago I spotted someone rollerblading. Rollerblading!!! (And I mean "rollerblading serious" with the wrist guards, a helmet, etc., leaning into the turns.)

Reader, I kid you not, earlier this season I saw someone on a unicycle going from Grayton to Seaside. I know what you are going to ask... and, no, he was not juggling bowling pins.

Bicycles...

We've got trail bikers, beach bikers, and road bikers.

Me, personally... Beach cruisers are a no-brainer. Mountain/trail bikes make some sense here. We have all the state park areas...

But, the Tour de France types... C'mon! I mean, I "get" it. It's your golf... your fishing... your jazzercise, etc.

But, "share the road" is really dangerous here. This mentality just doesn't work in the real/practical world on 30-A.

It's a 2 lane, narrow black-top designed, engineered, and built for automotive transport. It has no shoulder in most places. The ground along the road is extremely soft. A car or a bike could tumble just by letting one tire sink into the sand. Why risk it?

I also think it's a rude hobby. Yesterday morning I was subjected to a pack of Lance Armstrongs who had the ball to roll up to Modica Market with their wedding tackle shrink-wrapped to their thighs and their kits unzipped. Gag a maggot. I'm trying to eat breakfast.

To respond to previous posts, I see problems with a few comments I've read.

First... "Cars driving the open road should slow down for cyclists, who use the highway because people on the bike path are too slow for them." :confused:

Second... "It only takes 30 seconds to wait to pass a cyclist." (in an isolated scenario of 1 car and 1 bike.) and "This is the beach. Relax!" In theory, that's great. We all should slow down and relax at the beach. In reality... I'm not the only car behind the bike going 7 miles an hour up the curvy hill at Camp Creek. In fact, it's pretty hard to relax when I'm being tailgated by the spa manager, who is being tailgated by the cook, who is being tailgated by the waiter, who is being tailgated by the shop worker, who is being tailgated by the real estate agent, who is being tailgated by the Texan in the Land Cruiser. All of us will have to wait 30 seconds or more, each, to pass the bicyclist who is going 7MPH up the curvy road at Camp Creek because the bike path is unsuitably slow for him.

And, basically, what it all boils down to... a road bike can cost $2,000/$5,000/$9,000. By the time he's bought the bib, the race replica kit, the Oakleys, the goofy helmet with the tail fins, and the clip-in shoes, a middle-aged-man-in-lycra is wearing between $500 and $2,000 in overpriced sporting apparel with unnecessary logos.

It's all just another silly toy for grownups. But, it's causing unnecessary danger for the hobbyist and the general public.

And the reason it is dangerous is because 30-A is the only road here. And the reason 30-A is the only road here is because the land is finite, as we are next to an ocean, and there are coastal dune lakes and state parks. And there is pedaling exercise to be had in the ocean, the dune lakes, and the state parks.

Thanks for reading. Here is a video of jazzercising:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  18. pennstater

pennstater Beach Comber

I have been a part time resident of Seagrove for ten years. I am aware of one serious motor vehicle/cyclist accident on 30A. Actually a teenager CROSSING 30A on a bicycle. There may be others. But, if conditions were as dangerous as some posts suggest where are all these accidents.

In truth, you are complaining about a slight inconvenience. Someone else impinging on your perceived right to drive 2 tons of metal in the manner you see fit.

How many times have you been delayed by a 7 MPH cyclist? Really? Better have your speedometer checked.

Most cyclists in the roadway would be doing 18 - 22 MPH. In a group even faster. I know I can keep up with traffic at the speed limit through Seaside and Watercolor. Though I am always surprised by how many vehicles exceed the speed limit. So when you are waiting even a minute to safely pass this cyclist in a 45 MPH zone you have actually been delayed only about 30 seconds. Not much 45 MPH zone left on 30A so your delay is usually even shorter.

While I'm at what are we back in high school. Making fun of the way people dress. If you don't like it don't look.

19. Teresa

Agree with everyone here, including gross outfits.. Just saw some see through spandex pants last week on a man who was nowhere near young or hot. I know this is the beach but I don't need to see your actual butt on a bike crossing Hwy 98...

The real issue is safety. I don't mind waiting behind a biker on 30A..what I do mind is when traffic is coming towards me in my lane passing a bike, on a curve, and my life flashes for a few seconds. Its happened many times. Not a safe way to travel.

20. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

I think serious road cycling is an absolutely ridiculous and dangerous activity, but I don't think drivers should have any problem accomodating these dorks.