Destin Chops on 30a

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Bricktop, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Bricktop

Bricktop Beach Comber

Looking to take the wife there for our anniversary this weekend. Any reviews or reccomendations? Thanks!

Also, havent been here in a while, so if there is something new and better, I'm all ears.

2. Hop

Hop Beach Fanatic

Lake Place and Cafe Tango are romantic places.

3. ameliaj

ameliaj Beach Fanatic

We go to Chops for the Happy hour and Sushi. We absolutely love it. Restaurant Paradis is also fabulous. We went there for our anniversary.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  4. seacrestgirl

seacrestgirl Beach Fanatic

Chops is the best place for happy hour and sushi! That's all I've had...Although, I heard they may have lost their famous sushi chef.

5. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Best filet mignon ever at Chops!!! the sides were delicious too! can't wait to go back.

6. cooper

cooper Beach Lover

We're going saturday pm; special night out without kids. Heard great things about originial spot in destin, but haven't been ourselves. Any suggestions?

7. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Caliza Rest. at the pool in Alys Beach - if the weather cooperates since it is basically an outside dining experience around their pool which is gorgeous.

8. Iris

Iris Beach Fanatic

I would put Onano (Rosemary Beach), Paradis (Rosemary Beach). Cafe Tango (SRB/BMB), Caliza (Alys Beach), drinks at sundown at Tarpon Club (Seaside Beach) then dinner downstairs at Bud & Ally's over Chops. If you go to Chops, go between 5:00 and 6:00 PM for their buy one get one free. I would look at their menu on line......reasonable entree prices with the BOGO, but the sides are on the hefty side. $8 for a loaded baked potato, etc. Yes, yes, yes, it's for two, but what if you don't want the same sides?

If you read the menu it says the steaks are cooked with a seasoned butter and in the online (facebook) interview with Chef Gio he says that he only seasons with salt and pepper.....no mention of butter?

And then there is the Double Airline Breast of Chicken. It just doesn't sound very appealing as someone who has flown over a million miles over the last 20 years and eaten a lot of "Airline Chicken".

Sorry if I sound so critical, this is just my opinion.

9. John R

John R needs to get out more

Airline Chicken Breast is a specific cut, with the first wing segment left on.

10. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

Bud and Alley's over Chops? Really?

11. Iris

Iris Beach Fanatic

There is nothing better than sipping on a coctail watching a beautiful sunset....very romantic.

12. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

I'm with you on that. For a minute I thought you were talking about the food.

13. cooper

cooper Beach Lover

Enjoyed dinner at Chops very much Saturday night. Had sushi as appetizer and it was terrific. If you are not a steak fan, I'd still very much recommend stopping by the bar to sample the chef's creations. Very fresh tuna, salmon, and yellow-fin, really well done with the rice. The steaks were wonderful cuts of meat. The comment above about the butter is correct. I really thought the butter took away from the quality of the steak and its preparation and overpowered the flavor of the beef. Next time, will ask if it can be left out. Otherwise the service was fantastic and the whole experience was very enjoyable. They said they plan to stay open this winter, and I very much hope they (and others) are successful in moving to year round operations.

14. Iris

Iris Beach Fanatic

Ruth's Chris leaves the butter off if you ask. I am sure they will also. A fine steak does not sit in butter and I am a real butter fan. I am a purist, salt, pepper and steak, no sauces if the steak is prime! It has its' own great flavor......even if cooked in an iron skillet.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009