• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
They are indeed making huge ruts in our beaches from Grayton to the Richtreat. AA have you heard anything back on your inquiries?

Where are all of the leaders who protested the oil spill? This is as bad if not worse for our specific area?

I would be very interested in staging a protest and blocking off the path of these dump trucks by placing several tents in their path. Anyone on board?

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
Tip: if you lay in front of a bulldozer on the beach wear black, not white.

Do contractors need a permit from the county to drive on the beach for a project like that?
Is red clay legal on the beach?
Are sea oats protected?
Endangered species habitat?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Arkiehawg, my "chat" with FDEP was completely non productive. Their claim is that they only permitted construction, and have nothing to do with transportation of materials. The FDEP representative turned me back to the County. I called and talked to one Commissioner and informed one other. She said she would notify Code Enforcement and get back to me. That was only yesterday. I believe this is much worse, as far as our local situation is concerned, than the oil spill. Supposedly they received permission to transport the sand from someone in the County. It would seem that once again, money speaks the loudest.

In regard to the tents and blocking the path, our beach is "private" and I believe I can get our board of directors to go along with such a plan. Also, our beach is very narrow at this time. As I have stated previously, I do not understand how they at the Retreat feel they have the right to violate other's "private" beach in order to get to their posted "private" beach. They, as an association, should be ashamed!

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
File injunction

I am in Gulf Trace and have seen the destruction. It's completely unbelievable what they are doing to this beach. I have seen 50 feet erode. You cannot safely walk through the state park beaches. Where are the attorneys when you need them. Someone needs to file an injunction and have a stop work order. Additionally, I suspect the communities impacted should consider a class action lawsuit.

There are other options to get the sand to the dunes.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
There were dozens and dozens of offenses like this in 2005. The greatest travesty since allowing dunes to be sold as residential lots. Whoever allowed that is who really deserves our never-ending scorn. If we had no houses where dunes once stood we would have wide, high beaches. And no seawalls or geotubes, both of which are one of the worst things ever done to any natural environment anywhere.

However it would have been nice in 2005 and now for someone who works for the county to have enough sense and courage to do what is right. To stand up and protect our beaches and our way of life.

Apparently we have incompetent bureaucrats in charge of one of the world's most precious resources - our beautiful beaches.

In my opinion every penny of BP money and every cent of bed tax should go toward restoring and enhancing our beaches. Doing otherwise is throwing good money after bad, not to mention negligent. To advertise for more tourists instead of taking care of our beaches is short sighted at best and criminal at worst.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Seawalls and geotubes will make the beaches worse. They will interrupt the natural processes and lower the beach level during high surf, erode adjacent dunes during storms, and will make a bloody mess when a storm uncovers and scatters them.

All of that money wasted which will do more harm than good to all of us. All that money should have gone to beach restoration. Pay it into a fund instead of doing more damage.

Maybe beachfront owners should be paying large assessments for the privilege to own land that was once dunes. Yes, in effect paying for the sins of the past.

Pay the price or abandon the property so that we can repair the past mistakes and reclaim the beaches for all!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Seawalls and geotubes will make the beaches worse. They will interrupt the natural processes and lower the beach level during high surf, erode adjacent dunes during storms, and will make a bloody mess when a storm uncovers and scatters them.

All of that money wasted which will do more harm than good to all of us. All that money should have gone to beach restoration. Pay it into a fund instead of doing more damage.

Maybe beachfront owners should be paying large assessments for the privilege to own land that was once dunes. Yes, in effect paying for the sins of the past.

Pay the price or abandon the property so that we can repair the past mistakes and reclaim the beaches for all!

Do you have any real idea of what you are talking about and if so, how? Your posts are completely off the subject at hand and 2005 is long past.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Yes I know what I am talking about, having watched and studies intently since 2005 and before. The offending work is still there, waiting to be uncovered and spread all over our beaches. Who is going to pay to clean up the thousands of tons of debris? And I'm sure all of the unacceptable soil used for most of the work will remain regardless.

I don't know who I am talking to however, a beachfront homeowner I'm guessing?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The only thing you are right about, IMO, is that I'm a beachfront owner. The rest is pure conjecture on your part and nothing more. And yes, I am well aware of the slanted, bias environmental studies offered by some who don't have a bit of real fact to base them on. We have become a nation of the sky is falling/or will fall based on absolutely no valid proof. The pragmatic, common sense, lets build a great America, rationale I grew up with and participated in. is, IMO, long gone. I am certainly glad I lived and worked when I did.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
If you were rational you'd sell. The sky isn't falling but the beach is disappearing and the seas are rising.