• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We need to play catch-up with our tourist infrastructure very soon. It seems the TDC has become mostly a marketing/PR firm, and while it is great that so many people are coming here (mostly not because of the TDC efforts, I suspect, or mayeb 50/50 because i am feeling generous this morning), we are currently at capacity at the beach accesses- which is THE reason people come to South Walton. There needs to be a shift in philosophy- shouldn't we be caring just as much about the visitor AFTER they get here as we care when spending all that marketing money to GET them here?

I am all about the idea of rolling the TDC in with the Chamber- a little Google research showed that many (maybe the majority) of cities operate this way. I have not heard one valid reason why this cannot happen.

*Find the way to improve the beach accesses- buy the land, build the parking, walkways, restrooms, lifeguard stands, beach education info stands, picnic areas. I know there is a way that this can be done.

*Improve the 30A bike path (death path)- especially decent bridges across Western Lake. Keep it maintained and functional. There is going to be a really ugly accident on one of those Western Lake bridges very soon.

*Help manage heavy visitor weeks (like spring break) better- use TDC funds to pay for extra security or whatever it takes. Have the TDC take the lead in working with the different resort communities on ways to manage the springbreakers- like help them get the plan in place before they arrive.

*Have more public recreation facilities- not every visitor stays in a place with a pool and tennis courts. Help fund a public pool South Walton- it would be used by visitors, and used for training for our lifeguards. It would be filled with snowbirds in the winter, swim meets, and tourists when the flags are red and they can't get in the water.

I have more ideas about some useful functions of the TDC- but have to get moving this morning-

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The reality is that we need a Tourism Infrastructure Council. Since we live in the internet world most already have creative websites to find renters. Marketing will be the least of our worries over the next few years as the lack of infrastucture to support the numbers of people already here will quickly turn into a negative association with the 30A area to vacation safely and conveniently. The mission of the TDC needs to change now before we start having more negative feedback from visitors. Since infrastructure issues are not as glamorous as marketing a paradise this is going to be a big problem to convince enough people that we need to change our ways before it is too late. How many more tragic events do we need before we wake up and smell the urgency?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I was thinking that a new Western Lake pedestrian and bike bridge named after Mr. Modica would have been a better thing for Gaetz to have pushed through the legislature than the 30a name change.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It is really nice to see the positive and visionary posts here regarding our major industry, tourism. I would submit that much of the bed tax money could be put in a trust fund to be accessed for use to build beach accesses where possible, visitor information kiosks, manned by our youth looking for summer jobs and funds to be used for beach restoration after tropical storms and hurricanes. I see no shortage of tourists on the beach. The bed tax money can be put to better use than it now is. The money could also be used for better enforcement of beach regulations in a curtious manner.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The immediate - cease all activity on this Discovery Center in any way, shape, or form until the after the BCC election. No discussion of the building until the actual functions of the TDC are examined - working on this building is putting the cart before the horse. There will be 2 new commissioners for sure after the election, maybe 3- why do we want possibly half of the BCC making these decisions when it is possible that 3 won't be around?

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
The immediate - cease all activity on this Discovery Center in any way, shape, or form until the after the BCC election. No discussion of the building until the actual functions of the TDC are examined - working on this building is putting the cart before the horse. There will be 2 new commissioners for sure after the election, maybe 3- why do we want possibly half of the BCC making these decisions when it is possible that 3 won't be around?

I don't post much anymore, but this post from JDarg sums up what I've heard many other locals feel - TDC, stop the presses on a new building until after the election so that it doesn't appear you and/or any commisioner(s) are in cahoots to push through a new building that may or may not be necessary.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
How do we get our thoughts into the right hands? I realize that each of us need to make more effort to make phone calls and attend meetings but many of us are just trying to raise a family and make a living. Should we start an online petition? The money that the TDC has access to is going to get spent and probably fairly quickly if there is a sense of growing support against new buildings and less marketing and more support for infrastructure (parking, beach access, lifeguards, lifeguard stations, lifeguard equipment, beach improvements, picnic areas, 30A improvements, bike path improvements and the list goes on and on). I am certain that the money could be better in a way that will improve the tourist's quality of vacation which will translate to a very successful marketing strategy.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Never mind. Not excellent. Requested meeting date June 26th, 9 am, in DEFUNIAK.